• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did Sergio really just do what they say he did?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, you're trying to pretend as though this has been made a matter of national security and testimony before Congress will start on Monday. Why are you trying to equate this with real life problems cause no one else is. Of course it's not important but in this thread we're talking about Sergio's comments, not the 700 babies that will die in the next hour from malnutrition.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps that's what we should be talking about. At least that has some relevance to our lives and is of some importance. He meant it as a joke and onl panicked and apologized when the politically correctness posse got after him.
Humor that involves racial stereotyping that guys like Chapelle and George Lopez do is the funniest stuff there is. Don't try to turn us all in to like-thinking robots.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't banter between drunk buddies on a golf course. A professional athlete used racial stereotypes in the context of discussing a black peer who he spares no opportunity to disparage. In that context, it was ignorant and offensive. And it was very public.

I was pulling for Sergio to beat Tiger until this but now he just looks like a cocky bourgeois European who thinks it's funny to toss racial stereotypes around that haven't been funny since Fred Sanford.

Fair enough. I'll leave it alone.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. I'll leave it alone.

This is the kinda thing where if we're talking about it in a bar, we'll totally agree. Trying to express yourself in absolutes on some internet forum almost never works. In the grand scheme of things, no it's not the least bit important.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it offensive to acknowledge that black people love chicken? Are they embarrassed about it for some reason? I love racial humor, I think it shows the differences between us all that we can laugh at and enjoy; and especially laugh at ourselves. I love to watch a guy like Dave Chappelle do his imitation of a stereotypical white guy. I'm not offended at all, it cracks me up.

He apologized because those holier than thou writers feigned indignation and horror that someone could think such a thing. The fact that they want to make Sergio their whipping boy is now going to make me root for him.

Bottom line if you are worried about someone saying you like chicken, you need to get a life; worry about something that is important.

Now Fred Sanford......that was some funny shit.

Black people making fun of black people is often funny (Chris Rock comes to mind). Or any person making fun of their own culture/religion...often hilarious. Not so funny when it's a person from one culture making fun of another culture, especially when the culture being made fun of has been historically abused and degraded for many hundreds of years.

In the context of how he used, it was most certainly racial and anyone with half a brain knows it. It was ignorant and offensive, otherwise he wouldn't be admitting as much and apologizing. Any professional who would say something that stupid and ignorant in the year 2013 loses absolutely every shred of credibility they once had.

:clap::clap::clap:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Black people making fun of black people is often funny (Chris Rock comes to mind). Or any person making fun of their own culture/religion...often hilarious. Not so funny when it's a person from one culture making fun of another culture, especially when the culture being made fun of has been historically abused and degraded for many hundreds of years.

Well, Black and Hispanic comedians make fun of white people all the time but it doesn't bother me. Its usually pretty damn funny. There is a double standard there but would I trade places with them with all the built in societal advantages I have from being a white male in this country? Not on your life.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a stupid thing to say - but not racist.

Racisim is defined as: views that members of a certain race share attributes which make them undesirable or inferior.

Black people like chicken; Hispanics like burritos; White people like hamburgers and hot dogs....... SO WHAT!

None of that is "inferior." In fact out of those chicken and collared greens are probably the most healthy option - So Sergio may have been giving him a compliment.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's reinforcing racial stereotypes. It's ignorant, not racist. And it makes him look like a total fool because he used it publicly against someone he confesses to hating.

Some of you guys are so desperate to paint this as racism and therefore minimize it. If some idiots in the media are doing that I'm not the least bit surprised. But I'm not. I don't think it's racism; it's just ignorant.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sergio is an idiot.

EOT

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sergio is an idiot.

EOT

I think that you're getting close. He was asked a somewhat off the cuff question & I think his brain could not keep up with his mouth. He probably thought it would come out funny, but as Fuzzy found out, the chicken jokes just aren't playing anymore. If he could take it back, I'm sure he would. Whether or not it's really that news worthy, is another story. :2cents:

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quit talking about this Segio fried chicken talk. You're making me hungry!

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tiger and Sergio are putting it behind them

So this is how a golf feud, which by its very definition is the lamest kind of feud in sports, ends: with a gentlemanly handshake on the practice green.
Embroiled in a bit of a spat for several weeks, Sergio Garcia and Tiger Woods may have made peace. After The Mystery Of The Drawn Club, and "the first thing he's told you guy's that's true in 15 years," and fried chicken, this little tiff may finally draw to a close. Garcia approached Woods on the practice green on Monday at Merion and extended his hand. Woods, as you can see above, shook it.
Yeah, "Game of Thrones"-level political backstabbing intrigue, this ain't.
The war of words between two of the world's most famous golfers hit its apex at the BMW Championship a few weeks ago when Garcia made his infamous "fried chicken" remark, and everybody backed off the throttle. At the time, Garcia tried to reach out to Woods, but was rebuffed.
"We talked to his manager and asked him if he wanted us to call Tiger, or wait for Merion and do it there face to face," Garcia said at the time. "And they said they would rather do it there. There's nothing we can do, so we'll wait until we get there and we'll talk."
The practice-range exchange was brief, and when asked about it afterward, Woods simply said, "I'm not going there." Both Woods and Garcia are scheduled to speak on Tuesday, and you can bet that this feud will be a key topic.

Y! SPORTS

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
d0610tw.jpg