• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did DAT give Stanford tackling fuel?

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
De'Anthony Thomas: Oregon 'should at least put up 40' on Stanford - CBSSports.com

"I feel we are a better team, just a new generation of players," Thomas told GoDucks.com. "We've got a lot of guys that can contribute to the offense and that's what makes this offense to dynamic."

Thomas was then asked if he thought Stanford could hold the Ducks offense to 14 points -- Oregon's total from the 2012 loss.

"I don't think so," Thomas replied. "I feel like this team, we should at least put up 40."

Did he pull the football equivalent of calling the shot? I dont know if pissing off opposing defenses is a good thing. Maybe we should ask Bo Wallace if he still thinks Ole Miss can score on anyone. Its never a good idea to open your mouth and give the team yet another reason to get hyped up and this, to me, is a big sign of disrespect and may just come back to haunt Oregon.

And yes, I used the waterboy reference on purpose.

Chicago-Bama

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what happens when a tree gets mad?

Nothin.........

UtahUte

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,143.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
De'Anthony Thomas: Oregon 'should at least put up 40' on Stanford - CBSSports.com

Did he pull the football equivalent of calling the shot? I dont know if pissing off opposing defenses is a good thing. Maybe we should ask Bo Wallace if he still thinks Ole Miss can score on anyone. Its never a good idea to open your mouth and give the team yet another reason to get hyped up and this, to me, is a big sign of disrespect and may just come back to haunt Oregon.

And yes, I used the waterboy reference on purpose.

You and FSU fans are really pulling for Stanford this weekend, I can feel it. Cuz some where deep down inside, I smell fear from a bama fan. Oregon is the last team they want to face in the CCG. It isin't disrespect at all, it's confidence in his team to win a game. Plain and simple. Go Utes

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what happens when a tree gets mad?

Nothin.........

I am not so sure, I can show you plenty of pictures of damage to houses and cars where trees got a bit riled up by a big wind(calling shot) and took its fury out on the closest thing. I bet his coach has had a word or two with him over this at any rate. just thought it would make for good discussion.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You and FSU fans are really pulling for Stanford this weekend, I can feel it. Cuz some where deep down inside, I smell fear from a bama fan. Oregon is the last team they want to face in the CCG. It isin't disrespect at all, it's confidence in his team to win a game. Plain and simple. Go Utes

You dont even know me and feel safe to blab that crap over the internet. I am on record as saying I felt the ducks would prevail, but to pass up an opportunity to start a possible war of words is too good to miss.

And you thinking a Bama fan fears any other team is ludicrous. Actually i would prefer to not face FSU as i think they have the best shot at beating Bama being a more physical team, but thats just my opinion. I dont think Oregon can play a really physical game for 4 quarters, but again thats my opinion.

Chicago-Bama

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think I can speak for all Bama fans when I say, We don't care who we play as long as we get there. :hope:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think bama fans care who they pay in the title game as long as they're in the title game.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not so sure, I can show you plenty of pictures of damage to houses and cars where trees got a bit riled up by a big wind(calling shot) and took its fury out on the closest thing. I bet his coach has had a word or two with him over this at any rate. just thought it would make for good discussion.

D Shaw just keeps on winning for the most part. Never easy and almost always ugly. Seems the same as a big tree falling and destroying something nearby on it's way down. Shaw is a damn good game planner and should NEVER be over-looked.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wont matter what DAT said. Oregon wins by 3 td's plus.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm pulling for anyone to beat either Oregon or Alabama. I don't care who, just as long as it happens.

BeaverShaver

Blocked, Ignored, and Hated in equal parts (12)
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DAT and anyone else on the Oregon Offense should feel that way. The only thing that surprises me is that is seems that the muzzle that Chip Kelly used to keep on his players is gone. Helfrich is a much different coach, I think Oregon fans recognized this when he actually called the UW game a rivalry game.

ida one

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the Stanford and Oregon game is going to be close.

By close i mean it's going to be close for Stanford to get 14 points while Oregon will be close to getting 40 :ss:

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a lot of confidence in Stanford winning this game early season because of their defense. Now with injuries, not as much.

Hopefully DAT's words will motivate the Cardinal players.

Teams have been hanging with Oregon, some well into the 2nd half. I see Stanford doing the same and with a break here or there late in the game they could pull it off.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like saying "should" is a lot different than "will" I got no problem with it. if he said Oregon will do it then yeah

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If DAT's comments are the fuel Stanford needs, then I have sorely overestimated Shaw as a motivator. Shaw himself said, if Stanford's O plays the way they have since Utah, there is no way they win. He is trying to motivate the team by setting an expectation and holding them accountable to it. DAT has a valid point, nothing I have seen from Oregon this year leads me to believe that they could not score 40 on almost anyone. That said, I do think should Murphy, Skov, Tarpley Andersen and company do their job the way they can, Oregon will not see 40. It does take just one missed assignment to let Oregon score though.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If DAT's comments are the fuel Stanford needs, then I have sorely overestimated Shaw as a motivator. Shaw himself said, if Stanford's O plays the way they have since Utah, there is no way they win. He is trying to motivate the team by setting an expectation and holding them accountable to it. DAT has a valid point, nothing I have seen from Oregon this year leads me to believe that they could not score 40 on almost anyone. That said, I do think should Murphy, Skov, Tarpley Andersen and company do their job the way they can, Oregon will not see 40. It does take just one missed assignment to let Oregon score though.

All coaches use things like this as extra motivation, even Saban. I didnt say they needed motivation, i asked did he give them more reason to play even harder. We saw words earlier this year used as a fuel for a shutout against a team who has scored pretty well on every other team they have played.

EverybodyDuck

Big Johnson
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Stanford needs motivation for this game, they are already defeated.

I think it's good that DAT sets goals for himself. What if this statement inspired DAT because of everyone's reaction to it?

Beyond Mariota, DAT will be the best player on that field. At his best, Stanford won't be able to slow him down.

DAT and Oregon will be smiling at the end of the game when they have more points than Stanford. Doesn't much matter what the actual point totals are.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Stanford needs motivation for this game, they are already defeated.

I think it's good that DAT sets goals for himself. What if this statement inspired DAT because of everyone's reaction to it?

Beyond Mariota, DAT will be the best player on that field. At his best, Stanford won't be able to slow him down.

DAT and Oregon will be smiling at the end of the game when they have more points than Stanford. Doesn't much matter what the actual point totals are.

Then why say it? All you are doing is giving the other team a lack of respect factor and extra motivation for the game. I never stated they didnt have motivation, i asked if this gave them "tackling fuel" as in a motivating factor that could be used over and over. We will see if this has no effect, or if it gave Stanford an added incentive at game time. If Oregon loses, you know this will be brought back up because he "poked the bear" to to speak.

BeaverShaver

Blocked, Ignored, and Hated in equal parts (12)
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we are looking at this the wrong way. Possibly, DAT's comments are actually a knock on Oregon. I mean they average more than 40 points per game. Maybe Helfrich is using DAT's comments to motivate the rest of the Duck Offense. As if to say, "40 is all you got?"
:whistle:

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
De'Anthony Thomas: Oregon 'should at least put up 40' on Stanford

"I feel we are a better team, just a new generation of players," Thomas told GoDucks.com
Thomas was then asked if he thought Stanford could hold the Ducks offense to 14 points -- Oregon's total from the 2012 loss.
"I don't think so," Thomas replied. "I feel like this team, we should at least put up 40."
Thomas' comment was relayed to Stanford coach David Shaw on Monday. Shaw did not have an issue with the comment.

David Shaw reacted to De'Anthony Thomas' comment (Oregon should score at least 40): "I've seen em play, no problem with him saying that."