• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dez starts the game dropping the ball

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you came to SportsHoopla you listed the Patriots and Cowboys as the teams you follow. I'm calling you out.
I think you are thinking of Hank. Manster was a Redskins fan:rolleyes2:

BottleWalk

Holier Than Thou
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to trade Dez, but no one would ever take on his contract after he quit on his team today
There are many teams who would love to have a player like him, even given the laundry list of things wrong with him. Off the top of my head there's Baltimore (they tend not to take risks on such players but they know as well as anyone they haven't come close to filling the "physical receiver" hole that Boldin left years ago), the Jets, Kansas city, Chicago, San francisco, and maybe even Washington. All of these teams could use a receiver like dez, although only about half of them could handle his antics (the cowboys haven't, although it's tough).

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dez is an embarrassment to the Cowboys and to the number 88.

Three years ago, there was a discussion on his worth to the Cowboys. At that time, Twisted and I were in agreement that the best thing for Dallas would have been to trade him for a 1st and 2nd, which, at the time, was a reasonable expectation. Today, I don't think you could get someone to take him at all because of his cap hit and his antics on the sideline.

He's a fumble machine and an in-game team-destroyer. He will make the occasional big play, but he finds more ways to kill drives than he does to keep them alive.

Personally, if it were me, I would cut him right now, even before the last game, and let the whole team know that no player is more important than the Star. If you want to play for the Dallas Cowboys, keep your mouth shut and do your freaking job.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Three years ago, there was a discussion on his worth to the Cowboys. At that time, Twisted and I were in agreement that the best thing for Dallas would have been to trade him for a 1st and 2nd, which, at the time, was a reasonable expectation. Today, I don't think you could get someone to take him at all because of his cap hit and his antics on the sideline.

He's a fumble machine and an in-game team-destroyer. He will make the occasional big play, but he finds more ways to kill drives than he does to keep them alive.

Personally, if it were me, I would cut him right now, even before the last game, and let the whole team know that no player is more important than the Star. If you want to play for the Dallas Cowboys, keep your mouth shut and do your freaking job.
l know twist was adamant against Dez. He's the first one I thought of when this discussion surfaced.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dez cap hit the next 2 years is $16.5M. That is the 3rd highest for any WR both years and he was 2nd highest this year. If you cut or trade him you take an $8M hit - post 6/1 it's $4M 2018 and 2019. Considering his cap hit is $16.5M if you keep him, that is a significant savings and something to consider if the team feels about him the way a lot of you do. I don't think the team would even consider cutting him and as bad as he was this year (really the last 3 years he has been shitty) I look at this roster without him and it is way worse. Dez is going nowhere unless we get a top WR to take his spot and don't think any NFL team is going to rely on the possibility of taking a guy in the draft to fill that spot. It's just too much of a crap shoot to assume you draft a guy that good and even if you luck out and do, you can't expect that production year one. The last thing this team needs to be doing right now is decreasing the talent at WR. Only chance Dez is not here next year is if we are able to sign another top WR in FA to replace him and even with the cap savings that cutting him would bring, that is going to be tough with all of the guys we need to resign:2cents:

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dez cap hit the next 2 years is $16.5M. That is the 3rd highest for any WR both years and he was 2nd highest this year. If you cut or trade him you take an $8M hit - post 6/1 it's $4M 2018 and 2019. Considering his cap hit is $16.5M if you keep him, that is a significant savings and something to consider if the team feels about him the way a lot of you do. I don't think the team would even consider cutting him and as bad as he was this year (really the last 3 years he has been shitty) I look at this roster without him and it is way worse. Dez is going nowhere unless we get a top WR to take his spot and don't think any NFL team is going to rely on the possibility of taking a guy in the draft to fill that spot. It's just too much of a crap shoot to assume you draft a guy that good and even if you luck out and do, you can't expect that production year one. The last thing this team needs to be doing right now is decreasing the talent at WR. Only chance Dez is not here next year is if we are able to sign another top WR in FA to replace him and even with the cap savings that cutting him would bring, that is going to be tough with all of the guys we need to resign:2cents:
A lot will depend on the draft. Let's say the Cowboys took a guy like Alabama WR Calvin Ridley in the 1st round...Cutting Dez becomes a real option. I've heard clueless national guys talking about moving Dez to the slot, but the Cowboys have that more than covered with Beasley and Switzer. You could bump TWill, but how do you really think Dez would act as the #2 receiver? I wonder what the fine would be for a player dropping his pants and pooping on the field lol

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot will depend on the draft. Let's say the Cowboys took a guy like Alabama WR Calvin Ridley in the 1st round...Cutting Dez becomes a real option. I've heard clueless national guys talking about moving Dez to the slot, but the Cowboys have that more than covered with Beasley and Switzer. You could bump TWill, but how do you really think Dez would act as the #2 receiver? I wonder what the fine would be for a player dropping his pants and pooping on the field lol
I agree that after the draft and moreso later in the Summer it could become a possibility. But wouldn't it be great to have Dez plus a guy you felt was good enough to allow us to cut Dez? It's business so it always comes down to: do you use that $16.5M per year on Dez or do you getting a bigger benefit from using the $12.5M you have if you cut him on another player. Blaming the last 3 years on Dak and thinking Dez has the ability to become dominant again is plain silly if you watch the guy play. He can't get open, he drops way too many balls, going back to his entire time here it always seems his routes are in question and he isn't in the right spot causing poor throws that perhaps are not, he seems more concerned with talking shit with defenders that are flat out owning him than getting in the huddle, he whines constantly on the field about getting the ball but doesn't deserve it, but even with all of that I just don't think this team is better without him than we are with him. He is probably only worth about half his salary, but I just don't think it's the smart move to cut him.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can say what you want about trading, cutting or benching him, but we still need Dez near the goalline. IF Witten retires there is no other receiver that puts stress on the defense. We need a new #1 receiver, someone the other team has to respect. That alone will help Dez by taking defensive attention away from him. He has only been playing around half the snaps, which is odd to do, but it is the right thing. Williams or Butler will be brought back. Need to get a big time WR in the draft - preferably one who runs good routes and has no trouble getting open.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. Unless you get better, you keep him.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can say what you want about trading, cutting or benching him, but we still need Dez near the goalline. IF Witten retires there is no other receiver that puts stress on the defense. We need a new #1 receiver, someone the other team has to respect. That alone will help Dez by taking defensive attention away from him. He has only been playing around half the snaps, which is odd to do, but it is the right thing. Williams or Butler will be brought back. Need to get a big time WR in the draft - preferably one who runs good routes and has no trouble getting open.
Agree. People don't seem to realize that other teams plan on stopping Dez. This should have opened up things for the other WR. Why did it not? Coaching/QB? Like I said you put Dez on the Packers, Eagles, Patriots, ETC. They would find a better way to use him.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dez, like someone else said needs a change of scenery or he can stay here and be a 65-70 catch guy. I still think he is a huge red zone threat and those guys don't grow on trees. I mean as easy as it is to run Zeke three times inside the two, it is pretty close to the same as throwing him three jump balls. We have to change some things with the pass routes and timing based throws.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. People don't seem to realize that other teams plan on stopping Dez. This should have opened up things for the other WR. Why did it not? Coaching/QB? Like I said you put Dez on the Packers, Eagles, Patriots, ETC. They would find a better way to use him.

I refuse to believe he has gone from top 5 to a number 2 WR. Now he may be 15-20 but he would scare me more than anything else we have besides Zeke.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was lower too, but according to Football outsiders Dez played 84% of snaps this year. And agree he is still a big time threat in the red zone. But he did have a few drops on would be TDs also.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks played him straight man all day long, and Richard Sherman didn't play. He had two drops, one of which led to a pick, and he fumbled when he was holding the ball like a loaf of bread.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks played him straight man all day long, and Richard Sherman didn't play. He had two drops, one of which led to a pick, and he fumbled when he was holding the ball like a loaf of bread.
I can't remember too many times when teams didn't play him straight up this year.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't remember too many times when teams didn't play him straight up this year.
Exactly. People talk about Romo throwing Dez open, and maybe he did, but Romo was a HELL of a lot better QB the last 4-5 years than he was the first 6-7. Dak is in his second year, Tony was still holding a clipboard his second season. If Dez needs someone to "throw him open" because he is constantly blanketed by single coverage, then he isn't close to being an elite receiver

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think injuries more than anything else has changed who Dez is.
As for Dak, maybe this is who he is, maybe not. We need to see before we toss him out with the bath water. Its not like any of us thought Dak would light the NFL on fire his rookie season, most if not all said he's gonna take time to learn how to be an NFL QB.
Next season will give us more insight on his future.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. People talk about Romo throwing Dez open, and maybe he did, but Romo was a HELL of a lot better QB the last 4-5 years than he was the first 6-7. Dak is in his second year, Tony was still holding a clipboard his second season. If Dez needs someone to "throw him open" because he is constantly blanketed by single coverage, then he isn't close to being an elite receiver

It amazes me how some of these Qbs/ WRs do it. They will show it at times that the ball is thrown so many times before the WR even breaks. The WR then turns and the bAll is right on them- timing. Some would say that's Romo friendly. Dak doesn't trust that enough yet. He wants to see that guy open before he throws it.