• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2017 Thread

dengel6

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
44 wins next year, ha. This is a terrible team and should be dissolved, immediately. Oh, Al has peddled what were good players for, cheaper minor league players. God Bless You Boys, you're going to need it.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
44 wins next year, ha. This is a terrible team and should be dissolved, immediately. Oh, Al has peddled what were good players for, cheaper minor league players. God Bless You Boys, you're going to need it.

The Minnesota Twins should (and have) given us hope ... they were supposed to lose 100 games. Our bullpen has to be better, Miggy will be better, 3rd base has improved ... I'm not saying we're winning next year, but I am not ready to throw in the towel before the first pitch. A new manager and coaching staff could have a positive impact. This year's team was undisciplined and unmotivated.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Minnesota Twins should (and have) given us hope ... they were supposed to lose 100 games. Our bullpen has to be better, Miggy will be better, 3rd base has improved ... I'm not saying we're winning next year, but I am not ready to throw in the towel before the first pitch. A new manager and coaching staff could have a positive impact. This year's team was undisciplined and unmotivated.

I know this bozo has me blocked but I still would like an answer to my question. How do you "motivate" millionaire ballplayers? I assumed they were professionals and self-motivated. They used some form of motivation to reach the top rung of their profession. So do they NOW need some underpaid manager/coach to continue to motivate them? If so...How is this done? I hear this "Motivation" thing all the time...but I have never heard it explained or how it is done.

Bottom line...talent wins ball games. I don't care who the manager/coaches are. Give ME the 1970 Cincy Reds, and I'll win a championship. The current Tiger lineup???...neither Tito Francona nor Joe Maddon would win 60 games with that group.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This 1st real rumor I am hearing for the next Tiger Manager is Phil Nevin. I have no take on him, he is a former Tiger (1995-1997) and had a decent career, but the real question is can he lead? Going to be an interesting off season, but that's all we have left for this year.

Tom Gage (Det. News baseball writer) was on a recent pregame stumping for Alex Cora, who is currently the bench coach for the Astros.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking more and more like 63 wins is out of reach. Maybe the final series against the Twins, if they have the WC spot clinched.

Well, the Twins indeed have clinched before the final series with the Tigers. But I got a feeling the Twins reserves can still beat our starters (which are a bunch of should-be reserves).

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Gage (Det. News baseball writer) was on a recent pregame stumping for Alex Cora, who is currently the bench coach for the Astros.

Personally, my feeling is the selection of a new manager will be played out in the usual, good old boy fashion. Who owes who a favor, who has an in with the boss...will play a bigger role than managerial talent or experience in picking a new mgr. Politics.

Saying that, my current humble view points me to Mike Redmond, Rockies bench coach. He's worked with Avila in Florida, was friendly with Cabrera, and managed a rebuilding team for two years. But what do I know? Maybe Avila thinks Redmond is a jerk, Redmond still owes Miggy a bunch of money that he borrowed, and he was actually a lousy manager. Gene Lamont might still have those compromising photos of Avila.....so....?????

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers lineup

1. Jose Iglesias, SS
2. Dixon Machado, 2B
3. Nicholas Castellanos, RF
4. James McCann, DH
5. John Hicks, 1B
6. Bryan Holaday, C
7. Andrew Romine, 3B
8. Alex Presley, LF
9. JaCoby Jones, CF

Bench: 3B Jeimer Candelario, 2B Ian Kinsler, 1B/OF Efren Navarro, OF Tyler Collins (intercostal), 1B Miguel Cabrera (back).

Starting pitcher: LHP Daniel Norris

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to see Norris finish the season strong.

He needs a confidence boost. Biggest thing he lacks imo.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to see Norris finish the season strong.

He needs a confidence boost. Biggest thing he lacks imo.

That, plus the ability to stay healthy. He admitted yesterday that he's been trying to pitch through a groin injury for the last several weeks.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
63!!!! (LOL)

Avoided 100 losses this year. Not sure this rag-tag group can do so next year. Barring a major influx of talent, I'm guessing we are looking at 53-109.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avoided 100 losses this year. Not sure this rag-tag group can do so next year. Barring a major influx of talent, I'm guessing we are looking at 53-109.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel for next year before spring training begins ... the Twins did that and story is yet to be completed.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not ready to throw in the towel for next year before spring training begins ... the Twins did that and story is yet to be completed.

I don't see a Sano, Buxton, Santana, Dozier, Rosario, or even a Berrios on the Tiger roster. What I see is a Hicks, JaCoby Jones, Rondon, Zimmermann, Romine, and a couple of washed up right side of the diamond infielders. Manager's fault!

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not counting arbitration salaries...Detroit has a $96mil salary level already (Miggy, Zimmermann, VMart. payoffs, etc). I don't see a major free agent signing this winter, so I suspect they will fill holes with lower level free agents, waiver signings, AAA players, and the occasional "no-name" trades. Influx of new names, I would suspect. In flux of (major) talent, doubtful.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers lineup

1. Ian Kinsler, 2B
2. Alex Presley, DH
3. Nicholas Castellanos, RF
4. Jeimer Candelario, 3B
5. Efren Navarro, 1B
6. James McCann, C
7. Andrew Romine, LF
8. JaCoby Jones, CF
9. Dixon Machado, SS

Bench: C Bryan Holaday, C/1B John Hicks, SS Jose Iglesias, OF Tyler Collins (intercostal).

Out: OF Mikie Mahtook (groin), 1B Miguel Cabrera (back).

Starting pitcher: LHP Matthew Boyd

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That, plus the ability to stay healthy. He admitted yesterday that he's been trying to pitch through a groin injury for the last several weeks.
When he talks he seems meek.

Maybe being healthy will help with that. He's dealt with a lot of injuries the last two seasons.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not counting arbitration salaries...Detroit has a $96mil salary level already (Miggy, Zimmermann, VMart. payoffs, etc). I don't see a major free agent signing this winter, so I suspect they will fill holes with lower level free agents, waiver signings, AAA players, and the occasional "no-name" trades. Influx of new names, I would suspect. In flux of (major) talent, doubtful.
I'd like to see them over pay a starter and two relievers, on two or preferably one year deals. There isn't any plug and play pitching ready for next season.

I kinda plan on seeing Sanchez being back after they agree on a dollar amount.

2018 is going to be ugly no matter what.