• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Destiny

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the concept is certainly one of the more original ones in recent history but I still think that the gameplay is going to get old really quickly if the stories for the missions don't change. At some point, you're just shooting waves of creatures for really no point at all. You don't know why you're doing it because the story is somewhat all over the place and you have no idea what weapons you're looking to get. You're just shooting them in hopes that something gets better or you get to go to something new.

I'm just shooting to level up. Why I am leveling up, I have no idea now taht I think of it.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the concept is certainly one of the more original ones in recent history but I still think that the gameplay is going to get old really quickly if the stories for the missions don't change. At some point, you're just shooting waves of creatures for really no point at all. You don't know why you're doing it because the story is somewhat all over the place and you have no idea what weapons you're looking to get. You're just shooting them in hopes that something gets better or you get to go to something new.
Yeah, the game will probably cap out at around 100 hours for me before going into PVP unless the expansions bring something spiffy. I'm fine with that.

But flying around on various planets using various different types of weapons against various different types of waves of enemies? Yeah, I dont need a why. Nobody asks games like Velocity 2X why. Its just fun.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the game will probably cap out at around 100 hours for me before going into PVP unless the expansions bring something spiffy. I'm fine with that.

But flying around on various planets using various different types of weapons against various different types of waves of enemies? Yeah, I dont need a why. Nobody asks games like Velocity 2X why. Its just fun.

You can arbitrarily shoot things on most, if not all, first person shooters. I just wish they gave us a little more purpose to it, especially because the environment they gave us to shoot them in is so cool.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can arbitrarily shoot things on most, if not all, first person shooters. I just wish they gave us a little more purpose to it, especially because the environment they gave us to shoot them in is so cool.
:scratch:

I honestly don't understand. I think I missed the boat somewhere with gaming. IGN's top 25 list for the PS3 and PS4 are both lists I wildly disagree with and I used to find these types of lists helpful. Destiny is the type of game I'd figure would get an 8.5 or a 9.0 and the reviews are coming in around 6.0 and 7.0. The critics have basically all 3 'new' triple AAA games on the next gen (Watchdogs, Titanfall and this)

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not understanding the review scores for this game. I agree with most of the flaws that are being pointed out, but I don't think that this game should be getting 6's and 7's. I've seen games with much bigger flaws and way less content get 9's across the board. It really doesn't matter, though. I enjoy the game.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:scratch:

I honestly don't understand. I think I missed the boat somewhere with gaming. IGN's top 25 list for the PS3 and PS4 are both lists I wildly disagree with and I used to find these types of lists helpful. Destiny is the type of game I'd figure would get an 8.5 or a 9.0 and the reviews are coming in around 6.0 and 7.0. The critics have basically all 3 'new' triple AAA games on the next gen (Watchdogs, Titanfall and this)

It's for the exact reasons I'm laying out. The missions are too repetitive, and there isn't enough purpose for what you're doing. They didn't make a great first person shooter and they didn't make a great RPG. Since they combined the two, they did OK but they still failed in a lot of important areas; namely purpose for shooting things and the whole concept of weapon/armor buying, selling and finding -- which is what makes RPGs fun. The game boils down to shooting things (for no purpose) and hoping they drop something you can use -- but you're not sure what that item is.

I think the best word to describe this game is "promising". It's really up to what they do to upgrade/update the game as it goes long. Even Bungy released a statement saying something along the lines of, "don't judge this game by the day 1 reviews".

Last edited by a moderator:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't make a great first person shooter and they didn't make a great RPG
I personally think they made an excellent shooter with a couple of mild RPG elements.

I actually find the encounters in the game to be less repetitive than most. I enjoy exploring. I enjoy the graphics. I enjoy the jet packs and the varied terrain. Each mission usually has a unique wrinkle added like having a Sword or having to destroy gate respawns or having to deal with a new enemy type.

Shadow of the Colossus was one of the most empty and repetitive games ever but is widely regarded as a classic. I dont understand the criticism unless the expectation is a crowded shooter like Battlefield

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The general consensus I've seen from the reviewers is the low scores are basically because there isn't much to do nor is there a lot of creativity. Keep in mind that some of it is probably some backlash because Bungie and Co hyped the hell out of this game so they were setting standards really high. But I could see how a 7 or an 8 could be fair. Because what they've done, by design, is throw out an unfinished game. What I mean is their plan from the start was to add new content to the "open world" every month or couple of months, etc. So over time, you'll keep having new and hopefully exciting challenges. So naturally what you get at launch is just a few standard sets.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest this game reminds me of Halo. Yes, obviously Bungie made it but there are a lot of things that keep reminding me of it from the way the aliens look, the orb that follows you, and the waves of enemies. I agree that the campaign is getting really repetitive. Overall, I like the game and think it's one of the better next gen games.

My biggest beef with the game so far is on multiplayer the people who have already ranked up to 20 absolutely clean up because their weapons are much better. Most of the time I'm getting dropped in one shot (close or long range) when I have to work to get multiple hits to get a kill. I realize in time my guy will level up and have a better inventory but it's a little frustrating right now to try and play the multiplayer. Also, what's up with having the wait for your grenade to recharge after you die?

I've played most of the missions solo but the few times I've been able to get into them with other players it has been really fun. My favorite mission so far is probably the one where you pick up the giant sword and go to town on the Princes.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the lore any good? Maybe I missed it but I didn't see any mention of the Destiny universe on this thread.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've not bought the game yet as I've been been working like a dog and next week too. I was just going to hold off till I have more time projected in a few weeks to dive in.

One question to those who hit it hard this week.

How is the strictly solo campaign? Is the storyline impressed you? How is the game play in campaign? Any things truely bugging you?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest beef with the game so far is on multiplayer the people who have already ranked up to 20 absolutely clean up because their weapons are much better.
Yeah, I haven't touched the PVP and probably won't until I get to at least level 20. I guess you could say thats the reason why you are getting better loot when you play. The incentive to keep going. Interesting design choice because people only mention the negatives but it should keep people playing.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Video games...boring!

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I haven't touched the PVP and probably won't until I get to at least level 20. I guess you could say thats the reason why you are getting better loot when you play. The incentive to keep going. Interesting design choice because people only mention the negatives but it should keep people playing.

Yea, the weird thing is what works well in the campaign isn't necessarily ideal in multiplayer as far as the guns go. Also, it seems like the more I play the less heavy gun ammo I find. The heavy guns take care of those pesky big enemies way faster than anything else. Since I don't usually have much ammo for the heavy gun I mostly just sneak up and get personal with my shotgun. There are some negatives but I've had a lot of fun playing the game so far.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've not bought the game yet as I've been been working like a dog and next week too. I was just going to hold off till I have more time projected in a few weeks to dive in.

One question to those who hit it hard this week.

How is the strictly solo campaign? Is the storyline impressed you? How is the game play in campaign? Any things truely bugging you?

I have still played almost strictly solo. I haven't teamed up or joined any fireteams except for on strike missions. I have yet to hear anybody communicate with me over a mic, although I thought voice chat was confirmed in game. I have a gaming headset for me favorite computer game anyways, so I wear that all the time anyways, and am yet to have anybody even in strikes respond to what I say to them. I don't know if it is working and they ignore me or mute me, 98 if I'd just isn't turned on.

From that standpoint the solo play is a ton of fun, to me at least. I would guess within another week I will probably lyrics be maxed out until new gear is introduced. Possibly within 2 weeks I'll have 3 classes maxed by making use of the vault. The storyline is kind of fun, if you can shut your brain down and not think about it. If you actually think about it though, the storyline is crap. It was more like they wrote the game actually and planet's they wanted to use, then wrote a story to try and pull things together. The one thing that truly bugs me is the navigation menu. You have to move an on screen curse with a thumbstick despite there only being 3-4 choices. And then you have to move the cursor again to confirm your selection. You should at least be again be to one button press confirm and launch it.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, the weird thing is what works well in the campaign isn't necessarily ideal in multiplayer as far as the guns go. Also, it seems like the more I play the less heavy gun ammo I find. The heavy guns take care of those pesky big enemies way faster than anything else. Since I don't usually have much ammo for the heavy gun I mostly just sneak up and get personal with my shotgun. There are some negatives but I've had a lot of fun playing the game so far.

If you're not using a hand cannon in campaign mode you're absolutely missing out. It does massive damage, seems to have the biggest head shot range, and actually has a pretty large clip size. The only downside I had was I was constantly running low on ammo and ran out a couple times. That never happened with other guns. 8 even snipe pretty decently with it. It works much better at range than a pulse rifle or a auto rifle without my favorite perk thingy (shots slow down and do more damage when you're aimed down sight). And it does more damage than and scout rifle. A couple armor pieces to increase hand cannon ammo and reload speed and you have an and more solute beast on your hands. It also pairs well with any secondary you prefer; better sniping with a true sniper rifle, even more knockdown power with a shotgun or fusion rifle. I have tried a machine gun a couple times and just don't get it. There is no questions asked, you get a rocket launcher. One shot kills in pvp, does huge chunks of bosses health, and saves a lot of hassle on those pain In the butt wizards and stuff.

For pvp though it seems to be all all out the submachine gun style auto rifle. They seem to have normalized damage from bullets or something, so just get the one that fires fastest I guess. I don't really know, I've only played maybe 10 games of pvp.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're not using a hand cannon in campaign mode you're absolutely missing out. It does massive damage, seems to have the biggest head shot range, and actually has a pretty large clip size. The only downside I had was I was constantly running low on ammo and ran out a couple times. That never happened with other guns. 8 even snipe pretty decently with it. It works much better at range than a pulse rifle or a auto rifle without my favorite perk thingy (shots slow down and do more damage when you're aimed down sight). And it does more damage than and scout rifle. A couple armor pieces to increase hand cannon ammo and reload speed and you have an and more solute beast on your hands. It also pairs well with any secondary you prefer; better sniping with a true sniper rifle, even more knockdown power with a shotgun or fusion rifle. I have tried a machine gun a couple times and just don't get it. There is no questions asked, you get a rocket launcher. One shot kills in pvp, does huge chunks of bosses health, and saves a lot of hassle on those pain In the butt wizards and stuff.

For pvp though it seems to be all all out the submachine gun style auto rifle. They seem to have normalized damage from bullets or something, so just get the one that fires fastest I guess. I don't really know, I've only played maybe 10 games of pvp.

I've found wizards to be easy. You just run up close, hit them them with the shotgun a couple times, and maybe give 'em a melee. Trying to play it safe and get them at a distance just takes a lot of ammo and time. With any enemy you're up against you should always weave as you run which will make 90% of their shots will miss entirely. I've actually found the heavy machine gun to be quite effective up until Mars. At that point having the rocket launcher works the best since they are large, slow, and they tend to bunch together more. For the most part my strategy in the campaign is take care of the smaller guys and work your way to the big guys/bosses which has been working out pretty well. I've found as the further I get into the campaign the more I need to conserve ammunition. Also, when you're up against the guys with the shields on Mars, shoot them in the leg once and they will lower their shield leaving their head vulnerable to multiple shots.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't play this game for the story. It sucks. They should have spent more time on the script.

Like 5-6 minutes maybe. It wouldn't have taken much more than that to do better than they did.