• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Derek Jeter Appreciation Thread

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I'm serious. If Jeter played for the Indians or Twins, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Yankees fans are funny when they don't get their way.

and making stupid hypothetical presumptions to downgrade a player is just as dumb as expecting a 100%...

were jeter's stats skewed because he was a yankee?? sure!!! but that is only counting stats(PA,AB, H, HR, R,RBIs)… chances are that his ratio stats would be similar... as that is the type of player he was...

and as he played for a long time, he would have probably still reached the HITS milestone, and would still be making the HOF...

Erie Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,827.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and making stupid hypothetical presumptions to downgrade a player is just as dumb as expecting a 100%...

were jeter's stats skewed because he was a yankee?? sure!!! but that is only counting stats(PA,AB, H, HR, R,RBIs)… chances are that his ratio stats would be similar... as that is the type of player he was...

and as he played for a long time, he would have probably still reached the HITS milestone, and would still be making the HOF...

Jeter SHOULD be in the Hall of Fame, I'm not saying he shouldn't. I am just glad he didn't get 100% of the vote.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeter SHOULD be in the Hall of Fame, I'm not saying he shouldn't. I am just glad he didn't get 100% of the vote.

no, I get that... He definitely should have gotten the 100%, same way every other clear HOFer should... But we all know, that nobody has ever gotten it(exception Mariano-for some odd reason)…

so yes he should get it... but since it doesn't happen you cant expect it...

but I was posting to your comment about if he played for a different team... You have to assume, no matter what team a player plays for the type of player they are will be the same...

so I have a hard time believing jeter would not have been a great player no matter what team he played for... and would have made it no matter where(except maybe the marlins)… he would have been a top of the lineup player, who accumulated near 200 hits every season... but unlike with the yankees where he got so many PA, he would have rarely past the 200 mark...

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the fuck did Derek Jeter not receive a unanimous entrance into the HoF?
Derek Jeter deserves the hall of fame without question. He rates about 123rd in most deserving of unanimous votes, give or take.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Derek Jeter deserves the hall of fame without question. He rates about 123rd in most deserving of unanimous votes, give or take.
Explain to me why he didn't deserve unanimous induction.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Explain to me why he didn't deserve unanimous induction.
I don't really care about it, but only one player has ever gotten it and that guy was the best ever at his position.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really care about it, but only one player has ever gotten it and that guy was the best ever at his position.

What are the reasons why Derek Jeter should not have received a unanimous decision? Because he's not the best shortstop to ever play the position? Which, by the way, is debatable.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the reasons why Derek Jeter should not have received a unanimous decision? Because he's not the best shortstop to ever play the position? Which, by the way, is debatable.
That's not debatable. Not even close.

RubinRock

Has a Well-Known Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honus Wagner and Cal Ripken easily are better. Not too mention guys who switched positions halfway thru career like A-Rod, Ernie Banks, Robin Yount

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honus Wagner and Cal Ripken easily are better. Not too mention guys who switched positions halfway thru career like A-Rod, Ernie Banks, Robin Yount

Cal ripken is not easily better... Jeter was much better offensively, Ripken Significantly better defensively...

Wagner, is the best SS of all time, but people don't like deadball players... so I can see people saying Jeter is better...

A-Rod would have been the best SS of all time, if he played SS his whole career... But he played nearly half his career at third...

I don't think Jeter is the best SS of all time.. But I will say he is definitely up as a candidate for that honour...

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cal ripken is not easily better... Jeter was much better offensively, Ripken Significantly better defensively...

Wagner, is the best SS of all time, but people don't like deadball players... so I can see people saying Jeter is better...

A-Rod would have been the best SS of all time, if he played SS his whole career... But he played nearly half his career at third...

I don't think Jeter is the best SS of all time.. But I will say he is definitely up as a candidate for that honour...
Not that this list is a perfect ranking by any means, but he is 12th on it.

Shortstop JAWS Leaders | Baseball-Reference.com

10th if you go straight up WAR. Some of these guys switched positions obviously.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that this list is a perfect ranking by any means, but he is 12th on it.

Shortstop JAWS Leaders | Baseball-Reference.com

10th if you go straight up WAR. Some of these guys switched positions obviously.

but he is also third in oWAR, just saying, that you can make an argument anyway you please... Saying Derek Jeter is the Best SS of all time is actually pretty defendable....

No, I am not saying that he is...

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but he is also third in oWAR, just saying, that you can make an argument anyway you please... Saying Derek Jeter is the Best SS of all time is actually pretty defendable....

No, I am not saying that he is...
He was so bad defensively that it takes him out of the conversation. You could argue best offensive SS if you want.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was so bad defensively that it takes him out of the conversation. You could argue best offensive SS if you want.

I don't think we will ever know how good or bad someone is defensively... We have defensive metrics, but they still kind of suck... Then we have gold gloves, but those are not trusted because they are popularity contests... or at least perceived to be...

This is one of my reasons I hate WAR... I think it includes defensive metrics too much...

But it is very popular to knock jeter for his defense... So much, that I think he has become under-rated for it...

Eye test lies too...

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we will ever know how good or bad someone is defensively... We have defensive metrics, but they still kind of suck... Then we have gold gloves, but those are not trusted because they are popularity contests... or at least perceived to be...

This is one of my reasons I hate WAR... I think it includes defensive metrics too much...

But it is very popular to knock jeter for his defense... So much, that I think he has become under-rated for it...

Eye test lies too...
He had no range so he got to far less balls than the average shortstop. That part is verifiable.