• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Derek Jeter Appreciation Thread

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had no range so he got to far less balls than the average shortstop. That part is verifiable.

Is it verifiable?? true, he never had great range... But I think he had decent range for most of his career, but then had no range when he got older... but he also compensated for lack of range with that jump throw...

In no way, would I argue he was an elite fielder, or even an above average fielder... But I do question, how much he HURT his team defensively... and as a yankee fan who watched his entire career, I never felt like he was a liability at defense(until he got old and his range was SHIT)... Sure, most balls a player misses, you can not imagine someone else getting to... and jump throws, and other plays where he compensated made easy plays look harder... but I would also claim, he made more hustle plays than any other SS...

I also question if his 5 gold gloves were entirely a popularity contest... or did he pass the eye test to some...

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it verifiable?? true, he never had great range... But I think he had decent range for most of his career, but then had no range when he got older... but he also compensated for lack of range with that jump throw...

In no way, would I argue he was an elite fielder, or even an above average fielder... But I do question, how much he HURT his team defensively... and as a yankee fan who watched his entire career, I never felt like he was a liability at defense(until he got old and his range was SHIT)... Sure, most balls a player misses, you can not imagine someone else getting to... and jump throws, and other plays where he compensated made easy plays look harder... but I would also claim, he made more hustle plays than any other SS...

I also question if his 5 gold gloves were entirely a popularity contest... or did he pass the eye test to some...
That jump throw didn't compensate for anything.

RubinRock

Has a Well-Known Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How many jump throws did he make in his career?

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not debatable. Not even close.

It totally is debatable. Ripken, Jeter and Banks are in a league of their own. It's down to those three. Each one of those three have the edge in important stats, just depends on which stats, as a fan, are more important to you.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honus Wagner and Cal Ripken easily are better. Not too mention guys who switched positions halfway thru career like A-Rod, Ernie Banks, Robin Yount

To me, it's Ripken, Banks and Jeter. Just depends on what stats you think are more important.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It totally is debatable. Ripken, Jeter and Banks are in a league of their own. It's down to those three. Each one of those three have the edge in important stats, just depends on which stats, as a fan, are more important to you.
Nope.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cal Ripken in the top 3 lolzzzz

SS Rankings
1. Wagner
2. A-Rod

3. Ernie

4-? Who cares.
Arky Vaughan is in there, Jeter is in there. The elite of the elite is pretty slim at SS. Ripken isn't anywhere close to GOAT for SS's. I wouldn't put him in my top 5.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SS Rankings
1. Wagner
2. A-Rod

3. Ernie

4-? Who cares.
Arky Vaughan is in there, Jeter is in there. The elite of the elite is pretty slim at SS. Ripken isn't anywhere close to GOAT for SS's. I wouldn't put him in my top 5.
Ripken had a better career than Jeter though.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SS Rankings
1. Wagner
2. A-Rod

3. Ernie

4-? Who cares.

I'd definitely add Wagner in there. But you're crazy if you don't have Jeter in your top 5, at least, but you have Arky Vaughan in there. Sorry.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SS Rankings
1. Wagner
2. A-Rod

3. Ernie

4-? Who cares.

Of course banks and a-rod are better. But doesn’t it hurt them in the best SS title they played almost half of their career somewhere else. Banks played MORE than half his career at first.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course banks and a-rod are better. But doesn’t it hurt them in the best SS title they played almost half of their career somewhere else. Banks played MORE than half his career at first.

The discussion is better at the SS position, not overall.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it's all about timing...the year after Griffey was inducted, they voted to start making all ballots public so it put pressure on the writers to vote for the slam dunk choices (which just happened to be Rivera's first year on the ballot).

Had Griffey retired one year later, the chances of him being unanimous are probably higher.

so has the name of the guy who did not vote for Jeter been made public? Just asking.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

boosh.gif

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paid like a power hitter.
Struck out with the frequency of a power hitter.
Hit for power about as often as Ozzie Smith.