• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Denver wanted Keenum

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So apparently this offseason/preseason, Denver had called about a possible trade for Keenum. Seems that we asked for either a defensive starter or a high draft pick, which was too much...The hell were we thinking? Could've traded him, started Mannion and had Goff as backup. Plus would've gotten back a pick. Or could've traded Keenum, kept Foles, and been in the same position as now but with an extra pick....Makes no sense...

Broncos tried to trade for Case Keenum this offseason, kept asking

Last edited:

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So apparently this offseason/preseason, Denver had called about a possible trade for Keenum. Seems that we asked for either a defensive starter or a high draft pick, which was too much...The hell were we thinking? Could've traded him, started Mannion and had Goff as backup. Plus would've gotten back a pick. Or could've traded Keenum, kept Foles, and been in the same position as now but with an extra pick....Makes no sense...

Yeah not wanting to give up Keenum really makes you think of the faith they have in Goff.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah not wanting to give up Keenum really makes you think of the faith they have in Goff.

The hell does it have to do with Goff? If ANYTHING it says more about their strange lack of confidence in Mannion, you know, the guy they took in the third round last year...

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The evidence to support a notion that Fisher has his "guys" and disregards obvious deals and better talent available to the Rams to improve the Rams on a continual basis is mounting by stories like these. Coupled with disaster drafts like Isaiah Pead and many others seems to make the notion almost fact.

As Jermaine and others have eluded to over time, the problem of the Rams being perennial losers just may start and end with the supreme drama queen himself for at least the last four years. Add to that the limp biscuit owner who thinks Fisher is the best thing since sliced pizza and what many of we fans believe is probably true. Only time will tell though.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The evidence to support a notion that Fisher has his "guys" and disregards obvious deals and better talent available to the Rams to improve the Rams on a continual basis is mounting by stories like these. Coupled with disaster drafts like Isaiah Pead and many others seems to make the notion almost fact.

As Jermaine and others have eluded to over time, the problem of the Rams being perennial losers just may start and end with the supreme drama queen himself for at least the last four years. Add to that the limp biscuit owner who thinks Fisher is the best thing since sliced pizza and what many of we fans believe is probably true. Only time will tell though.

I guess I'm still trying to figure out what makes certain guys so dear to Fisher. Is it the horrible penalties they get called for? The plays they don't make when they should? The thuggish attitude that gets us called for more penalties than maybe we should because of that attitude?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know either LTR but their is the weird dynamic with Fisher where he gets attached to certain people and then fogs over with any of the numerous options available to him in any give franchise HC activity when it comes to player personnel or even his approach to winning. Every once and a while Snisher hits a good player but it is far to anemic to be credible for all the right reasons one can see with any of the perennial contender organizations.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Foles was never going to be the guy for any extended period of time, they needed to cut ways, Mannion has never started an NFL game.

Neither were options...

Now had Denver been willing to make some sort of trade like this, it changes everything, but they weren't. They were probably offering a late round pick.

Sometimes the best trades are no trades & I think this was one of them.

I just wish they had been so prudent and not moved up to No. 1 this last off season.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foles was never going to be the guy for any extended period of time, they needed to cut ways, Mannion has never started an NFL game.

Neither were options...

Now had Denver been willing to make some sort of trade like this, it changes everything, but they weren't. They were probably offering a late round pick.

Sometimes the best trades are no trades & I think this was one of them.

I just wish they had been so prudent and not moved up to No. 1 this last off season.

Vita...We gave up a seventh round pick for the guy, a guy we had previously cut. Lets not sit here and pretend he's some savior. I doubt they were offering a late round pick. My guess is that they were offering a second or more likely a third round pick and the Rams said no way.

As for Foles...Keenum isn't the guy for an extended period either, so what exactly is the difference? Both are game manager QBs...

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Foles...Keenum isn't the guy for an extended period either, so what exactly is the difference?
Sure I'll agree neither are franchise QB's however they are not the same.

Let's not pretend that Nick didn't throw just seven touchdowns with six interceptions and five fumbles in his 9 games during his 4-5 start and that Keenum is the only Rams QB to have a winning record in like forever.

Also, can't forget them salaries either....

Nick agreed to a to a reduction in the guaranteed money the Rams owed him in 2016 in exchange for being released and Case only makes $3.6M. So you pay less for a guy who has performed better and get another who was scheduled to make a lot more to reduce his salary to get released.

So there's that.

BTW - Have you seen Case in the preseason? Sure I know it's the preseason but you can't discount those performances when you add it too his 3-1 record as a starter with four touchdowns and one interceptions.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the same, let's not pretend that Nick didn't throw just seven touchdowns with six interceptions and five fumbles in his 9 games during his 4-5 start and that Keenum is the only Rams QB to have a winning record in like forever.

Also, can't forget them salaries either....

Nick agreed to a to a reduction in the guaranteed money the Rams owed him in 2016 in exchange for being released and Case only makes $3.6M. So you pay less for a guy who has performed better and get another who was scheduled to make a lot more to reduce his salary to get released.

So there's that.

BTW - Have you seen Case in the preseason? Sure I know it's the preseason but you can't discount those performances when you add it too his 3-1 record as a starter with four touchdowns and one interceptions.

I guess we'll just have to see how Keenum starts...If we start out winning, no problems...If we start out losing, we'll likely end up looking like NFL morons, again, and I'm TIRED of us looking like morons already!!!

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we'll just have to see how Keenum starts...If we start out winning, no problems...If we start out losing,
Sure, and by 'start out' I'm guessing we are talking a good 3 or 5 game stretch, right?

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think that as long as Fisher is coach, we will never be a serious playoff contender. With this regime, it's becoming more and more evident that they are usually hit or miss with their acquisitions. As for Kroenke and Demoff, don't get me started on those assholes.

I wouldn't have had a problem getting a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick back for Keenum since we gave up a lot to get Goff. Or even if it was a starting DB, that would've been fine as well. Like you said, we could've started Mannion and maybe picked up some other guy off the waiver wire for a year if we did that and let Goff sit on the bench and learn the offense and then start him next year.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kroneke and Demoff remind me of the Queen Idiot and Jay Zygmunt. Just plain whack jobs that have weazeled themselves into positions of power over people and have no earthly business being there to begin with.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, and by 'start out' I'm guessing we are talking a good 3 or 5 game stretch, right?

Well of course, 3 to 5 sounds about right...Bottom line, I don't care how the Keenum/Manion/Goff situation works out right now as long as we have a winning record this season...That's ALL I'm asking for. Not winning the division, not even a playoff spot, just a winning record. Howver, if Fisher once again fails to deliver a winning record, especially after not giving up Keenum for a draftpick and sticking with lots of "his guys"... he's an outright failure. No two ways about it...

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kroneke and Demoff remind me of the Queen Idiot and Jay Zygmunt. Just plain whack jobs that have weazeled themselves into positions of power over people and have no earthly business being there to begin with.
I might be wrong on this but I think that there are two types of NFL owners: ones that just want to make money, have the prestige of owning an NFL team and don't care about how they do. And then there are the ones that want to make money but realize that you can make even more money by putting a winning product on the field year after year. I think Kroenke is in the former of those two categories.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well of course, 3 to 5 sounds about right...Bottom line, I don't care how the Keenum/Manion/Goff situation works out right now as long as we have a winning record this season...That's ALL I'm asking for. Not winning the division, not even a playoff spot, just a winning record. Howver, if Fisher once again fails to deliver a winning record, especially after not giving up Keenum for a draftpick and sticking with lots of "his guys"... he's an outright failure. No two ways about it...
Sure, no one wants any of this 7 and 9 bullshit, especially Fisher apparently.

Make no mistake, without quality QB play you're not going to win very many games in this league, and Snisher has not had one season with decent QB play, forget about quality QB play.

That is why I think it was wise to hang on to Case, he's shown he can be that game manager that Foles couldn't prove, and that Mannion, nor Goff are not quite ready to be the guy IMO for Week 1.

I'll stand by this even in hindsight, because right now, it was the right decision.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, no one wants any of this 7 and 9 bullshit, especially Fisher apparently.

Make no mistake, without quality QB play you're not going to win very many games in this league, and Snisher has not had one season with decent QB play, forget about quality QB play.

That is why I think it was wise to hang on to Case, he's shown he can be that game manager that Foles couldn't prove, and that Mannion, nor Goff are not quite ready to be the guy IMO for Week 1.

I'll stand by this even in hindsight, because right now, it was the right decision.

We won't REALLY know what the right decision is until about week 10 or 12, no?

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely a matter to be resolved in the future LTRF.

Agreed, but as you mentioned earlier, the complexion of our roster could/would be a bit different had we handled things "properly"

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be honest, the Broncos weren't going to offer anything of value for Keenum. They were interested until they learned the asking price. Rams tagged him with a 1st round tender, meaning it would cost a 1st rounder to sign him away. Right there that stops everyone from pursuing him unless the Rams accept considerably less. The dreams of an early pick or a quality player in return are really only that; dreams.

Denver wanted him for the same reasons the Rams didn't want to let him go; to be a reliable bridge to their rookie QB. You don't give up a day 1 or 2 pick for a stop-gap (unless you're the Vikings I guess).