• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Denver Bronco - Strongest Position Group

Which Denver Bronco Position Group is the strongest right now

• Total voters

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You get three votes to rank the Broncos strongest position Groups

I can make the case that the best position group on the Broncos is currently the Oline - followed by the RBs and the Edge rushers (very solid 4-man rotation on edge).

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that RB, Edge and O-Line are their 3 strongest positions. If I had to pick a strongest I’ll say edge rush, they are solid and fairly deep there.
The Broncos are interesting because if they had a good QB they could contend for the a playoff spot IMO - their D is pretty good, their O-Line is solid, their RB unit is deep and I think their receivers will be okay although TE is a big weakness. But they don’t have a QB, which has been the story for the Broncos ever since Peyton retired after Super Bowl 50. I’m not sure if Nix is ready to start yet but the Broncos sure aren’t going anywhere with Wilson or Stidham as their QB, so I expect Nix to be the starter before long.

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You get three votes to rank the Broncos strongest position Groups

I can make the case that the best position group on the Broncos is currently the Oline - followed by the RBs and the Edge rushers (very solid 4-man rotation on edge).
Other than OL I don't think there is a position group I can say for sure is strong and even on the OL there is a lot to be desired (RT pass protection is pathetic and center is completely unknow for instance). RB has huge question marks with Williams coming off a poor season after injury, Prejean as the most veteran but not a huge producer, McLaughlin had spark but isn't a everydown back and the rest are hopefully good rookies. That doesn't qualify as a good group IMO and that group is routinely ranked in the bottom 10 if not 5 of RB groups in the NFL. Edge I like more because we are deep, but there is nobody that pops or demands double teams which is what you really need to be successful in that group. At least with WR Sutton, Patrick and Reynolds have proven they can produce with some young talent hopefully up and coming, so I would probably put that group 2nd with Edge 3rd.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reality is, we just won't know until the season kicks off. It's tough to elevate any one group above the rest, as there are question marks everywhere. There is also a chance that some of these groups are going to turn out to be better than good. Sean Peyton sure seems relaxed about this year. What does he know that we don't?

The first six games of the season will be interesting. Our opponents will have a hard time game planning for the Broncos, as there may be multiple new starters, including the QB. I think we'll finally see Sean Peyton's offense, good or bad.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need more time to think about this. I don't see any way above the rest. I think where my mind plays tricks on me is depth vs how good it is a the top.

RB and EDGE have good depth, IMO but it isn't like we have one single elite player at either.

So the strongest you ask? Gimme a bit.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ll probably change mine too. I was not impressed with our 2 Oline FA signings last year. Question mark at C too? I’m going to pause for the time being on judging that group until I see them in action. Gut is a beast and Bolles is solid. It is plausible to me that Russ made the group look worse but I am not certain. CB, RB and Edge are solid. D line could surprise too. WR depends on too many things right now to judge

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need more time to think about this. I don't see any way above the rest. I think where my mind plays tricks on me is depth vs how good it is a the top.

RB and EDGE have good depth, IMO but it isn't like we have one single elite player at either.

So the strongest you ask? Gimme a bit.
I think the only real “elite” player the Broncos have right now is Surtain - he’s an excellent corner. Other than that they don’t have any superstars - they have some good players at most positions but no one I would consider “elite” that I can think of.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the only real “elite” player the Broncos have right now is Surtain - he’s an excellent corner. Other than that they don’t have any superstars - they have some good players at most positions but no one I would consider “elite” that I can think of.
True. Although I would say that Quinn Meinerz is pretty close to reaching elite level

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than OL I don't think there is a position group I can say for sure is strong and even on the OL there is a lot to be desired (RT pass protection is pathetic and center is completely unknow for instance). RB has huge question marks with Williams coming off a poor season after injury, Prejean as the most veteran but not a huge producer, McLaughlin had spark but isn't a everydown back and the rest are hopefully good rookies. That doesn't qualify as a good group IMO and that group is routinely ranked in the bottom 10 if not 5 of RB groups in the NFL. Edge I like more because we are deep, but there is nobody that pops or demands double teams which is what you really need to be successful in that group. At least with WR Sutton, Patrick and Reynolds have proven they can produce with some young talent hopefully up and coming, so I would probably put that group 2nd with Edge 3rd.
Great analysis - and I like your thoughts on the subject.

But, the question is really just - what are the Broncos three player rooms with the most depth?

I'll put you down as - "too early to call." ;)

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The view from Kazakhstan asks, where is the none of the above option?

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The view from Kazakhstan asks, where is the none of the above option?
You don't need a none of the above - because - it doesn't matter at what state the roster is in - any given time - you can review the players and have an opinion on where the most depth can be found.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever the contrarian, I think RB, Edge, and WR are top 3. Sutton and Patrick, Mims, then you have starter quality subs in Virgil and Johnson, followed by our new qb's favorite wr rookie Franklin. On top of that the journeymen who always find a spot like Reynolds, Bandy, etc.

To me our Oline is too thin at spots to compete with that depth.

And RB has 4 quality starters, thats probably tops on the team.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. That is what makes this a bit hard. Nothing sticks out... Nothing looks terrible either. Other then QB obviously being unproven and nobody is going to claim them as our strong point.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever the contrarian, I think RB, Edge, and WR are top 3. Sutton and Patrick, Mims, then you have starter quality subs in Virgil and Johnson, followed by our new qb's favorite wr rookie Franklin. On top of that the journeymen who always find a spot like Reynolds, Bandy, etc.

I am probably going to go the same.

I think OL actually has better depth then it has in a VERY long time. However, we have to go with an unproven center and most of the depth are younger players so I feel you. I like our depth here it just needs to blossom now.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

By my count - the top eight Olineman can play two positions - either Center/Guard or Guard/Tackle. That is versatility by design and it contributes positively to depth. For the first time in years - the Broncos have 4 swing tackles - Baily, Sherman, the kid from Illinois and the kid from Wyo. Three of the 4 center candidates also play Guard. It is a fair point - that some of this depth does not have a lot of playing experience. On the other hand - everyone - except the OT from Wyo - has already had a year in the program.

Under Wilson - the Oline would have a blocking assignment assuming a short pass - quickly delivered near the LOS - which is not a pass block and Wilson would very often spin out and attempt to make a play downfield - the Oline was left hung out to dry when that happened because they were not set up for pass protect. Nix or someone else will solve that problem - making the Oline look much better.

Last edited:
Reactions: LGM

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By my count - the top eight Olineman can play two positions - either Center/Guard or Guard/Tackle. That is versatility by design and it contributes positively to depth. For the first time in years - the Broncos have 4 swing tackles - Baily, Sherman, the kid from Illinois and the kid from Wyo. Three of the 4 center candidates also play Guard. It is a fair point - that some of this depth does not have a lot of playing experience. On the other hand - everyone - except the OT from Wyo - has already had a year in the program.

Under Wilson - the Oline would have a blocking assignment assuming a short pass - quickly delivered near the LOS - which is not a pass block and Wilson would very often spin out and attempt to make a play downfield - the Oline was left hung out to dry when that happened because they were not set up for pass protect. Nix or someone else will solve that problem - making the Oline look much better.
Solid argument really. Its probably more of a "proven" issue for me that talent on paper, which is probably half our oline right now. If you ask me next year my answer may changed based solely on how much better Nix handles the offense over Wilson.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Dline might be underrated at the moment.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm excited to see what that edge/DE from the Jets can do. He might be the most underrated draft day deal we made so far. Or at least, not talked about as much as other rookies.
Same with the guy from the USFL - Andre Townsend - who I think can play situationally on the Edge or at DE.