• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Deion's enshrinement.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deion's speech

A quick list of old 49ers front office folks got a shout-out, along with Jerry and Steve. Oh well, I think his 'confession' about his PrimeTime persona was the most interesting, something genuine. Calling the 1994 49ers the best secondary ever assembled. Maybe the most flashy, with Merton's chicken dance and Deion's high stepping.

I wonder how much that cost Under Armour to put that little pin on his collar, and to get that acknowledgement in the speech. Now, I don't think the HOF is some sacred ground, but I think it's kinda cheap to do that. Sorta turns it into a joke.

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
One of the best speeches I have heard from an inductee, if not the best. The guy didn't have to write it down, he went in front of that podium and let it out.

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lost track of the number of times he said "the game, man ... the game" :)

I thought Shannon Sharpe's speech was the most genuine. You could almost feel the pain and hardship he had to go through to get to where he is.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
One of the best speeches I have heard from an inductee, if not the best. The guy didn't have to write it down, he went in front of that podium and let it out.

I did like how he anointed the '94 49er secondary as the best ever. Did did you hear Faulks enshrinement speech?

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I lost track of the number of times he said "the game, man ... the game" :)

I thought Shannon Sharpe's speech was the most genuine. You could almost feel the pain and hardship he had to go through to get to where he is.

I agree with you about Sharpe's speech. I thought his line about being the second best in his family was quite the tribute to his brother. All brothers should be as close. Great moment!

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I did like how he anointed the '94 49er secondary as the best ever. Did did you hear Faulks enshrinement speech?

Yes. They all were good, even Mr. Sabol's

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree with you about Sharpe's speech. I thought his line about being the second best in his family was quite the tribute to his brother. All brothers should be as close. Great moment!

I like Sharpe's speech a whole lot. The thing is, NFLNW had a show on Shannon days/weeks leading up to the actual ceremony. In that show he and his brother basically revealed everything. Also on another time (the night before his speech) he sat down with Steve Mariucci, Rich Eisen, and Michael Irvin and he said that line, "I could honestly say that I'm the only person in Canton that is the 2nd best football player in my family". I was like wow...he should have saved that for his speech. Anyway, when Saturday night came, he basically said/recited everything that was said during that initial show and interview with Mariucci, Irvin and company. Therefore, I didn't get that suspense / that shock because everything he said in that speech was not knew to me. Had I not seen or previously heard about his granny/childhoood/hunger to excel with the broncos/etc. I would have been blown away.

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had I not seen or previously heard about his granny/childhoood/hunger to excel with the broncos/etc. I would have been blown away.

Completely agree with you on that Bingo!! I saw that interview that he had with Eisen, Mariucci and Irvin and I too was surprised at the amount he shared there. I wonder if he did that just to get some of the emotions/nerves out so that he didn’t completely break down on the podium? Regardless, I agree that they should not have aired that a day before his actual speech. It did take some of the oomph out of it for me, but still struck quite a chord with me.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like Sharpe's speech a whole lot. The thing is, NFLNW had a show on Shannon days/weeks leading up to the actual ceremony. In that show he and his brother basically revealed everything. Also on another time (the night before his speech) he sat down with Steve Mariucci, Rich Eisen, and Michael Irvin and he said that line, "I could honestly say that I'm the only person in Canton that is the 2nd best football player in my family". I was like wow...he should have saved that for his speech. Anyway, when Saturday night came, he basically said/recited everything that was said during that initial show and interview with Mariucci, Irvin and company. Therefore, I didn't get that suspense / that shock because everything he said in that speech was not knew to me. Had I not seen or previously heard about his granny/childhoood/hunger to excel with the broncos/etc. I would have been blown away.

Makes sense. I did see the interview your talking about with Eisen and crew, but after his HOF speech. What still amazes me about Sharpe is where he was taken in the draft.

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing that surprised me about Shannon was how close he was from getting cut. Amazing story to go from being one player away from getting cut to going into the HOF!

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Another thing that surprised me about Shannon was how close he was from getting cut. Amazing story to go from being one player away from getting cut to going into the HOF!

...And just a few laters the same thing happened to Terrell Davis.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, that was a really good speech by Deion. I'd say his personality and intelligence made it easier for him, plus he has a lot of practice for that kind of public speaking. Jerry Rice's speech was so robotic and monotone in comparison, but hey, not everyone can be Prime Time.

I missed Shannon's speech. Unfortunately, I forgot about the whole thing, I just picked up on highlights from NFL.com, which is really a crappy way to go since they are weird about it and just give highlights.

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might check out NFL Network. I know at least yesterday they were showing re-runs of it all day and I would imagine they will play it some more before the pre-season games start.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might check out NFL Network. I know at least yesterday they were showing re-runs of it all day and I would imagine they will play it some more before the pre-season games start.

I don't have that with Time Warner cable. Guess that also answers my complaint about them not putting it up on NFL.com. They probably take the approach that if I don't have NFL Network, I can go fuck myself. ha ha.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree, that was a really good speech by Deion. I'd say his personality and intelligence made it easier for him, plus he has a lot of practice for that kind of public speaking. Jerry Rice's speech was so robotic and monotone in comparison, but hey, not everyone can be Prime Time.

I missed Shannon's speech. Unfortunately, I forgot about the whole thing, I just picked up on highlights from NFL.com, which is really a crappy way to go since they are weird about it and just give highlights.

Three, here are links to both Sterling's introduction & Shannon's induction speech

Sterling Sharpe Introduces Shannon Sharpe

Shannon Sharpe Induction Speech

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have that with Time Warner cable. Guess that also answers my complaint about them not putting it up on NFL.com. They probably take the approach that if I don't have NFL Network, I can go fuck myself. ha ha.

Oh, I'm sorry. I'm sure it will end up on YouTube or some other internet site soon. MW - I tried the link but the his speech link didn't work. You think they have taken the video down?

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Jerry Rices speech was a let down. I think he was just too nervous so he read the whole thing, and it did sound robotic. But it was still better than Michael Irvins. That one sounded so fake to me. It seemed like he just wanted to create moments instead of let them happen. He shouldn't have been there in the first place, but thats a whole other discussion.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best secondary ever assembled? Hmmm, that's debatable because I'm sure the Steelers and Raiders teams of the 70's and the Niners of the early 80's (Hicks, Williamson, Lott, Wright) have something to say about that.

With that said, I still need to watch Deion's speech. I agree, Rice's speech was a major let down and paled in comparison to Emmitt's. I still have to go with Ronnie Lott and Marcus Allen as having the best speeches I've ever listened to in the HOF.