• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defending the North Endzone in OT

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I havent' seen this mentioned, and thought it merited its own thread.

Something I noticed during OT in the game, and which concerned me immediately, was the endzone the Niners chose to defend. They chose to defend the north endzone. I don't know if it was clear from watching on TV, but at the game I was acutely aware of the fact that 31 of the 34 regulation-time points had been scored in the north endzone. Only Akers' game-tying FG was scored in the south, and that came on a drive that only produced eight passing yards. The wind all night was coming from the south.

In drives toward the north endzone, the Niners had drives of 16, 73 (TD), -4 (fumbled reverse), 19, 54 (TD), 8, and 33 (first two plays and an unnecessary roughness penalty, before 4th quarter field change) yards. Smith was something like 6 of 13 for 136 yards and two TDs going to the north. Discounting the last play in regulation, Smith was something like 4 of 11 for 12 yards going south as we put together drives of 30, 4, 4 (second half of drive starting in third quarter), 38 (FG), 3, 0, and 3 prior to the desperation final play that netted 39.

Given the way this game ended, it doesn't seem that the decision really mattered. But it was a real head-scratcher for me at the time. Both teams were much more effective attacking the north endzone, and that's the one we chose to defend.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty observant. That though never even crossed my mind until your post. Not sure if it had any outcome either way, but it's interesting to think about either way.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd point to direction of the wind. Remember warm ups when both kickers, facing South, were practicing kicks from mid field, versus when they were facing North and lining up at the 25-30?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd point to direction of the wind. Remember warm ups when both kickers, facing South, were practicing kicks from mid field, versus when they were facing North and lining up at the 25-30?

I was in the north endzone (probably why I noticed this), so I didn't really notice guys kicking south in warmups. Akers was hitting from the 40 and 35 going toward the north. Didn't notice how he was looking going south. That could be right, though. I asked Sando in his chat and here's what he said:

OK, since we discussed this a few minutes ago, I reached out to someone who was on the sideline during the game. His thought at the time was that wind was the consideration. The direction the 49ers chose meant the wind was favorable should they get into a situation where it came down to a David Akers field-goal attempt.

I felt like the wind was south-to-north all game, but maybe on the field it was doing something else, given Candlestick's swirliness. Don't think that's a word....

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was in the north endzone (probably why I noticed this), so I didn't really notice guys kicking south in warmups. Akers was hitting from the 40 and 35 going toward the north. Didn't notice how he was looking going south. That could be right, though. I asked Sando in his chat and here's what he said:

OK, since we discussed this a few minutes ago, I reached out to someone who was on the sideline during the game. His thought at the time was that wind was the consideration. The direction the 49ers chose meant the wind was favorable should they get into a situation where it came down to a David Akers field-goal attempt.

I felt like the wind was south-to-north all game, but maybe on the field it was doing something else, given Candlestick's swirliness. Don't think that's a word....

I was sitting on the 45, visitors side, and the wind was clearly blowing right to left (toward the south end zone). Don't you recall Ackers kickoffs sailing out of the end zone?

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The thing you'll notice about the Stick is that there are different wind currents, caused by the wind hitting the stadium, which gives the illusion of "swirling winds" you hear a lot about.

What you tend to see is the wind going one direction lower and nearer to the field, and going the opposite direction as you get higher near the top of the stadium.....you can actually watch the flags on the goalposts going one way, and the ones at the top of the stadium going the other.

This is why flyballs were always a nightmare there - once it reaches a certain height it starts drifting the other way - and why you see a lot of line drived kicks from the Niners when they have the low wind in their favor, and high wind against them.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was sitting on the 45, visitors side, and the wind was clearly blowing right to left (toward the south end zone). Don't you recall Ackers kickoffs sailing out of the end zone?

Now that you mention it, I do recall that about the kickoffs. I was toward the top of the stadium (second-to-last row, whcih actually worked out as we were among like four rows that didn't get poured on), and the wind in general was definitely going south-to-north. But we were getting hte occasional gust the other way. Seems like Space might have the right of it here: somehow the design of the park alters the air patterns at field level.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wind, when prevalent, is always the primary reason for choosing which side of the field to defend; and kickers are essentially the one's who make that decision for the HC who then communicates that information to the captains.

In this game, when faced with the decision, both teams chose to defend the North goal...which means the favorable wind conditions were toward the South.

(Edit: field condition is another priority consideration - if one side of the field has better footing for kicking FG's - However, from what I could see the field was in excellent condition on both sides)

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'll buy the wind argument, it's the obvious answer, but in that case I can't figure why both teams would have struggled playing with the wind.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'll buy the wind argument, it's the obvious answer, but in that case I can't figure why both teams would have struggled playing with the wind.

No need to purchase the wind argument it's just free knowledge comin' from someone who has been around and inside this game for many, many years. But, if it was the obvious answer then why...nevermind. ;)

As to your question about the offenses the answer there is, because what is favorable for a kicker may not be favorable for a QB...

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No need to purchase the wind argument it's just free knowledge comin' from someone who has been around and inside this game for many, many years. But, if it was the obvious answer then why...nevermind. ;)

As to your question about the offenses the answer there is, because what is favorable for a kicker may not be favorable for a QB...

I raised it initially because I was sitting at the very top of the stadium, and the wind above the stadium was clearly moving toward the north. It has since been brought to my attention that the wind at field level was moving primarily in the opposite direction.

I guess my question is more why weren't we favoring the offense over the kicker, when there seemed to be a clear offensive advantage going the other way? In order to kick the game-winning FG, you've got to get into position to do it.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I raised it initially because I was sitting at the very top of the stadium, and the wind above the stadium was clearly moving toward the north. It has since been brought to my attention that the wind at field level was moving primarily in the opposite direction.

I guess my question is more why weren't we favoring the offense over the kicker, when there seemed to be a clear offensive advantage going the other way? In order to kick the game-winning FG, you've got to get into position to do it.

The Stick is a wicked place when it comes to wind. Nedney, when we signed Akers, was kind enough to give David a tutorial on how to handle the wind conditions at Candlestick.

Kicks are much more affected due to their height and lack of velocity. If the wind is severe enough an OC will have to make decisions based on the wind. Punters may have to shorten the ball drop and try to kick at lower trajectories, etc, etc,

Wind conditions at field level can be quite different than those at just 15-20 feet up from the field. Passes are thrown much lower than kicks, with much more velocity, with a tight spiral and for much shorter distances. Those factors make passing in the wind more controllable and predictable. Plus, it really favors a running game for obvious reasons.

So, getting into FG range is not nearly as difficult as kicking a FG once you are in range.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pretty observant. That though never even crossed my mind until your post. Not sure if it had any outcome either way, but it's interesting to think about either way.

I remember the announcers mentioning it before the Niners tied up the game that all the points had been scored in the other end zone but I thiought that was just a fluke.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Irrelevant unless you were trying to impress us with where your seats were again. Its only about the 8th time you mentioned that you were in row 7 at the 45. I think we got it.