• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dbacks send Segura to M's for Walker & Marte

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Immediate thoughts.....

1) Sold high on Segura

2) Landed a decent young SP under control for 4 years with some upside

3) Worried about Walker's HR problem in Chase

4) Don't know much about Marte, checked his minor league #'s and he hit over .300 in 2014 and 2015 and stole 20+ bases both years as well so there's some talent there, bad numbers last year in the bigs though.

I'm torn on it... it's hard to find young starters that are under control but at the same time Segura had a MONSTER year for us so idk... our rotation could look a lot better if some guys bounce back.

I think it's a good deal for both sides on paper... we'll see how it plays out.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greinke
Walker
Ray
Bradley
Miller

Moving Corbin & Rubby to the pen? Shipley and Koch still there, so there's depth and talent. Could move a starter now? Hoping Tomas gets shipped to an AL team for a reliever.

pistlpete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you really have to hand it to Dipoto; the guy has guts. He also has an eye on the short window to succeed, given the ages of Cano' and Cruz. This was a trade to win NOW. Great move! I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see all three of Segura, Haniger, and Curtis opening the season on the 25 man roster.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, certainly a boost to the offense for the M's. And a presence at the top of the order.

Of course the pen was a real issue last season so now we will see what they do for the pitching staff going forward. No chance they are done yet.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not shocked to see Walker gone, but surprised.

DBacks fans:

- School us on Segura. Was last year a peak and should we expect regression? Just how bad is he defensively? Was his bat a product of the AZ home field?

- Any info on the other 2 guys?

You're getting

- Walker: HUGE talent and upside if he can just fine tune some command and grow up a little on field (not a head case or anything, he just doesn't strike me as being in a "veteran" mindset if that makes sense.)

- Marte: Flashes of a competent slash hitter and a potential to be a great defender if he can cut down on stupid errors.

I'm sorry to see Walker go only because our SP rotation is not deep at all right now. We had better hit on these guys if we're giving up our #2 or 3 SP right now.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not shocked to see Walker gone, but surprised.

DBacks fans:

- School us on Segura. Was last year a peak and should we expect regression? Just how bad is he defensively? Was his bat a product of the AZ home field?

- Any info on the other 2 guys?

You're getting

- Walker: HUGE talent and upside if he can just fine tune some command and grow up a little on field (not a head case or anything, he just doesn't strike me as being in a "veteran" mindset if that makes sense.)

- Marte: Flashes of a competent slash hitter and a potential to be a great defender if he can cut down on stupid errors.

I'm sorry to see Walker go only because our SP rotation is not deep at all right now. We had better hit on these guys if we're giving up our #2 or 3 SP right now.

Good info, Podunk. I've liked Walker for quite some time now, back when he was a top prospect a couple years back. Hope he can start to put it together but him pitching in Chase scares me a bit with his HR rate. Think we sold high on Segura and kinda bought low on Walker.

Here's what you're getting:

- Segura: After back to back disappointing years in Milwaukee and the death of his child he really needed a fresh start and going to a hitters park like Chase did help him quite a bit, but his swing looked really good last year. I do think his average will drop more toward the .275-285 range which is around his career mark of .280, and the power will take a dip from 20 without a doubt... a lot of the fence scrapers he hit in Chase will be doubles in most parks. The speed is there, his defense wasn't bad overall. He makes some amazing plays but then sometimes screws up on routine plays at times. He played mainly at 2nd last year for us so I didn't get to see him play a ton of short which is what he will play for you with Cano in the fold so I can't really give you a great answer on that.

Overall I think his #'s will all trend down, but not by a ton. He had a great year that I don't think will be replicated.... I could see ~.280 AVG, 10-15 HR, 25-30 SB, 100+ R, with a drop in his OBP (guy's career OBP is baaad) but I think it's a move that makes sense for Seattle. Plug him in front of Seager, Cruz and Cano and he will generate tons of runs.

-Haniger: Put up good numbers in the minors but a lot of that had to do with the inflated #'s put up in AAA Reno, I think he could be a solid 4th OF with some spot starts now and then, but nothing more. Good arm defensively, doesn't cover a ton of ground but not a complete liability either. Will be 26 by the start of the 2017 season so a bit old for a prospect.

-Curtis: Has some upside, could be a decent reliever in a year or two. Put up great numbers in the minors but got shelled in his brief MLB stint. Relievers are hard to guess on when they're this young.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a sell high move for the D-Backs. Very easily could get jack shit between Marte and Walker however. I think it's a pretty good move for the D-Backs. As for the M's it fills an immediate hole. If his performance in AZ doesn't represent some kind of improvement, it's not gonna look that great.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DBacks needed SP and got a controllable SP who has potential to be really good but hasn't put it together.
M's needed a top of the lineup hitter and got a SS who fills that spot with some pop and speed.
Hard to tell who got the better end of this until they've played with their new teams, but I'd probably give the edge to Arizona right now.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious to hear @Davis_Mike, @Omar 382, @StanMarsh51, @Villain, @The Derski, @navamind, etc. take on this trade.
Thanks for the shutout AS. I like the move more so from the D-Backs perspective than the Mariners perspective, though I think it's good for both (and it's important to remember that we're talking about two totally different teams with different agendas).

Hazen turned a 27-year-old and a 26-year-old into a 24-year-old and a 23-year-old. Walker is an interesting pitcher who I've always been a pretty big fan of. This last year was not his best by any mean (4.99 FIP), and moving to Chase Field doesn't help, but he is still a guy who put up a 102 FIP-/94 xFIP- two years ago.

Segura, I would sell high on. .353 BABIP last year vs. a career .314 BABIP (including his 2016 season).

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a sell high move for the D-Backs. Very easily could get jack shit between Marte and Walker however. I think it's a pretty good move for the D-Backs. As for the M's it fills an immediate hole. If his performance in AZ doesn't represent some kind of improvement, it's not gonna look that great.
I like the gamble by Arizona.

Segura may have already had his career year and Walker does have top of the rotation talent. If Ray can add innings this season, not a ton of pressure on Walker.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the gamble by Arizona.

Segura may have already had his career year and Walker does have top of the rotation talent. If Ray can add innings this season, not a ton of pressure on Walker.
What are you doing here now? Do you know what today is? You should be eating sweet potato pie and watching Planes, Trains, and Automobiles with your family right now.

This bullshit I tell you! Bullshit!

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a good trade for the D-Backs. It'll be tough to replace Segura's 2016 production, but I'm so sure Segura is able to replicate those kinda of numbers as Omar and others have posted. D-Backs do have some question marks in the rotation and Walker presents considerable upside. Not sure what to make of Marte, but I wouldn't expect him to be an above average offensive SS. They got two younger players that are under control longer than Segura.

Mariners did get an intriguing OF prospect in Haniger.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you doing here now? Do you know what today is? You should be eating sweet potato pie and watching Planes, Trains, and Automobiles with your family right now.

This bullshit I tell you! Bullshit!
Lol.

In transit from one meal to the next. Riding high from that Prater field goal. Waiting for the Tigers to trade Erybody worth a damn for minor league relievers.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Segura's babip is astronomical and his ISO numbers are iffy translating from the thin air of Arizona and going to Seattle of all places. Big gamble on Seattle double downing on their team being a contender.

Last edited:

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol.

In transit from one meal to the next. Riding high from that Prater field goal. Waiting for the Tigers to trade Erybody worth a damn for minor league relievers.
Lucky you. I'm sitting by myself watching Cowboys and Skins. Black, gay guys from South Philly don't have friends or family

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Segura's babip is astronomical and his ISO numbers are iffy translating from the thin air of Arizona and going to Seattle of all places. Big gamble on Seattle double downing on their team beign a contender.

His Steamer projection for 2017 isn't great. .283/.325/.413, 91 wRC+.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His Steamer projection for 2017 isn't great. .283/.325/.413, 91 wRC+.
Yep, the big question is if within that performance is a real improvement that is useful. Seattle probably thinks so for them to pull the trigger on this trade. Projections usually don't adjust all that quickly to big changes in performance from what I have seen ala Steamer, ZIPS, etc.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even prior to the trade, the Mariners SP depth left a lot to be desired. Felix just hasn't looked very good since the 2015 ASB and I get the feeling his best days are behind him. I still think he can be a very good pitcher, but I think his days of being a CYA contender are over.