• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Day 2 Picks: Reed, Prosise, Vannett, Odhiambo

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOW,

What a day 2 draft! Absolutely amazing. Loved almost all of our picks and Seattle found great value in 3 of the 4. There was absolutely no reaching and all should be day 1 impact players.

Jarran Reed, DT - Alabama:
10211231.jpe

Seattle did use a 4th to trade up so I was curious who we were going to take. Seeing Reed go here brought joy to my heart. Some teams had a 1st round grade on Reed. He likely dropped given so much depth at DL/LBer this year. Reed isn't an amazing pass rusher but he's a force against the run and I see him very much being a more athletic version of Red Bryant but with pass rush upside if he can get coached up a bit. I very much see Reed as a replacement for Mebane and with Reed/Rubin in the trenches, Gurley and other rushers will stand zero chance.

Grade: A- (would've been an A+ if we could've taken him with our original 2nd).

CJ Prosise, RB - Notre Dame:
11277687.jpe

I'm a huge fan of this pick, partly because a few of my friends are from Notre Dame so I got stuck watching a lot of the fighting Irish. Seattle needed to find another runningback in this draft and Prosise is a downhill runner that can go for home runs once he reaches the second level. He did this often at Notre Dame. One thing I liked about him was his ability to receive out of the backfield as he was a wide receiver to begin with. He may very well be a Robert Turbin type player. He didn't block much at Notre Dame but I'm sure the team will work with him on that. Fumble concerns are definitely something we need to be aware of. I'm not entirely sold on Prosise given his limited carries (at least that helps for durability though) and that he had a VERY good line at Notre Dame with Stanley and Martin, but he was definitely an exciting player to watch and looks highly promising. Considering some had a 2nd round grade on Prosise and he offers explosiveness out of the backfield and as a receiving threat, have to give a high grade on this.

Grade: A

Nick Vannett, TE - Ohio State:
11253087.jpe

I had no clue who Nick Vannett was honestly so I kind of stared at the screen with this, "Okay..." blank expression. That said, it appears Nick could've been secured in the later rounds. He's sure handed and his strength is in run blocking, so that's likely what we've brought him in for. While he's big and only had a couple drops he's not a crisp route runner and fails to get any separation. From what I've read he's a low SPARQ player. If we can get another run blocking TE great (because Luke and Jimmy are not really that).... fills a need, but think we could've snagged him with our other 4th or even a 5th.

Grade: C

Rees Odhiambo, OG - Boise State:
11241017.jpe

I knew a little about Rees coming into this draft. I read that if it wasn't for injury issues he possibly could've sneaked into the first round or early 2nd. Very much like Ifedi, Odhiambo will need to work on technique but has all the raw talent required to be an impact player. Durability has to be a concern as Rees missed games in every season I believe. Overall it fills a need for Seattle but I'm not a huge fan of offensive lineman who have a history of missing games. Continuity across the O-Line and knowing what everyone is capable of through a history of games is highly important. If there was no injury history and we somehow snagged him in the late 3rd this would be an A+. Normally I'd grade someone with an injury history as a B but adding the minus given the position. I'm thinking Seattle is hoping they can condition him a bit more at the NFL level and fix these concerns.

Grade: B-

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All we (or maybe I) can really grade right now is the strategy. We've used 4 of the 5 picks on trench guys, which I'm a fan of because losing that battle to the Panthers pretty much ended our season last year. How the players turn out will carry the day, but to me the strategy so far seems pretty sound. You can almost never go wrong in continuing to invest in the lines on both sides.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All we (or maybe I) can really grade right now is the strategy. We've used 4 of the 5 picks on trench guys, which I'm a fan of because losing that battle to the Panthers pretty much ended our season last year. How the players turn out will carry the day, but to me the strategy so far seems pretty sound. You can almost never go wrong in continuing to invest in the lines on both sides.

Agreed. 3 out of 5 picks were in the trenches and Vannett's strength is run blocking... so you might be able to argue that is somewhat of a trench pick too.

The only concern I see is the OL players we took are very raw. Cable has his hands full (and he addressed that in press conferences). There will be some growing pains though for our OL which kind of sucks. But who knows, all depends how 'coachable' a guy is and how quickly our coaching staff can develop.

I see Vannett as a modern day Zach Miller. Good run blocker (needs to work on pass) and sure hands but not a huge threat receiving wise and fails to get separation (which was mostly Zach Miller to a tee).

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. 3 out of 5 picks were in the trenches and Vannett's strength is run blocking... so you might be able to argue that is somewhat of a trench pick too.

The only concern I see is the OL players we took are very raw. Cable has his hands full (and he addressed that in press conferences). There will be some growing pains though for our OL which kind of sucks. But who knows, all depends how 'coachable' a guy is and how quickly our coaching staff can develop.

I see Vannett as a modern day Zach Miller. Good run blocker (needs to work on pass) and sure hands but not a huge threat receiving wise and fails to get separation (which was mostly Zach Miller to a tee).
I did include the TE as a trench guy because based on his scouting report, it's clear to me we went after him for his blocking vs receiving. We already have 2 TEs whose skills are imbalanced the other way.

Maybe the linemen we took are currently limited by raw skills -- I'll take someone's word for that because I just don't know much about them -- but those are things that can be taught. You can't teach most of the other things they reportedly have, such as size, athleticism, and toughness.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did include the TE as a trench guy because based on his scouting report, it's clear to me we went after him for his blocking vs receiving. We already have 2 TEs whose skills are imbalanced the other way.

Maybe the linemen we took are currently limited by raw skills -- I'll take someone's word for that because I just don't know much about them -- but those are things that can be taught. You can't teach most of the other things they reportedly have, such as size, athleticism, and toughness.

Yep. Hence both my grade commentary (Ifedi was a separate post).

Sounds like we're in agreement on all fronts JMR :suds:

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the pick of Prosise as well... We've never really had a RB threat out of the backfield like Prosise... Some scouts compare him to Matt Forte but I like to compare him to Davey Johnson from the Cardinals... We saw what DJ did for them and I can see him being that similar player for us as well... He's a converted WR, which is why has the skills of a WR... I'm excited for this prospect because it will open up more for us on offense, especially on 3rd downs... He's going to bring a dynamic skill set coming out of the backfield via the pass...

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vannet not getting separation doesn't bother me much. Because he's going to be one of those TE's that gets open more with scheme (leaking out after staying in to block).

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vannet not getting separation doesn't bother me much. Because he's going to be one of those TE's that gets open more with scheme (leaking out after staying in to block).

Agree... He's a precise, route runner... He's not going to be Jimmy Graham or anything... He reminds me a bit of Zach Miller...