• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

davis or matt

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you was the gm which would you give the big deal ? i would offer davis

calfan810

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would offer matt the big deal...without even thinking twice

Zephyrus001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both. Barring injury, they are two of the best in their positions in the Majors.

IF there was no choice and only one had to be picked, I would give it to Davis because finding a power-hitting 1st basemen with above average D is harder than getting a catcher that can call a good game, hit and throw. Teagarden can handle the catching duties long enough for the FO to find a better replacement.

Mr. Oriole

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with Zephyrus. Both are young stars that the O's need to keep for years.

Adam Jones is signed thru 2018. Jones, Davis and Wieters are all 27 y.o. Keep them together.

pools

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you are asking today. Matt has shown it for a few years and there is maybe 1 better fielding catcher in the league and i dont think there is a better throw out catcher. Don't forget we haven't had a #1 ace pitcher on this team and he has called great games with average to below average pitchers.

Davis has not done it long enough to warrant a big contract just yet.

calfan810

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would still take matt over davis in a heartbeat, but i think matt's game calling is a little overrated, i know i'll get beat up for this, I only say that its overrated because i feel he exposes the secondary pitches too early therefore the pitch count is elevated and the pitchers cant go late in the games...in my opinion the opponents shouldn't see anything but a fb or a change-up until the 2nd time thru the order.

not a coincidence that are starting pitchers go 7 or more innings less than every other staff in the league

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would still take matt over davis in a heartbeat, but i think matt's game calling is a little overrated, i know i'll get beat up for this, I only say that its overrated because i feel he exposes the secondary pitches too early therefore the pitch count is elevated and the pitchers cant go late in the games...in my opinion the opponents shouldn't see anything but a fb or a change-up until the 2nd time thru the order.

not a coincidence that are starting pitchers go 7 or more innings less than every other staff in the league

i think he goes secondary when he should keep with what got you here .

calfan810

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that was a big thing with arrieta...he had a heck of a fastball but thought he had to throw every pitch in his arsenal to every batter...instead of simplifying things...arrieta was one of the few ive seen that could throw nothing but fastballs the first time thru the line-up and would have done just fine...as long as he moved it - in/out - up/down

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that was a big thing with arrieta...he had a heck of a fastball but thought he had to throw every pitch in his arsenal to every batter...instead of simplifying things...arrieta was one of the few ive seen that could throw nothing but fastballs the first time thru the line-up and would have done just fine...as long as he moved it - in/out - up/down
i can't get over hunter and that curve ball homer on a 3-2 count (dunn)!!! just stupid you beat me it will be on my best .

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i still think we need davis

Youngfan9886

Board Nightmare
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Davis over Matt right now.

2012 WAR (Includes Defense)
Davis - 2.0
Wieters - 3.9

2013 WAR (Includes Defense)
Davis - 5.8
Wieters - 1.9

Both are entering their primes but Wieters is downward trending while Davis is on the upswing. I wish Boras wasn't their agent.

calfan810

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as this season moves on...its turning out the weiters is expendable and overrated and davis is the one that gets the huge deal this offseason...so i change my vote to davis

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the jury is still out because the same data could be interpreted two ways. For example, if you use WAR as a metric again but calculate the per-season figure instead (counting 2013 so far as 123/162 of a season), this is what you would get: Davis: 1.16/yr; Wieters: 2.92/yr. Using the 2 WAR cutoff, this would seem to suggest that Wieters is a starter while Davis is a bench player.

Then again, one cannot deny that Davis is more valuable right now due to having one good year. So, the question essentially becomes "How sustainable is Davis' improvement in 2013?" vs. "How 'real' is Wieters' regression in 2013?"

Last edited by a moderator:

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[Addendum]

Regarding the last question in my previous posts, I looked at a few other stats:

Davis:
GB/FB ratio: 0.74 this year, vs. a career average of 0.90
HR/FB ratio: 33.1% this year, vs. a career average of 22.7%
(More fly balls equals more home runs-- and that fact is further strengthened by the unusually high HR/FB ratio. Clearly, this means that Davis is hitting with more power now.)

Wieters:
BABIP: 0.240 this year, vs. a career average of 0.284
GB/FB ratio: 0.89 this year, vs. a career average of 1.11
(The unusually low BABIP suggests that bad luck might have hampered his offensive output. The higher prevalence of fly balls might also explain the lower OBP this year. I think this means that Wieters' offense would rebound in the future.)

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, here's my personal opinion based on the limited data:
Keeping Davis should be a higher priority, but don't write off Wieters yet.

Youngfan9886

Board Nightmare
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well considering we have no one to replace either of them, they should both be of the highest priority. I would prefer we give them big extensions now so that when the contract is due to expire they are past their prime. If we wait too long on giving Davis and Wieters their extensions, we will be stuck with a Ryan Howard situation. ie. Paying an older and declining player big money with way less production.