• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Davis benched, Hill back in

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we go. smh We will get to see the offense with Hill in a collapsing pocket.

November 12, 2014 11:17 am

Rams reverse course, bench Austin Davis for Shaun Hill
by Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com
Rams coach Jeff Fisher, who on Monday said he was sticking with Austin Davis at quarterback, [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]532561319531393024[/MEDIA]"]changed his mind[/ame] and will start Shaun Hill against the Broncos, reports the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Davis committed turnovers on three straight fourth-quarter possessions in the Week 10 loss at Arizona, and he's thrown four pick-sixes in eight starts.
Hill completed 8 of 13 passes for 81 yards with an interception in the season opener before injuring his thigh and getting replaced by Davis. Fisher said he decided to "go with experience" with Hill, a 13-year vet, and told the team at a meeting Wednesday morning, the report said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad, SJ. Didn't notice you'd posted this minutes before I did.

It is nice to see football is a team sport again in St. Louis, though. :wink:

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This decision is ridiculous.

Hill isn't getting this team anywhere. He's a career journeyman backup for a reason.

And we just played some of the toughest defenses in the league the past 3-4 weeks. Did he really think Davis wasn't going to make mistakes? Does he honestly think Hill would've done better than Davis in those games?

I see no point in changing now. The team isn't making the playoffs. Might as well have seen what Davis could do the rest of the season because we all know what Hill can do.

Hey Fish, what is an extra win or two with Hill at QB going to prove anyways?

Besides dropping your team further down the draft board and out of the QB market ( barring a huge trade up that costs your team valuable draft picks ).

Ugh, I knew Fisher would do something stupid like this. It makes no sense. The team isn't going anywhere anyways.

TEB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone really care? Thank god college hoops starts Friday night. Go 'CCCCCCUUUUUSSSSSEEEEE!

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better question would be "Why not?". Taking into account what we now know about the team... does it really matter who's under center at this point?

It matters in the fact that Hill is a 34 yr old QB who is just about done in the NFL.

Davis still has upside and is only 25.

If it doesn't matter who the QB is because the team still has improving to do, why not do it with the younger QB?

What is an extra win or two going to do with Hill at QB besides dropping them in the draft order?

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Fish will put in Hill for one play then play davis for the rest of the game???

Maybe he's pulling a Billicheat?

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Davis has taken a beating. Time to let someone else take a few blows.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It matters in the fact that Hill is a 34 yr old QB who is just about done in the NFL.

Davis still has upside and is only 25.

If it doesn't matter who the QB is because the team still has improving to do, why not do it with the younger QB?

What is an extra win or two going to do with Hill at QB besides dropping them in the draft order?

I like Davis. But, I'm not sure where you're seeing all this upside, when he's regressed ever since his first start. I think we've seen pretty much all we're gonna see out of Davis. The "hot hand" everyone wanted has gone cold. This was to be expected... or, at least, should have been.

Unfortunately, this team has done all the improving it's going to do this year. By week 11, what you see is what you get. This is obviously not entirely Davis' fault, though. Coaching issues, injuries, and performance regressions have played a part as well.(I'd actually have a lot more confidence in Davis and the Rams if Brian Quick was still out there) As I've said before... the problems on this team go way beyond the QB.

Back in September, I believed that Hill gave us the best chance to win games. In hindsight... I think we'd have pretty much the same record right now, give or take, no matter who played. We're going into week 11 with 3 wins. So, I'd say we're well past the discussion of who's better for the team, though. When you ask "why not do it with the younger QB?", well... my best guess is... because we're not winning games with the younger QB.

So, when I say "Why not Hill?", I say it with true indifference. Because even though Fisher may believe it will change things, I believe the outcome will very likely be the same either way. Personally, I'm not all too concerned about draft position. That'll all work itself out.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No worries Caynine. Like I said on the one you posted, $50 bet that Hill gets hurt sunday.

Just when I was starting to stick up for Fisher... Was he expecting 2 wins on the road versus the 49ers and AZ? Hill is a pocket QB and I doubt our pocket holds up. If we would commit to the run, while eating up the clock (Keeping Denver's offense on the sideline) and pound it on the Broncos at home, I think we would have had a chance with Davis. Hill not so much.

I think this is 1 of 3 things:
1) FO is telling him what to do.
2) Davis has some aches and pains.
3) Rams Organization just wants to royally piss off the St. Louis fans and move to LA.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. But maybe they want to see what they have in Hill as well?

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, as far as any QB in the league.. Look at the defenses we have played and look at what other offenses have done versus them.

Maybe Davis is developing happy feet and needs to watch some more and learn..?

Who knows.

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupid decision but its the last resort for the struggling Rams. Les Snead is hoping this decision will help spark the Rams but that is near impossible when the Rams are going up against an offensive powerhouse. We will see Davis again in a few weeks.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its too late to make a change. Even if Hill leads the team roaring back to 7-9, where does that put this team long term?

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its too late to make a change. Even if Hill leads the team roaring back to 7-9, where does that put this team long term?

LOL...That's the kind of luck that this team has, but it probably wont happen like that.

IMO...as long as we have Shotty calling plays, whoever our qb is will be set up for failure. Hell, for that matter you could bring in Tom Brady and he would get his ass handed to him!

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...That's the kind of luck that this team has, but it probably wont happen like that.

IMO...as long as we have Shotty calling plays, whoever our qb is will be set up for failure. Hell, for that matter you could bring in Tom Brady and he would get his ass handed to him!
The only thing this move tells me is that these guys are trying to keep themselves from getting fired.

QB situation next year with Davis, Hill, Bradford....all look like future backups. Might as well go with the young guy who has guts.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, though... I don't think this decision went any further than Fisher thinking "Hey... Let's see what happens.". And honestly... what's the worst that could happen? We lose a game to the Denver Broncos? Perish the thought.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they say stupid is as stupid does!

This is beyond stupid, Hill is not going to make it through the rest of the year without getting hurt, let alone make it through this next game. Plus I see us going back to the same old boring dink and dunk game, ya Davis made some mistakes, and he will make more, but at least he threw the ball downfield and made things happen, good or bad!
This also may set him back being benched, so when he "has" to come back in it will be like starting all over again.

Odds are we aren't beating Denver whether Davis or Hill are in there. The odds are that Hill won't be on this team next year anyway. So it only makes sense to stick with Davis and see if he puts it all together. This was only a small sampling of games for him, and overall he played fairly well against some good teams.he made some bad decisions, but he also made some dam nice throws, which we haven't had for umpteen years!
The QB situation in the NFL is that there are a handful of elite QB, then there are some good QB's, then it falls off dramatically, alot of mediocre to really bad starting QB's. I think Davis has the tools to be a "good" QB, but we aren't going to find that out with him on the bench!

I, along with a few others on here wanted to see him play last year instead of Clemens, if that would have happened, maybe we would already know what we have in him and maybe, just maybe we wouldn't be set back another year, like we always are!

Davis still has potential, it may never work out, but you don't know until you know! To say that Hill has a better chance of winning games for us is ludicrous! For those of you that think he is more experienced and won't or wouldn't make the mistakes that Davis has, that just isn't true, Hill proved that in the first game against Minnesota with a very poor, ill advised throw in our own territory right before halftime that pretty much offset the great first half the defense put up!

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Davis. But, I'm not sure where you're seeing all this upside, when he's regressed ever since his first start. I think we've seen pretty much all we're gonna see out of Davis. The "hot hand" everyone wanted has gone cold. This was to be expected... or, at least, should have been.

Unfortunately, this team has done all the improving it's going to do this year. By week 11, what you see is what you get. This is obviously not entirely Davis' fault, though. Coaching issues, injuries, and performance regressions have played a part as well.(I'd actually have a lot more confidence in Davis and the Rams if Brian Quick was still out there) As I've said before... the problems on this team go way beyond the QB.

Back in September, I believed that Hill gave us the best chance to win games. In hindsight... I think we'd have pretty much the same record right now, give or take, no matter who played. We're going into week 11 with 3 wins. So, I'd say we're well past the discussion of who's better for the team, though. When you ask "why not do it with the younger QB?", well... my best guess is... because we're not winning games with the younger QB.

So, when I say "Why not Hill?", I say it with true indifference. Because even though Fisher may believe it will change things, I believe the outcome will very likely be the same either way. Personally, I'm not all too concerned about draft position. That'll all work itself out.

so, the defenses the Rams have faced the last 3-4 weeks don't have anything to do with his regression?

I just don't see the upside in making a switch to an old journeyman backup versus letting Davis continue to develop and see if he figures it out.