• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

David Boren would like to end The Longhorn Network

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ACC probably has a better academic reputation overall than the Big 10.

They just don't advertise it nonstop.

And, they occasionally will make an exception for a school like FLorida State or Louisville because they are not married to the academics only.
I'm not sure where they rank after the most recent expansions but before they had the best academic average as a whole of all the P5s.

So many people on these bds are so ignorant on this subject it's amusing. I've seen Oklahoma fans make comments about SEC schools and have no idea that Auburn and Alabama are ranked ahead of them not to mention aTm, Florida, Georgia, Missouri, Tennessee and of course Vandy.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude you really have no clue what you're talking about. ACC has a ton of extremely high academic schools in major markets:

North Carolina
Georgia Tech
Duke - Don't even pretend the B1G wouldn't want their basketball
Wake Forest
Clemson is on the rise big time in academic reputation

The B1G would bust a nut to get GT or UNC.

Spot on and that's the reason many think the way I do about the ACC being the prime target for a raid and not the Big12. The BIG has some interest, the SEC had some interest and the Big12 has some interest and the ACC pays a lot less than all 3 and we all know its all about the money at the end of the day.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas will never give up that money without some serious concessions from the Big 12 for Texas. I highly doubt the Big 12 members will want to do those concessions ala Dan Beebe style again. The Conference nearly melted down then.

Kansas State, Iowa State, Texas Tech, and Baylor might acquiesce, but I bet they have a bad taste in their mouth from the last go round.

Texas won't give up the revenue from the LHN. It is guaranteed no matter how good or bad Texas football is.

Why should Texas give it up? I don't blame Texas one iota for taking the money that ESPN offered them. The LHN contract was signed on December 24, 2010 by William Powers and Deloss Dodds.

Texas is probably demanding that the Big 12 make them whole if the LHN is broken up.

Not to mention, if the LHN ever becomes really profitable, Texas will make a bazillion bucks.

So far, ESPN says the LHN made money in 2015, so that is $295,000,000 - 2,000,000 = $293,000,000 to go before Texas starts to rake in 70% of the profit. Please remember the payout to Texas each year is part of the $295,000,000 but there are also other expenses added on each year that make the total amount much larger than $295,000,000.

I think there are 16 more years to go.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas will never give up that money without some serious concessions from the Big 12 for Texas. I highly doubt the Big 12 members will want to do those concessions ala Dan Beebe style again. The Conference nearly melted down then.

Kansas State, Iowa State, Texas Tech, and Baylor might acquiesce, but I bet they have a bad taste in their mouth from the last go round.

Texas won't give up the revenue from the LHN. It is guaranteed no matter how good or bad Texas football is.

Why should Texas give it up? I don't blame Texas one iota for taking the money that ESPN offered them. The LHN contract was signed on December 24, 2010 by William Powers and Deloss Dodds.

Texas is probably demanding that the Big 12 make them whole if the LHN is broken up.

Not to mention, if the LHN ever becomes really profitable, Texas will make a bazillion bucks.

So far, ESPN says the LHN made money in 2015, so that is $295,000,000 - 2,000,000 = $293,000,000 to go before Texas starts to rake in 70% of the profit. Please remember the payout to Texas each year is part of the $295,000,000 but there are also other expenses added on each year that make the total amount much larger than $295,000,000.

I think there are 16 more years to go.

All 14 SEC schools make more from the SECN than Texas does.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All 14 SEC schools make more from the SECN than Texas does.
Have the numbers been released? I Was thinking the SECN was projected to bring in around 5 million a piece this first year are you sure it's more than 15mm? The total package per school including CBS might be greater than Texas' overall network deals but I'm not sure the SECN is producing more than 15mm per school.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have the numbers been released? I Was thinking the SECN was projected to bring in around 5 million a piece this first year are you sure it's more than 15mm? The total package per school including CBS might be greater than Texas' overall network deals but I'm not sure the SECN is producing more than 15mm per school.

The 5.5 million was based on half a year and with the start up costs being taken out.

It was way more than was expected for the 1st payout.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 5.5 million was based on half a year and with the start up costs being taken out.
I understand that but are final numbers in? We would need to do about 8mm after expenses to do better than the LHN per school. I don't think that will happen but next year it should.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that but are final numbers in? We would need to do about 8mm after expenses to do better than the LHN per school. I don't think that will happen but next year it should.

The projections based on subscription numbers and costs is 35 million per school. That is before ESPN gets it's take. It's rumored ESPN gets 50%, so take away the 50% and you get 17.5 per school.

That number could possibly be low because that is only estimated based on subscription costs and before advertising.

I'm pretty curious/anxious to see what the payout will be. How much ESPN gets is rumored to be that 50%, but it's not actually known officially as far as I know. But I will be surprised if it's less than 15 million.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The projections based on subscription numbers and costs is 35 million per school. That is before ESPN gets it's take. It's rumored ESPN gets 50%, so take away the 50% and you get 17.5 per school.

That number could possibly be low because that is only estimated based on subscription costs and before advertising.

I'm pretty curious/anxious to see what the payout will be. How much ESPN gets is rumored to be that 50%, but it's not actually known officially as far as I know. But I will be surprised if it's less than 15 million.

I'm pretty sure it will be more on an annual basis, but it's still a conference network just barely outperforming a SCHOOL network. It's not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

The SECN in the end may end up being the ONLY conference network that works and makes money. All the others are failing.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure it will be more on an annual basis, but it's still a conference network just barely outperforming a SCHOOL network. It's not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

The SECN in the end may end up being the ONLY conference network that works and makes money. All the others are failing.
ACC doesn't have a network and it probably won't launch now.
PAC has chosen to own it's network and just have distribution partnerships.
B1G partnered with FOX who owns 51% and that was a mistake IMO.

B1G will need to restructure their deals in the future but B1G is under contract to 2026.
The PAC has a lot of flexibility in what they can do but distribution is limited right now.

A key point you are missing is that the SEC Network is profitable in its first year but the LHN has not been profitable in 4. At some point the LHN crashes but ESPN maybe stuck until the contract ends in 16 years. Regardless the 15 million is the max you will earn based on the trend.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, but if the Pac12 negotiates with Texas again I want it on PPV seeing Texas's president go up against UCLA, SC, Stanford and Cal.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in other words...screw you OU

This is where Boren/OU can win either way. Either Texas cooperates or it takes the chance that OU will go rogue. And for those who think OU absolutely, 100% must play UT to recruit strongly in Texas they are wrong. I would MUCH PREFER to play UT every year but if that game was no longer played for any reason Oklahoma can still play plenty of games in Jerry World and also schedule games around the state against Texas schools. I hope it never comes to that but Oklahoma has finally learned a lesson: Texas is a great partner but they make a lousy boss.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where Boren/OU can win either way. Either Texas cooperates or it takes the chance that OU will go rogue. And for those who think OU absolutely, 100% must play UT to recruit strongly in Texas they are wrong. I would MUCH PREFER to play UT every year but if that game was no longer played for any reason Oklahoma can still play plenty of games in Jerry World and also schedule games around the state against Texas schools. I hope it never comes to that but Oklahoma has finally learned a lesson: Texas is a great partner but they make a lousy boss.

Ignore the troll thread I made about this. It's was to make fun of Texas. But this is a very good article on possible additions to the big xii

Academics matters in conference realignment | NewsOK.com

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least you acknowledge who is calling the shots in the Big 12.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ignore the troll thread I made about this. It's was to make fun of Texas. But this is a very good article on possible additions to the big xii

Here is a fair article on the subject. Academics do matter and I'm glad. I have three degrees and two of them are from Oklahoma. I want OU to do as well as possible on the academic side as well as the athletic side. That's why my wife and I give to our colleges at OU in addition to forking over money to the athletic department.

Why Nebraska never will leave the Big Ten

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks for posting that h1217. Interesting read. Here are my thoughts.

I'm like the writer in his quote, "I don't claim to know the legitimacy of academic rankings."

Therefore, I'm going to make an assumption based on another of his quotes. "OU is unlikely to become an AAU member, as it would have to at least double its current annual research expenditures from nationally competitive grants and currently has no National Academy of Sciences members (most AAU members have at least 10 NAS member and many have significantly more - none has fewer than five NAS members.)"

The above quote leads me to believe qualifications are based on things such as research expenditures of funds received from competitive grants, endorsements of faculty members, etc. Not necessarily the quality of direct education received by the student. I may be wrong in this assumption as I know many will say having the above trickles down to a high quality education to the student.

As someone married to a former high school counselor in Texas, I know the ease and difficulty of students being admitted to higher education institutions in Texas. That said, I would question the validity of any entity that endorses the University of Houston as elite and above Baylor, TCU, and SMU...much less above a Notre Dame. And, that is not a knock on the U of H. They are much better than the "Cougar High" nickname they are often referred to.