• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

David Boren would like to end The Longhorn Network

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for posting that h1217. Interesting read. Here are my thoughts.

I'm like the writer in his quote, "I don't claim to know the legitimacy of academic rankings."

Therefore, I'm going to make an assumption based on another of his quotes. "OU is unlikely to become an AAU member, as it would have to at least double its current annual research expenditures from nationally competitive grants and currently has no National Academy of Sciences members (most AAU members have at least 10 NAS member and many have significantly more - none has fewer than five NAS members.)"

The above quote leads me to believe qualifications are based on things such as research expenditures of funds received from competitive grants, endorsements of faculty members, etc. Not necessarily the quality of direct education received by the student. I may be wrong in this assumption as I know many will say having the above trickles down to a high quality education to the student.

As someone married to a former high school counselor in Texas, I know the ease and difficulty of students being admitted to higher education institutions in Texas. That said, I would question the validity of any entity that endorses the University of Houston as elite and above Baylor, TCU, and SMU...much less above a Notre Dame. And, that is not a knock on the U of H. They are much better than the "Cougar High" nickname they are often referred to.

Rankings can get complicated. ND does not do much research, so they are no where in world rankings. Very good 4 year degree though. I would not ignore research. It's obviously a very important factor, but it's best to just understand the criteria that the different rankings use. University rankings are similar to computer polls. All of them provide some information, but only if you understand what information they are looking to provide.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rankings can get complicated. ND does not do much research, so they are no where in world rankings. Very good 4 year degree though. I would not ignore research. It's obviously a very important factor, but it's best to just understand the criteria that the different rankings use. University rankings are similar to computer polls. All of them provide some information, but only if you understand what information they are looking to provide.
I guess it depends on what one believes is the primary reason for the existence of higher education. I'm of the belief that higher education institutions were created and exist in order for people to continue their "formal" education beyond K-12. While research can be a part of and assist in providing that education, it should not be the main emphasis or reason for existence.

I am sure there are others than believe research should be the number 1 priority of higher ed institutions. I just disagree. I'd rather my tax dollars be used to keep the cost of higher education as low as possible in my state. We are rapidly pricing kids from middle income families out of it. I know first hand. I had a daughter halfway through at Texas State when the legislature decided to reduce state funding and let the universities to raise their tuition as much as needed to offset the reduction in state funds. Her tuition went up 40% per semester. When she finished it was MORE expensive than what my oldest daughter paid at a private university.

Let corporate America fund the vast majority of research. While the public can benefit from the research, corporate America is the one that will profit from it.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take a look at what university research has given the world. I don't think you really want that gone. You are solving one problem and creating another. If you fixed academic bureaucracy, than we might be able to fix your issue without unintended consequences

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take a look at what university research has given the world. I don't think you really want that gone. You are solving one problem and creating another. If you fixed academic bureaucracy, than we might be able to fix your issue without unintended consequences
I understand the contribution of research. I just don't think it should be done at the expense of the students of its state and secondary to those students' education.

And I agree 100% with you about academic bureaucracy. Fixing it would be a great start.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the contribution of research. I just don't think it should be done at the expense of the students of its state and secondary to those students' education.
Pretty much the Catholic view of secondary education and why ND doesn't invest more in research as their mission is to educate and prepare the students for careers outside of academia. The Jesuits (Notre Dame is not a Jesuit School) are the finest educators in the world and founded what is the western civilization's university system.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think FSU has wanted out of the ACC for years......it's basically a basketball conference and FSU feels they don't have any clout.

If they could get out of the GOR issue, they might consider a jump. Don't know about Clemson though.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think FSU has wanted out of the ACC for years......it's basically a basketball conference and FSU feels they don't have any clout.

If they could get out of the GOR issue, they might consider a jump. Don't know about Clemson though.

BamaFanAlways

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC distributed $457.8 million to its 14 members, an average of $32.7 million per school. That's up from $21 million per school in 2013-14. per CBS sports,.

OU, wanna come play with us? We'll even let little brother come along.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC distributed $457.8 million to its 14 members, an average of $32.7 million per school. That's up from $21 million per school in 2013-14. per CBS sports,.

OU, wanna come play with us? We'll even let little brother come along.
1. That is the amount that was distributed in 2015.
2. It was up only 10 million per school from the prior year not 21 million.
3. We won't know what will be distributed in 2016 until May.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. That is the amount that was distributed in 2015.
2. It was up only 10 million per school from the prior year not 21 million.
3. We won't know what will be distributed in 2016 until May.

can't tell if serious? :noidea:

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can't tell if serious? :noidea:
Serious. The numbers quoted aren't correct and we don't know what the SEC network is going to add to the take this year.

BamaFanAlways

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious. The numbers quoted aren't correct and we don't know what the SEC network is going to add to the take this year.

Now you see how the Barners are...
No one claimed that these were 2016 numbers
It said that the payout WAS 21 million, not UP 21 million.

That said, it is still a lot more than OU made from the Big 12 Network...

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The gap really isn't that big IF there is any gap at all.

Each SEC member made 32.7 million (1st, 2nd, and 3rd tier)
Each Big 12 member made 25.7 million (1st and 2nd only)

That is an average gap of 7 million, but you have to add back 3rd tier money each Big 12 team makes alone.
3rd tier money puts WVU, Kansas, and OU right there with the SEC....and it puts Texas ahead of the SEC.

All the Power 5 leagues are making tons of money, with the exception of maybe the ACC and its bad contract.
The ACC gave their 3rd tier away for free for some idiotic reason.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The gap really isn't that big IF there is any gap at all.

Each SEC member made 32.7 million (1st, 2nd, and 3rd tier)
Each Big 12 member made 25.7 million (1st and 2nd only)

That is an average gap of 7 million, but you have to add back 3rd tier money each Big 12 team makes alone.
3rd tier money puts WVU, Kansas, and OU right there with the SEC....and it puts Texas ahead of the SEC.

All the Power 5 leagues are making tons of money, with the exception of maybe the ACC and its bad contract.
The ACC gave their 3rd tier away for free for some idiotic reason.

The SEC Network only paid out $5 million last year because of start up costs and it didn't have a full year of subscriptions. They weren't expecting any profit at all until year 3.

This time next month we should get SECN numbers for this past full year and no startup costs.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SECN is probably the ONLY conference network that will make money. This isn't some huge surprise.

Not sure what the point of this discussion is.