• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Daryl Washington suspended for the year

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole MJ thing is absolutely stupid. It's not a PED and the NFL has to stop this morality police garbage because they're awful at it.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THC doesn't help your football game... If anything it's gonna make you lazy... The entire USA needs to stop demonizing Pot when your butt can go to the local bar and drink yourself into a coma if you wanted too... I'm glad it's legal in Wash now... It's a choice anyway...

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter if its legal, the NFL can ban it and hand down punishment for violations.

Besides that, its in the NFL's best interest to not have players doing drugs. For one, performance issues like you said, and two children pay attention to athletes and are easily influenced.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter if its legal, the NFL can ban it and hand down punishment for violations.

Besides that, its in the NFL's best interest to not have players doing drugs. For one, performance issues like you said, and two children pay attention to athletes and are easily influenced.

But they can drink alcohol ..... Weed is actually safer than alcohol... Is the NFL gonna ban drinking ?

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they can drink alcohol ..... Weed is actually safer than alcohol... Is the NFL gonna ban drinking ?

The NFL is subject to federal drug laws. Eventually these laws should change, but right now it's illegal and DW is fully aware of that.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL is subject to federal drug laws. Eventually these laws should change, but right now it's illegal and DW is fully aware of that.

For sure not even questioning his stupidity ... Just questioning the law...

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This can only help the Seahawks. I'd like to send Washington a thank you card.

BloodType49

FT Bragg NC, aka the center of the universe.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,210.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's debatable.

Sorry had to jump in here......

Many people die from alcohol use. Nobody dies from marijuana use. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that more than 37,000 annual U.S. deaths, including more than 1,400 in Colorado, are attributed to alcohol use alone (i.e. this figure does not include accidental deaths). On the other hand, the CDC does not even have a category for deaths caused by the use of marijuana.

People die from alcohol overdoses. There has never been a fatal marijuana overdose. The official publication of the Scientific Research Society, American Scientist, reported that alcohol is one of the most toxic drugs and using just 10 times what one would use to get the desired effect could lead to death. Marijuana is one of – if not the – least toxic drugs, requiring thousands of times the dose one would use to get the desired effect to lead to death. This “thousands of times” is actually theoretical, since there has never been a case of an individual dying from a marijuana overdose. Meanwhile, according to the CDC, hundreds of alcohol overdose deaths occur the United States each year.

The health-related costs associated with alcohol use far exceed those for marijuana use. Health-related costs for alcohol consumers are eight times greater than those for marijuana consumers, according to an assessment recently published in the British Columbia Mental Health and Addictions Journal. More specifically, the annual cost of alcohol consumption is $165 per user, compared to just $20 per user for marijuana. This should not come as a surprise given the vast amount of research that shows alcohol poses far more – and more significant – health problems than marijuana.

Alcohol use damages the brain. Marijuana use does not. Despite the myths we've heard throughout our lives about marijuana killing brain cells, it turns out that a growing number of studies seem to indicate that marijuana actually has neuroprotective properties. This means that it works to protect brain cells from harm. For example, one recent study found that teens who used marijuana as well as alcohol suffered significantly less damage to the white matter in their brains. Of course, what is beyond question is that alcohol damages brain cells.

Alcohol use is linked to cancer. Marijuana use is not. Alcohol use is associated with a wide variety of cancers, including cancers of the esophagus, stomach, colon, lungs, pancreas, liver and prostate. Marijuana use has not been conclusively associated with any form of cancer. In fact, one study recently contradicted the long-time government claim that marijuana use is associated with head and neck cancers. It found that marijuana use actually reduced the likelihood of head and neck cancers. If you are concerned about marijuana being associated with lung cancer, you may be interested in the results of the largest case-controlled study ever conducted to investigate the respiratory effects of marijuana smoking and cigarette smoking. Released in 2006, the study, conducted by Dr. Donald Tashkin at the University of California at Los Angeles, found that marijuana smoking was not associated with an increased risk of developing lung cancer. Surprisingly, the researchers found that people who smoked marijuana actually had lower incidences of cancer compared to non-users of the drug.

Alcohol is more addictive than marijuana. Addiction researchers have consistently reported that marijuana is far less addictive than alcohol based on a number of factors. In particular, alcohol use can result in significant and potentially fatal physical withdrawal, whereas marijuana has not been found to produce any symptoms of physical withdrawal. Those who use alcohol are also much more likely to develop dependence and build tolerance.

Alcohol use increases the risk of injury to the consumer. Marijuana use does not. Many people who have consumed alcohol or know others who have consumed alcohol would not be surprised to hear that it greatly increases the risk of serious injury. Research published this year in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research, found that 36 percent of hospitalized assaults and 21 percent of all injuries are attributable to alcohol use by the injured person. Meanwhile, the American Journal of Emergency Medicine reported that lifetime use of marijuana is rarely associated with emergency room visits. According to the British Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs, this is because: "Cannabis differs from alcohol … in one major respect. It does not seem to increase risk-taking behavior. This means that cannabis rarely contributes to violence either to others or to oneself, whereas alcohol use is a major factor in deliberate self-harm, domestic accidents and violence." Interestingly enough, some research has even shown that marijuana use has been associated with a decreased risk of injury.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plenty of news stories about deaths in Colorado now that its legal. As more people start using it, fully expect that more people will die from it or from accidents related to it.

I am almost certain you could use the same argument for most other drugs as far as death is concerned.

So should we ban alcohol or legalize everything?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I disagree with the rule, but it is a rule and with all the money riding on following the rules, just frigging follow the rules. That being said...wow they really laid down the law here. Makes me wonder what will happen to Aldon Smith. IMO what he has done added up to more then what Washington did.

BloodType49

FT Bragg NC, aka the center of the universe.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,210.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plenty of news stories about deaths in Colorado now that its legal. As more people start using it, fully expect that more people will die from it or from accidents related to it.

I am almost certain you could use the same argument for most other drugs as far as death is concerned.

Just read the report you mentioned and am quite shocked as I've never heard of someone acting in such a way after ingesting Marijuana but I guess the potency in the Cookie he ate was 6 times the normal dosage of a typical Marijuana Cookie, regardless the amount of Alcohol related Deaths and injury's compared to that of Marijuana isn't even in the same realm.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Please expand upon the plenty of deaths from mj being reported in Colorado statement.

As a former pothead and a guy that has done more than his fair share of drinking (again this is generally in the past. Former rock band member) I can hands down say that alcohol is far worse for your body.

.......and as far as your legalize everything comment goes, they were never issues with me but I know a few people who are 6 feet under from the likes of coke and heroin. Not a good idea to legalize all unless your purpose is to thin out the herd.

The "funny" thing is that I have seen more killed by tobacco than anything else. More lung cancer in my grandparents generation than I even want to think about.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never smoked weed and never plan to, but who gives a shit that these guys smoke? Bad influence on kids? How would the kids ever know? Should top level athletes take drugs? No. But they shouldn't drink or go whoring at clubs either. But lots do. We only ever hear about it when someone gets shot or when they're dumb enough to put it on social media.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
High caliber NFL athletes get paid millions of dollars to play a game. One of the stipulations is to not take any of the drugs listed out by the league. If you take those drugs, you suspended and you don't get paid. It's that simple. I guess Washington doesn't like to make money. Maybe he's adverse in helping the Cards make it to the playoffs? Either way, he hurt his team.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue here isn't whether marijuana should be legal in the 48 states where it still isn't, it's that it's on the list of banned substances by the NFL. As others have pointed out, there are a lot of substances that are legal in the US that the NFL still bans the use of, and if players are stupid for knowing those substances are banned and are still taking them, then they're just as stupid for knowing that marijuana is banned and still using it. The other 48 states could legalize it tomorrow, but until the NFL removes it from its banned list, players are going to continue to be suspended for using it.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I"ve seen people smoke until they can't walk... and they wake up the next morning ready to go... I"m sure maybe allergic reactions or maybe someone who has heart issues that are bad can have problems ... But Pot alone I don't even think it's possible to OD on it... Your just gonna go to sleep for a couple day's ... I don't think there has ever been a case of a Pot overdose death... I"m sure people have died while on it but it could a been other related issues... Alcohol kills people all the time...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry had to jump in here......

Many people die from alcohol use. Nobody dies from marijuana use. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that more than 37,000 annual U.S. deaths, including more than 1,400 in Colorado, are attributed to alcohol use alone (i.e. this figure does not include accidental deaths). On the other hand, the CDC does not even have a category for deaths caused by the use of marijuana.

People die from alcohol overdoses. There has never been a fatal marijuana overdose. The official publication of the Scientific Research Society, American Scientist, reported that alcohol is one of the most toxic drugs and using just 10 times what one would use to get the desired effect could lead to death. Marijuana is one of – if not the – least toxic drugs, requiring thousands of times the dose one would use to get the desired effect to lead to death. This “thousands of times” is actually theoretical, since there has never been a case of an individual dying from a marijuana overdose. Meanwhile, according to the CDC, hundreds of alcohol overdose deaths occur the United States each year.

The health-related costs associated with alcohol use far exceed those for marijuana use. Health-related costs for alcohol consumers are eight times greater than those for marijuana consumers, according to an assessment recently published in the British Columbia Mental Health and Addictions Journal. More specifically, the annual cost of alcohol consumption is $165 per user, compared to just $20 per user for marijuana. This should not come as a surprise given the vast amount of research that shows alcohol poses far more – and more significant – health problems than marijuana.

Alcohol use damages the brain. Marijuana use does not. Despite the myths we've heard throughout our lives about marijuana killing brain cells, it turns out that a growing number of studies seem to indicate that marijuana actually has neuroprotective properties. This means that it works to protect brain cells from harm. For example, one recent study found that teens who used marijuana as well as alcohol suffered significantly less damage to the white matter in their brains. Of course, what is beyond question is that alcohol damages brain cells.

Alcohol use is linked to cancer. Marijuana use is not. Alcohol use is associated with a wide variety of cancers, including cancers of the esophagus, stomach, colon, lungs, pancreas, liver and prostate. Marijuana use has not been conclusively associated with any form of cancer. In fact, one study recently contradicted the long-time government claim that marijuana use is associated with head and neck cancers. It found that marijuana use actually reduced the likelihood of head and neck cancers. If you are concerned about marijuana being associated with lung cancer, you may be interested in the results of the largest case-controlled study ever conducted to investigate the respiratory effects of marijuana smoking and cigarette smoking. Released in 2006, the study, conducted by Dr. Donald Tashkin at the University of California at Los Angeles, found that marijuana smoking was not associated with an increased risk of developing lung cancer. Surprisingly, the researchers found that people who smoked marijuana actually had lower incidences of cancer compared to non-users of the drug.

Alcohol is more addictive than marijuana. Addiction researchers have consistently reported that marijuana is far less addictive than alcohol based on a number of factors. In particular, alcohol use can result in significant and potentially fatal physical withdrawal, whereas marijuana has not been found to produce any symptoms of physical withdrawal. Those who use alcohol are also much more likely to develop dependence and build tolerance.

Alcohol use increases the risk of injury to the consumer. Marijuana use does not. Many people who have consumed alcohol or know others who have consumed alcohol would not be surprised to hear that it greatly increases the risk of serious injury. Research published this year in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research, found that 36 percent of hospitalized assaults and 21 percent of all injuries are attributable to alcohol use by the injured person. Meanwhile, the American Journal of Emergency Medicine reported that lifetime use of marijuana is rarely associated with emergency room visits. According to the British Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs, this is because: "Cannabis differs from alcohol … in one major respect. It does not seem to increase risk-taking behavior. This means that cannabis rarely contributes to violence either to others or to oneself, whereas alcohol use is a major factor in deliberate self-harm, domestic accidents and violence." Interestingly enough, some research has even shown that marijuana use has been associated with a decreased risk of injury.

Nice .... :nod:

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue here isn't whether marijuana should be legal in the 48 states where it still isn't, it's that it's on the list of banned substances by the NFL. As others have pointed out, there are a lot of substances that are legal in the US that the NFL still bans the use of, and if players are stupid for knowing those substances are banned and are still taking them, then they're just as stupid for knowing that marijuana is banned and still using it. The other 48 states could legalize it tomorrow, but until the NFL removes it from its banned list, players are going to continue to be suspended for using it.

I totally agree with you and Techgod. They are paid big bucks so they should go out of their way to abide by the rules.
The discussion took an odd turn in that I didn't see anywhere in the article where it specified mj as the culprit.
Anyways, Washington did the Cards a big disfavor. They are very thin at ILB now. Bad for them, good for the rest of the NFCW.