• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Daryl Morey and China

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does someone have to be actively doing something for Hong Kong in order to point out Lebron and the NBA's hypocrisy?
Because no one gave a shit about HK until this incident. That's even more hypocritical. People are getting off on faux outrage about something they didn't care about before.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because no one gave a shit about HK until this incident. That's even more hypocritical. People are getting off on faux outrage about something they didn't care about before.

Actually, that's not hypocritical at all. Just because someone hasn't actively done anything for Hong Kong, doesn't mean they can't comment on or point out the hypocrisy of others.

I and the vast majority of posters on here are not really in a position to do anything for Hong Kong. We have neither the money, nor the fame to do anything that would make a difference. Not being in a position to do something, doesn't mean a person doesn't care.

However, Lebron and the NBA are in a position to be be able to at least pressure the Chinese government re: Hong Kong.

The fact that they are willing to make statements and take action when it either adds to or at least, has no effect on their bottom line, but remain silent or refer to someone else as "misinformed" and "uneducated" when they actually tweeted support for oppressed people, is as hypocritical as it gets.

I heard yesterday that protesters in Hong Kong were burning Lebron jerseys. Meanwhile, in China, his jerseys and shoes were selling well.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if you want to speak out on some injustice in the US you also have to speak up on every injustice in every country in the world?

No, you don't have to and that's part of the point. He could have kept his mouth shut or made a statement about not being familiar enough with what is happening in China to comment.

Instead, he took the fire Morey started and added gasoline and more matches.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did Lebron ever say he was against what Morey said? Because I see a lot of people hijack this topic to make it seem like he is against people standing up for Hong Kong.

He said that Morey should be punished for what he said and he also called him "misinformed" and "uneducated".

Additionally, from what I heard, people in Hong Kong were burning his jersey, while several versions of his jersey and shoes were selling well in China.

So I'd say it's pretty clear how his comments were taken by each side.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, that's not hypocritical at all. Just because someone hasn't actively done anything for Hong Kong, doesn't mean they can't comment on or point out the hypocrisy of others.

I and the vast majority of posters on here are not really in a position to do anything for Hong Kong. We have neither the money, nor the fame to do anything that would make a difference. Not being in a position to do something, doesn't mean a person doesn't care.

However, Lebron and the NBA are in a position to be be able to at least pressure the Chinese government re: Hong Kong.

The fact that they are willing to make statements and take action when it either adds to or at least, has no effect on their bottom line, but remain silent or refer to someone else as "misinformed" and "uneducated" when they actually tweeted support for oppressed people, is as hypocritical as it gets.

I heard yesterday that protesters in Hong Kong were burning Lebron jerseys. Meanwhile, in China, his jerseys and shoes were selling well.
All fake drama here in the US. That's all I'm saying.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, you don't have to and that's part of the point. He could have kept his mouth shut or made a statement about not being familiar enough with what is happening in China to comment.

Instead, he took the fire Morey started and added gasoline and more matches.
I've already said multiple times, he should have shut his yap.

But I have no time for the pearl clutching and faux outrage here. Because no one ripping him really gives a shit about HK.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Column: For LeBron James, injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere … except in China

For LeBron James, injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere … except in China

The tweet from LeBron James was powerful, poignant and seemingly beyond all debate.

“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere,” he wrote on Jan. 15, 2018, quoting Martin Luther King Jr. on his holiday. “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”

In tapping his inner mercenary, James revealed that even the sports world’s leading social equality warrior has his limits.

Sure, he said, injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere … except in China, because that’s where he sells truckloads of jerseys and shoes.

Fine, he said, our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter … except if those things can stop those checks flowing in from China, in which case, shut up!

“So many people could have been harmed not only financially, physically, emotionally, spiritually,” James said of the tweet’s effect. “Yes, we do have freedom of speech, but there can be a lot of negative that comes with that, too.”

Note that in his list of “harms,” James begins with “financially.”

Also note the idea of him bowing at the altar of the almighty Chinese yuan by saying freedom of speech can “be a lot of negative.”

This is the same LeBron James who in recent years has become a national icon by freely speaking out against everything from racial inequality to police violence to racist remarks by President Trump? This is the same social leader who drew nationwide support when his free speech led an ignorant TV host to admonish him to “shut up and dribble?”

Doesn’t it seem like James just told Daryl Morey to shut up and run a basketball team?

The gross hypocrisy of James’ spoken comments Monday caused such a social media stir, he later tweeted out a clarification in which he claimed he wasn’t ripping Morey’s actual words, just his … timing?

Oh yes, of course, if Morey waits a week, then James and the NBA are allowed to fully market themselves to those millions of Chinese fans without rebuke or reprisal. If Morey waits a week, the Lakers and Nets can fly in, sell themselves down to their last shoelaces, then fly back home where they would find it easy to support Morey’s tweet with pockets bulging.

So freedom of speech is OK as long as it doesn’t inconvenience anyone?
This is what I mean @trojanfan12

Wiggy was deep in his safe space avoiding us due to the Browns collapse, but now he's all over LeBron.

Because Wiggy was such a big supporter of HK democracy before this. Pathetic.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But I have no time for the pearl clutching and faux outrage here. Because no one ripping him really gives a shit about HK.

How do you know what people give a shit about?

As I posted earlier, not being in position to do anything for them, doesn't equal not giving a shit.

There is a homeless encampment near where I work. I am not in a position to help those people. But that doesn't mean I don't care, don't wish there were a way I could help them or that I haven't tried to think of ways to help them.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can agree with the Hong Kong part.

If people are criticizing him for not joining the cause, yeah.

That's very unfair.

But, that's not what I'm seeing, at least on this site.

People are flamming him for the hypocrisy of undermining Morey's tweet, when it's something he has done many times over, when the cause fit his narrative.

I won't speak for anyone else.

But, that is my position on the topic.

I'm positive I have a house full of shit made in China that I won't be giving up anytime soon.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wiggy was deep in his safe space avoiding us due to the Browns collapse, but now he's all over LeBron.

If your using Wiggy as your best example of how hypocritical others are...it seems you've already lost the point and are grasping at straws. lol

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can agree with the Hong Kong part.

If people are criticizing him for not joining the cause, yeah.

That's very unfair.

But, that's not what I'm seeing, at least on this site.

People are flamming him for the hypocrisy of undermining Morey's tweet, when it's something he has done many times over, when the cause fit his narrative.

I won't speak for anyone else.

But, that is my position on the topic.

I'm positive I have a house full of shit made in China that I won't be giving up anytime soon.
I keep agreeing, he should have shut up. That's all, end of story. Spare me the tears for Hong Kong though. No one said dick about that before. Especially Wiggy.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep agreeing, he should have shut up. That's all, end of story. Spare me the tears for Hong Kong though. No one said dick about that before. Especially Wiggy.
Outside of the Wigster, who is taking him to task over the cause, specifically?

Like, I get it on a certain level....

He is a SJW.

You can't tweet MLK quotes and not expect people to feel some kinda way when it appears you are turning a blind eye to injustice to protect your bottom line.

On the other hand.....

What about what's going on in India, N Korea, Africa etc etc......

He's one man and can't take on the whole world.

But, he also shouldn't tell others that they can't support the efforts of the people that want to try.

Which we both agree on.....

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
eat a big fat dick.

While I think Trump is mostly a disaster- the one bright shining aspect of his Presidency has been being tough on China.

As you can see from my message on the last page:

"Hong Kong is only a very small part regarding the nefarious dealings of China. A communist government led by a dictator. Wiping clean the massacre of thousands of students and young people at Tienanmen Square. Atrocious speech restrictions. In addition to:

Blatant IP theft of US companies, forced ventures and technology transfers, atrocious human rights records, imprisonment of hundreds of thousands of Christians and Muslims for "re-education", currency manipulation, threatening of Taiwan, militarization of the south china sea, stealing other countries exclusive economic zones such as Vietnam, Philippines, Japan, etc."

one of the absolute WORST is the fact that they basically kill a ton of these people and sell their organs on the free market.

You want a liver? You can be on a waiting list in the US for a few years and MAYBE get one- or go buy one torn out of the gut of a religious dissident in China for a cool $150,000.00

the moral- just because you are an ignorant piece of shit does not mean everyone is.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wiggy gonna Wiggy. He's as hypocritical and duplicitous about Lebron as it gets.

Having said that, this is an NBA board where the vast majority of comments are (theoretically) about basketball and the NBA.

Perhaps the reason no one has commented about China and Hong Kong is because there hasn't been reason to before this happened?

I'm not going to say that Hong Kong has ever been "front of mind" for me. But I haven't seen any reason to comment on Hong Kong on a board that is about the NBA until this situation.

Should I be making comments like: "Wow, I really love that the Lakers were able to pair AD with Lebron. But I really hate how the Chinese government treats Hong Kong."

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is a SJW.

You can't tweet MLK quotes and not expect people to feel some kinda way when it appears you are turning a blind eye to injustice to protect your bottom line.

On the other hand.....

But, he also shouldn't tell others that they can't support the efforts of the people that want to try.

me? taking him to task for the issue?

i merely highlighted his hypocrisy by copying and pasting articles that were not even my own specific words----- but the big cry baby over here always tries to shoe-horn me into his bullshit because i own a big piece of real estate in his mostly empty head.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is a SJW.

On the other hand.....

^^^This^^^

Every word of it.

What would his reaction have been if, when he called the President a bum, Morey had tweeted that he was "misinformed" and "uneducated"?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wiggy gonna Wiggy. He's as hypocritical and duplicitous about Lebron as it gets.

Having said that, this is an NBA board where the vast majority of comments are (theoretically) about basketball and the NBA.

Perhaps the reason no one has commented about China and Hong Kong is because there hasn't been reason to before this happened?

I'm not going to say that Hong Kong has ever been "front of mind" for me. But I haven't seen any reason to comment on Hong Kong on a board that is about the NBA until this situation.

Should I be making comments like: "Wow, I really love that the Lakers were able to pair AD with Lebron. But I really hate how the Chinese government treats Hong Kong."
what i would be thinking more is---- i really love the NBA, but at what point does me enjoying a league who bends over backwards to kowtow and support a communist dictatorship that kills thousands of its people, crushes dissent, destroys free speech, and goes against every democratic principle that the US was based on get in the way of me enjoying the NBA.

thats a personal question for everyone.

at least Silver supported free speech.

Lebron was as ridiculous of an ass kisser as he could be- his statement read like it was approved by someone in the chinese government.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
me? taking him to task for the issue?

i merely highlighted his hypocrisy by copying and pasting articles that were not even my own specific words----- but the big cry baby over here always tries to shoe-horn me into his bullshit because i own a big piece of real estate in his mostly empty head.
I know.

But, you are a polarizing poster for some.

I'm just trying to remove you as a barrier for a civil debate.

I meant no offense.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know "Wiggy" at all but personally there are many subjects/issues that I care deeply about and yet never or almost never post about on here. I'm sorry if you thought that we were closer than that :wink: