• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Daryl Morey and China

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“Lebron is a hypocrite” says everybody who had no problem with the NBA doing business with China but now is sooooooo concern about Hong Kong.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Column: For LeBron James, injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere … except in China

For LeBron James, injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere … except in China

The tweet from LeBron James was powerful, poignant and seemingly beyond all debate.

“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere,” he wrote on Jan. 15, 2018, quoting Martin Luther King Jr. on his holiday. “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”

In tapping his inner mercenary, James revealed that even the sports world’s leading social equality warrior has his limits.

Sure, he said, injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere … except in China, because that’s where he sells truckloads of jerseys and shoes.

Fine, he said, our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter … except if those things can stop those checks flowing in from China, in which case, shut up!

“So many people could have been harmed not only financially, physically, emotionally, spiritually,” James said of the tweet’s effect. “Yes, we do have freedom of speech, but there can be a lot of negative that comes with that, too.”

Note that in his list of “harms,” James begins with “financially.”

Also note the idea of him bowing at the altar of the almighty Chinese yuan by saying freedom of speech can “be a lot of negative.”

This is the same LeBron James who in recent years has become a national icon by freely speaking out against everything from racial inequality to police violence to racist remarks by President Trump? This is the same social leader who drew nationwide support when his free speech led an ignorant TV host to admonish him to “shut up and dribble?”

Doesn’t it seem like James just told Daryl Morey to shut up and run a basketball team?

The gross hypocrisy of James’ spoken comments Monday caused such a social media stir, he later tweeted out a clarification in which he claimed he wasn’t ripping Morey’s actual words, just his … timing?

Oh yes, of course, if Morey waits a week, then James and the NBA are allowed to fully market themselves to those millions of Chinese fans without rebuke or reprisal. If Morey waits a week, the Lakers and Nets can fly in, sell themselves down to their last shoelaces, then fly back home where they would find it easy to support Morey’s tweet with pockets bulging.

So freedom of speech is OK as long as it doesn’t inconvenience anyone?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, he was against what Morey said, he was questioning the timing of it

So it was just something regarding timing that Morey was "misinformed" and "uneducated" about then? Those seem like odd words to use when you're talking about a matter of timing.

edit: sorry for repeating, didn't see that someone already asked this.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s speaking on the principle of the consequences the players faced while being on Chinese soil. That doesn’t translate to him supporting China or him saying Morey is wrong. I guarantee he wouldn’t have a problem with Morey tweeting it if the players were here at home. It’s a reason why there were plenty of reports that the players felt uncomfortable being out there.

Lebron just stayed quiet but people are trying to change the narrative like he supports China.
Dude, are you reading the same statements that I am?

Are you skipping every other line?

He said Morey was uneducated and misinformed.

Morey said: "Fight for freedom, stand with Hong Kong"

What exactly was he uneducated about?

He didn't ask a question, he expressed a sentiment.

But, if you are still confused on why he's a hypocrite, allow me to enlighten you:

LeBron's Morey Statement:

"I think when an issue comes up, if you feel passionate about it or you feel like there's something you wanna talk about, then so be it. I also don't think that every issue should be everybody's problem as well. When things come up, there's multiple things that we haven't talked about that happen in our own country that we don't bring up."

LeBron's MLK tweet

LeBron's statement on Morey

Sometimes social media is not a proper way to go about things as well. That’s just my belief."

LeBron's Trump tweet

LeBron's Morey Statement

"I don't want to get into a word or sentence feud with Daryl Morey but I believe he wasn't educated on the situation at hand, and he spoke. And, so many people could have been harmed, not only financially but physically, emotionally, spiritually. So, just be careful what we tweet and what we say, and what we do. Even though yes, we do have freedom of speech, but there can be a lot of negative that comes with that too."

LeBron's statement on Kapernick right to peaceful protest

LeBron on protests: I'm all in favor of anyone being able to express what they believe in in a peaceful manner."

“I stand with Kap. I kneel with Kap. I feel like what he was talking about nobody wanted to listen to. Nobody wanted to really understand where he was coming from.”

“Anybody that would sacrifice their livelihood for the better of all of us, I can respect that. And he’s done that,” James said of Kaepernick while speaking to reporters in Charlotte, N.C., for the NBA All-Star Weekend.

“In the NFL they just got a bunch of old, white men owning teams and they got that slave mentality," James said on HBO's "The Shop" at the time. “And it’s like, ‘This is my team. You do what the f--- I tell y’all to do, or we get rid of y’all.’”

Finally, this didn't age well.

"It lets me know that everything I've been saying is correct for her to have that type of reaction," James said. "But we will definitely not shut up and dribble. I will definitely not do that. I mean too much to society, I mean too much to the youth, I mean too much to so many kids that feel like they don't have a way out and they need someone to help lead them out of the situation they're in."

"We know it's bigger than us. It's not about us," James said. "I'm going to continue to do what I have to do to play this game that I love to play, but this is bigger than me playing the game of basketball."

Yeah, yeah....no hypocrisy here.

:noidea:

There is no splainin this cockup away.

Your boy is counting on those Space Jam receipts from China.

Why on Earth would he be a decent human being when he could be a hypocritical, capitalist?

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Column: For LeBron James, injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere … except in China

For LeBron James, injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere … except in China

The tweet from LeBron James was powerful, poignant and seemingly beyond all debate.

“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere,” he wrote on Jan. 15, 2018, quoting Martin Luther King Jr. on his holiday. “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”

In tapping his inner mercenary, James revealed that even the sports world’s leading social equality warrior has his limits.

Sure, he said, injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere … except in China, because that’s where he sells truckloads of jerseys and shoes.

Fine, he said, our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter … except if those things can stop those checks flowing in from China, in which case, shut up!

“So many people could have been harmed not only financially, physically, emotionally, spiritually,” James said of the tweet’s effect. “Yes, we do have freedom of speech, but there can be a lot of negative that comes with that, too.”

Note that in his list of “harms,” James begins with “financially.”

Also note the idea of him bowing at the altar of the almighty Chinese yuan by saying freedom of speech can “be a lot of negative.”

This is the same LeBron James who in recent years has become a national icon by freely speaking out against everything from racial inequality to police violence to racist remarks by President Trump? This is the same social leader who drew nationwide support when his free speech led an ignorant TV host to admonish him to “shut up and dribble?”

Doesn’t it seem like James just told Daryl Morey to shut up and run a basketball team?

The gross hypocrisy of James’ spoken comments Monday caused such a social media stir, he later tweeted out a clarification in which he claimed he wasn’t ripping Morey’s actual words, just his … timing?

Oh yes, of course, if Morey waits a week, then James and the NBA are allowed to fully market themselves to those millions of Chinese fans without rebuke or reprisal. If Morey waits a week, the Lakers and Nets can fly in, sell themselves down to their last shoelaces, then fly back home where they would find it easy to support Morey’s tweet with pockets bulging.

So freedom of speech is OK as long as it doesn’t inconvenience anyone?
You can't even spin this to look any other way.

Ffs...

Had I seen your post, I wouldn't have wrote a book.

Could have just went with ditto....lol

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has Michael Jordan spoken out on the China/Hong Kong issue yet?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“Lebron is a hypocrite” says everybody who had no problem with the NBA doing business with China but now is sooooooo concern about Hong Kong.

I'm gonna lay this out real simple for you.

Lebron speaks out on issues. If the potential ramifications from his speech possibly affects someone else's money, Lebron doesn't care really care. He's speaking out on issues that need to be addressed.

Someone else speaks out on issues. If the potential ramifications of that speech possibly affects Lebron's money, then that person should have shut up and thought before they spoke because it affects other people (other people really just meaning Lebron).

That is what makes him a hypocrite

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all agree no comment was the right call. But he would then have been ripped for it, unfairly

He would’ve been ripped then it would’ve been forgotten the next day or two. All the heat was on Silver. Players came to China’s aid instead of just being called a hypocrite for a few days then back to business as usual. Now James just looks like a complete jackass for kneeling at and kissing the feet of his new masters in China.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would’ve been ripped then it would’ve been forgotten the next day or two. All the heat was on Silver. Players came to China’s aid instead of just being called a hypocrite for a few days then back to business as usual. Now James just looks like a complete jackass for kneeling at and kissing the feet of his new masters in China.

I completely agree he's full jackass here. But I think for somewhat different reasons.

Totally agree with your comment.

I will say this: there is no greater drama than LeBron in the NBA, and it's been that way a long time. He's the modern MJ in this as much as anything. In the 90s it was all MJ all the time. Now guess who?

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna lay this out real simple for you.

Lebron speaks out on issues. If the potential ramifications from his speech possibly affects someone else's money, Lebron doesn't care really care. He's speaking out on issues that need to be addressed.

Someone else speaks out on issues. If the potential ramifications of that speech possibly affects Lebron's money, then that person should have shut up and thought before they spoke because it affects other people (other people really just meaning Lebron).

That is what makes him a hypocrite

Never said he wasn’t a hypocrite. I’m laughing at hypocrites calling him a hypocrite.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, are you reading the same statements that I am?

Are you skipping every other line?

He said Morey was uneducated and misinformed.

Morey said: "Fight for freedom, stand with Hong Kong"

What exactly was he uneducated about?

He didn't ask a question, he expressed a sentiment.

But, if you are still confused on why he's a hypocrite, allow me to enlighten you:

LeBron's Morey Statement:

"I think when an issue comes up, if you feel passionate about it or you feel like there's something you wanna talk about, then so be it. I also don't think that every issue should be everybody's problem as well. When things come up, there's multiple things that we haven't talked about that happen in our own country that we don't bring up."

LeBron's MLK tweet

LeBron's statement on Morey

Sometimes social media is not a proper way to go about things as well. That’s just my belief."

LeBron's Trump tweet

LeBron's Morey Statement

"I don't want to get into a word or sentence feud with Daryl Morey but I believe he wasn't educated on the situation at hand, and he spoke. And, so many people could have been harmed, not only financially but physically, emotionally, spiritually. So, just be careful what we tweet and what we say, and what we do. Even though yes, we do have freedom of speech, but there can be a lot of negative that comes with that too."

LeBron's statement on Kapernick right to peaceful protest

LeBron on protests: I'm all in favor of anyone being able to express what they believe in in a peaceful manner."

“I stand with Kap. I kneel with Kap. I feel like what he was talking about nobody wanted to listen to. Nobody wanted to really understand where he was coming from.”

“Anybody that would sacrifice their livelihood for the better of all of us, I can respect that. And he’s done that,” James said of Kaepernick while speaking to reporters in Charlotte, N.C., for the NBA All-Star Weekend.

“In the NFL they just got a bunch of old, white men owning teams and they got that slave mentality," James said on HBO's "The Shop" at the time. “And it’s like, ‘This is my team. You do what the f--- I tell y’all to do, or we get rid of y’all.’”

Finally, this didn't age well.

"It lets me know that everything I've been saying is correct for her to have that type of reaction," James said. "But we will definitely not shut up and dribble. I will definitely not do that. I mean too much to society, I mean too much to the youth, I mean too much to so many kids that feel like they don't have a way out and they need someone to help lead them out of the situation they're in."

"We know it's bigger than us. It's not about us," James said. "I'm going to continue to do what I have to do to play this game that I love to play, but this is bigger than me playing the game of basketball."

Yeah, yeah....no hypocrisy here.

:noidea:

There is no splainin this cockup away.

Your boy is counting on those Space Jam receipts from China.

Why on Earth would he be a decent human being when he could be a hypocritical, capitalist?

He’s saying that he is misinformed and uneducated about the consequences it can cause. I’ve said that was stupid for Lebron to say. What I’m getting at is the people that is trying to twist this like Lebron is saying that Morey is wrong about the Hong Kong situation and that he supports China.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A storyline in this years nba 2k video gm

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bullshit, he’s a hypocrite for being the way he was with the Kapernick stuff right here in his own country and now saying these things. No matter your thoughts on Kapernick you have to be able to see the massive hypocrisy and how bad he looks.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hong Kong is only a very small part regarding the nefarious dealings of China. A communist government led by a dictator. Wiping clean the massacre of thousands of students and young people at Tienanmen Square. Atrocious speech restrictions. In addition to:

Blatant IP theft of US companies, forced ventures and technology transfers, atrocious human rights records, imprisonment of hundreds of thousands of Christians and Muslims for "re-education", currency manipulation, threatening of Taiwan, militarization of the south china sea, stealing other countries exclusive economic zones such as Vietnam, Philippines, Japan, etc.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s saying that he is misinformed and uneducated about the consequences it can cause. I’ve said that was stupid for Lebron to say. What I’m getting at is the people that is trying to twist this like Lebron is saying that Morey is wrong about the Hong Kong situation and that he supports China.
What I am getting at is that you are wrong.

That's not what he's saying at all.

You are trying to spin this so he can keep his white hat.

He can't.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not arguing LeBrons recent tweets and comments aren't stupid, they are. I'm arguing the hypocrisy accusation. When someone here tells me how they are helping Hong Kong, then they can rip him for that.

Why does someone have to be actively doing something for Hong Kong in order to point out Lebron and the NBA's hypocrisy?