• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Darrell Bevell

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, the last couple of years people have complained all over the place about Bevell's lack of creativity, predictability, and overall bad play calling at times (myself included).

It's just one game, but how do you grade him so far now?

Saw multiple formations I haven't ever seen them run before or at least very rarely. Now I will admit they still ran mostly out of the I or some form of it, and those bunch, or other WR heavy sets were mostly passing or sweeps. Still they had the best balance of running and passing we have seen in some time and weren't entirely predictable on first and second downs.

The option pass play was already attributed to Carroll who pushed for that play all summer, so outside of that, what's your take on Bevell's calls last night?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, the last couple of years people have complained all over the place about Bevell's lack of creativity, predictability, and overall bad play calling at times (myself included).

Saw multiple formations I haven't ever seen them run before or at least very rarely. Now I will admit they still ran mostly out of the I or some form of it, and those bunch, or other WR heavy sets were mostly passing or sweeps. Still they had the best balance of running and passing we have seen in some time and weren't entirely predictable on first and second downs.

The option pass play was already attributed to Carroll who pushed for that play all summer, so outside of that, what's your take on Bevell's calls last night?

I was never a Bevell hater or a Bevell admirer. I think he is a fine OC and will be landing a HC job next year, I am sure the Seahawks already have a guy in mind to replace him and I'm OK with that.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's had some interesting games in terms of playcalling in his time here and there have been times when he's been determined to run certain plays until they netted positive results, sometimes to the detriment of the offense, but then I remember how open he is to trying different things and I see the potential he has as a play-caller when given the opportunity. If he goes to a team with a talented group of offensive players, they're gonna light up the scoreboard.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Bevell moves on, I'll pack his bags and hold open the door. Won't be sorry to see him go at all.

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had a very young team where the offense was scaled back, and we had execution problems. As time slowly went by the players got that valuable experience and the playbook was slowly getting opened. We are still growing and as we do, the playbook will continue to expand. It is all part of the process of getting to where we are now. Bevel, Carroll and many other position coaches have done a spectacular job building, developing this offense and we are just now starting to enter our prime. This stuff just takes time, and many times fans don't show the patience needed.

Wedgie

My 8yr old me would love 59yo me.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has better options now, especially with Harvin in there, and Russel maturing into the position, IMO.

Also, am sure he is growing as a talent as he gets more time in position.

I for one, am not going to question his play calling anymore, hes grown a lot since 2012 season. Do I expect to see some things called that make me shake my head? Probably, but its a bit easy for me to play captain hindsight.
I hope i just trust that he's doing the best he can, and his best is very good, and getting better.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had a very young team where the offense was scaled back, and we had execution problems. As time slowly went by the players got that valuable experience and the playbook was slowly getting opened. We are still growing and as we do, the playbook will continue to expand. It is all part of the process of getting to where we are now. Bevel, Carroll and many other position coaches have done a spectacular job building, developing this offense and we are just now starting to enter our prime. This stuff just takes time, and many times fans don't show the patience needed.

:agree:

I was one of those calling for Bevel's head a couple years ago. However, think about it......

would have anyone wanted Wilson to attempt to do what he's doing now in his first season? The whole organization did the right thing by handcuffing Wilson that first year. Last season, he was given more freedom but people like me were frustrated by the "predictable" play calling. That's funny considering that we eventually won the S.B. This season, it looks like our QB has finally been given the keys to run this offense.

If Bevel leaves next season, I think the foundation is solid enough that the team will do fine. If he stays, the better for us.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a future HC. Those that don't like him will get their wish soon because he won't be here long. He called a great game yesterday, especially the play to Lockette... That was spectacular!

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was one of the many who absolutely hated Bevell's playing calling in Wilson's rookie season and the beginning of last season. But right around the MNF game against NO last year he started calling great plays and I really have nothing bad to say about him since then. He called a great game last night.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I actually noticed them having the most success running the ball out of the shotgun formation. Seemed like the zone blocking scheme along with the read option left some huge holes open for Beast Mode Also helped that Carpenter was really on his game.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People have been hard on Bevell for being too committed to the run and predictable with his play calling. But those choices have helped Wilson develop in to the QB that he is. Oh, and they also won a ton of football games and a ring while developing him.

dumbrabbit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think all it really took was maturation from the young players. A few years ago when they were still young, as it has been said, they had execution problems. This happens to young players, they're eager to show what they can do, and they fail as a result. As they grow and learn the game more, they start to become calm and learn how to execute better, with all the players grown now, we'll really see the kind of Coordinator Bevell can become this year.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People have been hard on Bevell for being too committed to the run and predictable with his play calling. But those choices have helped Wilson develop in to the QB that he is. Oh, and they also won a ton of football games and a ring while developing him.

I always felt the predictable, safe play calling, when Wilson first became QB came straight from Pete. Bevell was the one who took the heat for it. Nice to see him get some love now.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the turning point for me was when we finally implemented the quick slant passes on 3rd down. I had been yelling at the tv for so long about how 3rd and 7 would be perfect for a quick slant to Tate or Baldwin (since Harvin was hurt or before his time) but instead we'd hand it to Lynch, which was too predictable.

Since that play started being used regularly, the offense has really opened up. Tate was great at it, but Percy should be even better.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My problem with him really started with the Cards game in AZ where it was goal line and instead of giving lynch a chance he kept throwing it. Even lynch thought it was crazy gave him the bird, he did the same thing again I think TB where Wilson gets an INT. Than finally the large amount of bubble screens this team throws, it felt like last year those maybe hit one every eight times. That and I've never been a fan of bubble screens.

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to hate him and probably will again before the season ends, but he has been getting results.

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My problem with him really started with the Cards game in AZ where it was goal line and instead of giving lynch a chance he kept throwing it. Even lynch thought it was crazy gave him the bird, .

And Pete said that was his call, maybe you are getting mad at the wrong person

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bevell has made some quirky calls over the years, but I've always thought since Wilson arrived, he's tailored this offense perfectly to his strengths. Call me crazy, but I would be more upset over losing him, than Quinn.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bevell has made some quirky calls over the years, but I've always thought since Wilson arrived, he's tailored this offense perfectly to his strengths. Call me crazy, but I would be more upset over losing him, than Quinn.
Not crazy at all. Pete is a defensive coach so the top of the ladder is a defensive mindset. Pete's not going anywhere so IMO DCord is more expendable than OCord because we don't have as strong of a peak there. Bevell is probably the top of the totem pole offensively.

Now, Bevell's probably as good as gone this offseason so it's time for Schneider to start the search for our next OC who needs to come in and not miss a beat. He should be someone who has seen the progression this team has made the last few years, knows its strengths, weaknesses, and tendencies in all situations.