• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Damn, the Eagles are hemorrhaging coaches

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as they realize they need to get that running game back in play to offset the passing, 2017 season was a great running game and they haven't had that the last two seasons.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing really changes ... Groh was an OC only in name ... he was really the "passing game coordinator" which is what Press will bump up to. Doug ultimately calls the Offense.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
End of the day its Doug's call and if he feels comfortable with the guys they hired to do what he needs then more props to him.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles are a bit unconventional because the play-call duties are run thorough the Head Coach... most teams have an OC who organizes/designs the offense, then call the plays. But there's not too many established "name" coaches who would want to come to Philly and not get the opportunity to call the plays.

From what I've read on Scangarello, his strengths lie in planning/designing offensive concepts; where he struggled last year with Denver was being a play caller, where he doesn't have much experience. If you liked what Kyle Shanahan did with the 49ers this year, he will bring some similar ideas to the table in the run and pass game. He will essentially be the "lead hand" on the offensive staff to relay the input from the other position coaches during the week who contribute to the game plan, in addition to his own input, then sets the table for Doug to use what he wants to script a plan to call for the games. Basically what Reich/Groh did when they were here.

Breiner was brought in from the college ranks to add some college concepts that Doug seems to like and/or wants incorporated into his offense to show some different looks.

I also really liked the idea to bring in Barwin, Celek and Sproles in hybrid roles who will provide a player perspective in the evaluation room, then be able to go and mentor on the field as coaches during game week.

It goes back to what Lurie always preaches about collaboration in the organization, and not only on offense, but Schwartz's staff also has a lot of moving parts with different assistants and run game/pass game coordinators/analysts... it is truly set up to be a collaborative effort. So, not conventional, but as long as it works and results in more wins, that's all that matters. We'll see how it all shakes out.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles are a bit unconventional because the play-call duties are run thorough the Head Coach... most teams have an OC who organizes/designs the offense, then call the plays. But there's not too many established "name" coaches who would want to come to Philly and not get the opportunity to call the plays.

From what I've read on Scangarello, his strengths lie in planning/designing offensive concepts; where he struggled last year with Denver was being a play caller, where he doesn't have much experience. If you liked what Kyle Shanahan did with the 49ers this year, he will bring some similar ideas to the table in the run and pass game. He will essentially be the "lead hand" on the offensive staff to relay the input from the other position coaches during the week who contribute to the game plan, in addition to his own input, then sets the table for Doug to use what he wants to script a plan to call for the games. Basically what Reich/Groh did when they were here.

Breiner was brought in from the college ranks to add some college concepts that Doug seems to like and/or wants incorporated into his offense to show some different looks.

I also really liked the idea to bring in Barwin, Celek and Sproles in hybrid roles who will provide a player perspective in the evaluation room, then be able to go and mentor on the field as coaches during game week.

It goes back to what Lurie always preaches about collaboration in the organization, and not only on offense, but Schwartz's staff also has a lot of moving parts with different assistants and run game/pass game coordinators/analysts... it is truly set up to be a collaborative effort. So, not conventional, but as long as it works and results in more wins, that's all that matters. We'll see how it all shakes out.

This is well said. I’ve been spending the last few days turning this all around in my mind...and I’ve formed the same view. As underwhelming as Scangerello and Breiner feel, the feeling is driven by the experience they have, and not what they will he asked to come do here. Scangerello sucked at running the offense and calling the plays. He won’t have to do that. Breiner might only be from college, but more innovative teams are taking from the college game. For Christ sakes, KC just rolled out a play from a 40s era Notre Dame team in the SB.

There are many ways this could go wrong. But if we hired a traditional OC there could still be many ways this could go wrong. Let them run this the way the org likes to run and see how it goes.

Thinking about this more I’m sure they wanted Urban and Harrell in the same roles as Scangerello and Breiner. Those guys were not interested in that. So many of us thought there were serious credibility problems with this organization. That wasn’t it. It just wasn’t the conventional fit those guys were looking for.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone feel that Lurie and Howie still find it hard to move on from known faces; Barwin, Sproles and Celek? It’s a point that we have discussed here at home.
If Peters returns this point becomes valid.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone feel that Lurie and Howie still find it hard to move on from known faces; Barwin, Sproles and Celek? It’s a point that we have discussed here at home.

He wont, they aren't that foolish to give out that kind of money to aged, injury pron vet anymore!
Plus you got a first round replacement on the roster.

Howie has come out and said it already, they need to get younger and faster, I got a feeling he wasn't blowing smoke this time. I think he understands the past mistakes.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing not being talked about on here is the medical shake up they did last week.
I think that was a huge must after all of the injuries that took place last season.

I think it was DJax that was the biggest issue, not having him have the surgery right after it happened the first time was where things started to fall apart.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Slightly confused.....Barwin, Celek and Sproles are coming back as part of the coaching/coaching mentors. Are you saying Peters coming back to play, or to coach?

I have no issue with what mentoring Barwin, Celek and Sproles can bring. And if Peters retires (at whatever point) and comes back to coach that would be awesome!

But no....I dont see them bring Peters back to play at this point.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing not being talked about on here is the medical shake up they did last week.
I think that was a huge must after all of the injuries that took place last season.

I think it was DJax that was the biggest issue, not having him have the surgery right after it happened the first time was where things started to fall apart.

You're right. I think, for me, I have been scared to even mention it. We have rotated medical staff most of the last few years and the problem gets worse. Until I see solid medical support I will just assume that any moves are not making it better. Zero faith at this point.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right. I think, for me, I have been scared to even mention it. We have rotated medical staff most of the last few years and the problem gets worse. Until I see solid medical support I will just assume that any moves are not making it better. Zero faith at this point.

There was an article a while back where the front office had this doctor come in during training camp last summer and he watched and noted things they could work on getting better in certain areas, well with the changes last week it looks like the front office stuck to that comment and fired a few folks....

I need to remember where I read that article at.....

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think if Lurie/Howie had it their way, it would be to bring back Peters in the same role that Barwin and co. are in now, not as a player on the roster.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I forgot to mention that on my long-winded post earlier... very under-the-radar additions that I think were very significant. Bringing in guys with NFL specific experience in an attempt to try and rectify some of the root issues of all these injuries that has crippled this team the past two seasons.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lots of players want to get into coaching once their playing days are over. They normally find jobs with the coaches they were the closest to and get positions like what we see here.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the Eagle sites had a piece this morning saying Duce was interviewing for OC spot down at South Carolina U

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duce isn't going anywhere. If he's going back to SC, I'd imagine it would be as a head coach, not to take a lateral position in college from the pros.