• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dalton to Dallas

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, if this is true, I'd say Dak played lights out and most likely won a championship.
I think he will win 1. Actually, Homer as it sounds, I think he could win 2-3. Dak reminds me of Troy Aikman. Completely different player, but similar in that he is underrated for the intangibles he brings to the table. I think if he were to get that Super Bowl under his belt, Jerry would make any deal with him that he wanted, but it's a major egg on the face for Jerry if he caves now. He will get blasted, if you are gonna give him the money he wants AND the years he wants, why the Hell did you drag this out for a year and cause a little bad blood with your QB? As we sit here May 3rd, I am pretty stunned there is no deal in place. If you had told me that last August, I would have never believed it. I think the Dalton thing is on the one hand just a great backup QB who is a total pro..but also a little warning shot off Dak's bow

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
heh

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good move. Season no doubt over if Rush had to play a large number of games. Dalton is obviously an upgrade at backup QB.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
without thinking long term I would say Dalton would do more with that offense that Dak could

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just KNEW that Mike Florio would post something to stir the pot...

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's probably the single stupidest thing I have ever heard in my life. The Cowboys have the cap space to let Dak play on the tag this season and tag him next year as well. Things will likely get worked out, but if they don't, there is a ZERO percent chance that Jerry would release him. If it came to that Jerry might trade him, but he is never gonna just let him walk

Sir Robin Of Camelot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's probably the single stupidest thing I have ever heard in my life. The Cowboys have the cap space to let Dak play on the tag this season and tag him next year as well. Things will likely get worked out, but if they don't, there is a ZERO percent chance that Jerry would release him. If it came to that Jerry might trade him, but he is never gonna just let him walk

How Mike Florio continues to maintain a job on NBC defies logic to me. He’s notorious for this garbage. I can’t say it’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard him say but that’s because he’s constantly saying incredibly stupid shit.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I think the years is something Dak is gonna have to get past if he wants to stay here long term, I really do. It's a big deal. The Cowboys don't mind doing those huge QB deals, but they like to extend them every few years and use them as ways to create cap space while keeping the QB from hitting the open market again. And after seeing the hard line Dak has taken this time around, I'm sure they realize he will be wanting $45-50 million in 4 years if he is an UFA and will take it to the franchise tag again.
I think the Cowboys absolutely love Dak to death and want him as their QB for the next 10 years, but I think signing Dalton is their way of saying sign the five year deal by the time the season starts or we'll roll with Dalton and the two #1's we will get from whoever we trade you to
I don't think it is just the difference between 4 or 5 years that is holding up the deal like is being reported in some places and has seemingly become an internet fact. I think there is more to it than that. As we always say when a contract is first reported we need to wait for the details. The details took Amari Cooper's contract from one that was bad for the team to one that was fantastic for the team IMO. I suspect it also has to do with guaranteed money and probably other things as well in Dak's case. For example (in a made up scenario) let's assume the team is offering $35M per and $115M guaranteed on a 5 year deal. Dak says OK to all of those numbers but says we only want it for 4 years. So the Cowboys say on 4 years it's only $90M guaranteed and Dak's side says no. There also could be hangups on fully guaranteed or guaranteed at signing which is a huge difference. Will the contract include an out like Wentz's did? What will the year one salary be vs the year five salary? Is year five $50M and thus Dak knows he could be cut before ever seeing it? When they say agree in principle I suspect it doesn't include all of these things and these things are likely harder sometimes than just agreeing on $33-35M per year.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I followed him when he played at TCU. He's a Texas boy and will be a good fit at backup QB. This should be a great season for the Cowboys and I can hardly wait for the season to start.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

uggghhh...I didn't read the article but I'll assume it sounds as dumb as the headline. As dumb as that logic is, maybe this whole scenario gets Dak worried just a tiny bit and that pushes him to agree to a contract? The only way this team pulls the tag would be if McCarthy walked through the door and said Dak isn't the QB of the future and he isn't worth this money and we all know this could not have been the case because if it was the Cowboys had no guarantee months ago that Dalton would be released and if the plan was to move on without Dak they would have jumped earlier in FA or earlier in the draft. This signing is insurance against Dak not showing up or getting hurt. Nothing more.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This signing is insurance against Dak not showing up or getting hurt. Nothing more.

As someone correctly tweeted earlier, Andy Dalton to Dak equals Kyle Orton to Romo. Reading anything into it beyond that is silly and the equivalent of tossing shit at the wall.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
source.gif

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good move.

The NFL is valuing QBs on their first contract more than ever before. Paying a QB1 over 25 million a year really limits the owners ability to put a team around them.

I like Stafford as a QB but not at his price. Not when you have the Mahomes, Wentzs, and Tannehill on either first contracts or bargain contracts.

I think Dax at 25 plus will limit who the Cowboys can extend and who they can go out and get as FA. So, Dalton applies some pressure to get Dax to take a reasonable contract. Or he is a bridge to a first round selection if Jerry lets him walk. Very good move.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it is just the difference between 4 or 5 years that is holding up the deal like is being reported in some places and has seemingly become an internet fact. I think there is more to it than that. As we always say when a contract is first reported we need to wait for the details. The details took Amari Cooper's contract from one that was bad for the team to one that was fantastic for the team IMO. I suspect it also has to do with guaranteed money and probably other things as well in Dak's case. For example (in a made up scenario) let's assume the team is offering $35M per and $115M guaranteed on a 5 year deal. Dak says OK to all of those numbers but says we only want it for 4 years. So the Cowboys say on 4 years it's only $90M guaranteed and Dak's side says no. There also could be hangups on fully guaranteed or guaranteed at signing which is a huge difference. Will the contract include an out like Wentz's did? What will the year one salary be vs the year five salary? Is year five $50M and thus Dak knows he could be cut before ever seeing it? When they say agree in principle I suspect it doesn't include all of these things and these things are likely harder sometimes than just agreeing on $33-35M per year.
I believe there are percentage rules keeping teams from over stacking the final year, but if the contract has 50M in year 5, I can see Dak complaining however if year 5 looks to be a must cut for cap purposes then Dak should just sign, as it gives him his 4 year deal he wants.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Dak ain't gonna get a $30 Million contract.

Cowboys are not going to be bullied into overpaying someone whose won 1 playoff game.