• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dallas Cowboys Grade Thread - Lost Bet

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So can't remember who I bet, but the bet was if the Ravens made the playoffs the loser had to done a Seahawks related avatar and do analysis on all draft picks. It doesn't need to be nut hugging or A+ grades but objective analysis.

That said, here to honor my loss.

Ezekiel Elliott, D+/C-.

I understand this pick. Cowboys are in win now mode with Tony Romo and a pair of fresh legs with receiving capability for Romo makes sense. Behind the Cowboys O-Line Elliott should be able to hit holes and exploit defenses. Runningbacks are generally a very plug and play position so Elliott should be an immediate starter with some impact.

That said, with Romo returning and the behemoth that is Dallas' O-Line, was this really needed? 2017 is a loaded class so I'm not sure it makes sense why you'd pass on Jack or Ramsey which both fill positions of DESPERATE need. Elliott fills a need but not a critical one. Dallas' rushing game was till top 10 in the NFL last year, it was the pass game and injury of Romo that crippled the offense.

Meanwhile, Dallas still sports a mediocre defense that needs serious help in the pass rushing department (departure of Hardy and Gregory suspension), secondary, and even linebacker. It all could use bolstering and the Dallas Cowboys have little threats defensively outside of Lee (who has an injury history) and McClain (complete wild card). I feel the Boys with that clock ticking were targeting Bosa and get caught off guard with the Chargers' pick and went for 2nd best board.

Elliott feels like a SLIGHT luxury pick. I think the team had bigger needs on defense. I'd probably lean towards the C- grade, hence the bold.

Will also be commenting as part of the bet on all other picks. Again, don't all have to be Bs and As. I disagree with the Cowboys pick. Think it could've been far better used.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So can't remember who I bet, but the bet was if the Ravens made the playoffs the loser had to done a Seahawks related avatar and do analysis on all draft picks. It doesn't need to be nut hugging or A+ grades but objective analysis.

Ezekiel Elliott, D+/C-.

I understand this pick. Cowboys are in win now mode with Tony Romo and a pair of fresh legs with receiving capability for Romo makes sense. Behind the Cowboys O-Line Elliott should be able to hit holes and exploit defenses. Runningbacks are generally a very plug and play position so Elliott should be an immediate starter with some impact.

That said, with Romo returning and the behemoth that is Dallas' O-Line, was this really needed? 2017 is a loaded class so I'm not sure it makes sense why you'd pass on Jack or Ramsey which both fill positions of DESPERATE need. Elliott fills a need but not a critical one. Dallas' rushing game was till top 10 in the NFL last year, it was the pass game and injury of Romo that crippled the offense.

Meanwhile, Dallas still sports a mediocre defense that needs serious help in the pass rushing department (departure of Hardy and Gregory suspension), secondary, and even linebacker. It all could use bolstering and the Dallas Cowboys have little threats defensively outside of Lee (who has an injury history) and McClain (complete wild card). I feel the Boys with that clock ticking were targeting Bosa and get caught off guard with the Chargers' pick and went for 2nd best board.

Elliott feels like a SLIGHT luxury pick. I think the team had bigger needs on defense. I'd probably lean towards the C- grade, hence the bold.

Will also be commenting as part of the bet on all other picks. Again, don't all have to be Bs and As. I disagree with the Cowboys pick. Think it could've been far better used.

opinion noted we will c how the rest goes

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
opinion noted we will c how the rest goes

Yep, lots of draft to go. Again, Dallas plays in a weak division and IMO are the favorites to take it this year. I get the Skins are 'improved' but I still think Dallas has the offense and perhaps ENOUGH defense pending the mid round selections to make it work.

Elliott is an immediately plug and play. My grade is more a knock on the value and potential for future building, but again.. if you can win now do it. That said, I don't see the Cowboys going deep in the playoffs. Gurley was probably a #3-5 overall pick without the injury and a better RB PROSPECT (not saying he will be better) than Elliott...

But 2016 is also a weaker draft class.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, lots of draft to go. Again, Dallas plays in a weak division and IMO are the favorites to take it this year. I get the Skins are 'improved' but I still think Dallas has the offense and perhaps ENOUGH defense pending the mid round selections to make it work.

Elliott is an immediately plug and play. My grade is more a knock on the value and potential for future building, but again.. if you can win now do it. That said, I don't see the Cowboys going deep in the playoffs. Gurley was probably a #3-5 overall pick without the injury and a better RB PROSPECT (not saying he will be better) than Elliott...

But 2016 is also a weaker draft class.

If Elliott can live up to the Dallas RB legacy Dallas Fans will be really happy Dallas Haters will be pizzed or vice versa if it does not work out

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to believe this is a really weak class. These guys on ESpN have a question about every pick. Tunsill just off the field.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Elliott D+ and Jack would have been an A??? Well put me down as a Hell of a lot happier with our D+ than Jack and your A...imagine if we get Jack in the 2nd? I can guarantee you Elliott wasn't dropping that far

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are getting a lot of Ds. Ha. My only problem with Zeke- will we pay him in 5 yrs. To me a top 5 pick is a career player for your franchise. I know MUrray had some injuries and was older than Zeke will be in 5 yrs, but MUrray had one of the best seasons in Cowboy history, not to mention the chemistry factor. We let him get out of town. Sure contracts of others will be different in 5 yrs and maybe we will have more money.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are getting a lot of Ds. Ha. My only problem with Zeke- will we pay him in 5 yrs. To me a top 5 pick is a career player for your franchise. I know MUrray had some injuries and was older than Zeke will be in 5 yrs, but MUrray had one of the best seasons in Cowboy history, not to mention the chemistry factor. We let him get out of town. Sure contracts of others will be different in 5 yrs and maybe we will have more money.

If he turns out anything along the lines of Adrian Peterson, then yea, we will pay him. Five years is a long time, we will see what happens. He better not fucking be Khijana Carter, that's all I know.

bigdaddytorr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elliot is literally the safest pick in this draft. There's no such thing as a sure thing but Zeke is the closest thing to it in this draft.

Reactions: GNG

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give it an A. It may not be a defensive player, but some of the 1st round picks will be total busts. I think we have the offensive rookie of the year.
I remember the threads last year about trading for Adrian Peterson. When two #1's were mentioned as the cost, no one would have flinched at that cost if he were 25, it was his age that scared most people. If this kid is a 1500 yard back, he deserves an A, and I believe he will be

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will give it a B B+, I can't give it an A because of the need factor, but considering Ramsey and Buckner were there at much higher needs I have to think Elliott was their BPA.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Elliott D+ and Jack would have been an A??? Well put me down as a Hell of a lot happier with our D+ than Jack and your A...imagine if we get Jack in the 2nd? I can guarantee you Elliott wasn't dropping that far

I completely blanked on Jack's knee... well deserved call out from your end.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am giving the pick an A. I will say I am shocked we passed on ramsey a little. Cowboys did not draft some stiff at 4 so don't get all the hate from the media. elliot ranked up at the top by most people. my worst nightmare was my concern that another nfc east team would draft elliot.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jaylon Smith, #34 overall. Linebacker, Notre Dame.

Grade:
B/B+

I am simply blown away. I had Smith pegged as a 4th+ rounder for sure. So much that I bet a Cubs game beer on it with my friend. I never expected Smith to go this early given the injury.

That said, Jaylon Smith is probably the best player in the entire draft. The 2016 draft class is weak, but even if it was strong Smith would still be a top 10 pick without the injury. Smith has a HUGE football IQ and one of the best motors as a linebacker I've seen since Keuchley. There is no off field issues with Smith and he was the sole owner of the defense for Notre Dame.

With two friends from Notre Dame, I watched quite a bit of Smith game film and I can say he's the real deal. Great instincts, hits the hole tremendously and is excellent in coverage. If Smith recovers from his injury the Cowboys have easily stole the draft in terms of the linebacker position. Some people had Jack above Smith prior to injuries but I think those people were insane. Although both play different roles, Smith is the better on field leader and athlete.

This would be an easy A+ (and new ranking: "What drugs did Jerry use on every other teams' war room) if not for the injury concern (obviously). HUGE upside... Actually F it, I'll go B+ grade on this.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't have argued if you gave us a D on this one

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't have argued if you gave us a D on this one

Sometimes gotta take those risks... If Smith recovers Dallas likely has an all pro linebacker. Without the injury risk, wouldn't have been surprised if you guys took him at 4th overall. The early 2nd round pick (when some projected Smith to go day 3) tells me the Boys were targeting him all along throughout the collegiate season and the injury is what prevented the 1st rounder from calling his name.

Given the weakness of the NFC East at the moment, with Romo back/healthy, the Cowboys should be able to compete for the division anyway.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFLN just reported the Pats were about to pick Smith if the Cowboys passed on him

Don't care for the Pats but they do know talent when it comes to football

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ezekiel Elliott, D+/C-.

It's entirely possible that the Cowboys have drafted the most talented offensive player AND the most talented defensive player in the entire draft. A+

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's entirely possible that the Cowboys have drafted the most talented offensive player AND the most talented defensive player in the entire draft. A+
Or it is possible that jerry screwed up. We will see if he finally outsmarted the league for the first time in 20 years.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes gotta take those risks... If Smith recovers Dallas likely has an all pro linebacker. Without the injury risk, wouldn't have been surprised if you guys took him at 4th overall. The early 2nd round pick (when some projected Smith to go day 3) tells me the Boys were targeting him all along throughout the collegiate season and the injury is what prevented the 1st rounder from calling his name.

Given the weakness of the NFC East at the moment, with Romo back/healthy, the Cowboys should be able to compete for the division anyway.
Two issues. IF is a big word, and Dallas needs defensive help in 2016. I don't think we had the luxury to pick Smith.