• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dallas Cowboys Grade Thread - Lost Bet

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two issues. IF is a big word, and Dallas needs defensive help in 2016. I don't think we had the luxury to pick Smith.

I don't think you had the luxury to pick Elliott either, so at least the FO is being consistent.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you had the luxury to pick Elliott either, so at least the FO is being consistent.
I wanted D in the first, but I don't hate the Elliott pick, picking Smith in the 2nd actually down graded the Elliott pick though. I thought we had to get at least one impact D player in the 1st two rounds, we got none.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted D in the first, but I don't hate the Elliott pick, picking Smith in the 2nd actually down graded the Elliott pick though. I thought we had to get at least one impact D player in the 1st two rounds, we got none.

Frustrating as hell

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tapper is another quality pick. Loving this draft

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tapper is another quality pick. Loving this draft

Quick reads on the guy, looks to be a pass play only guy at the moment. Probably will only play on 2nd or 3rd and longs. We'll have to see how he developes

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quick reads on the guy, looks to be a pass play only guy at the moment. Probably will only play on 2nd or 3rd and longs. We'll have to see how he developes
Real solid talent for where they got him. It's much better than the days when we had a 4th round pick and you couldn't find the guy as an UFA for anyone else

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched tapper for 3 years. He is fast and can play the run. He is not a pass only DE.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys 2016 Draft Picks: Scouting Report On Fourth-Rounder DE Charles Tapper

Cowboys 2016 Draft Picks: Scouting Report On Fourth-Rounder DE Charles Tapper
By DannyPhantom@DannyPhantom24 on Apr 30, 2016, 12:00p 81

GettyImages-457161030.0.jpg
Ronald Martinez/Getty Images

A scouting report on the Cowboys third round selection, Oklahoma DE, Charles Tapper.

 TWEET SHARE (180) PIN
With the selection of Charles Tapper, the Cowboys were able to throw another resource at their most pressing need -€” the pass rush. Last year, the Cowboys ranked 25th in the league in sacks with only 31. Not only were the sacks not there, but the defense ranked dead last in turnovers with 11, a feat that hasn't been achieved since the San Diego Chargers did it in 1982.

The Cowboys love defensive linemen that are effective in the pass rush and the running game. Just like Maliek Collins, Tapper can do both well. The end from Oklahoma had seven sacks last year and 10 tackles for losses. He's got great speed as he ran a 4.56, 40-yard dash at the combine. He's got great initial burst which is what Rod Marinelli loves in his edge rushers.

The Cowboys haven't made a splash at the defensive end position this offseason as their only move has been signing free agent Benson Mayowa from the Oakland Raiders. The selection of Tapper gives the team another resource to work into the rotation. He will battle it out with another day-three selection, Ryan Russell, who was taken in the fifth round in last year's draft. Similar to Russell, Tapper wasn't used as well as he could have been in his team's defensive scheme. The Cowboys get another guy who has some upside if used correctly.

And guess who OCC has listed as the most athletic defensive end based on his SPARQ score?

image_22.0.png

Let's see look at some of the reports on Smith:

Lance Zierlein (NFL.com)

STRENGTHS:

Good size and build. Has natural power at the point of attack. Shows some ability to battle and fight for his area of grass. Technique is flawed in many areas, but has some traits. If he ever learns to drop pad level, has effective bull-rush potential. May have the body type to play 3-4 defensive end or 4-3 base end. Has some straight-line speed to close out the quarterback in space. Heavy tackler who can thump runners. Showed some positive flashes late in the season of what he might become. Raw with room to develop.

WEAKNESSES:

Offsets natural power and strength with terrible pad level too often. Offers minimal value as third down player. Plays with very little dynamic movement as a pass rusher and usually just crashes straight ahead with no real plan. Hand usage needs major work. Doesn’t use hands effectively to control the point of attack or to improve his position as a pass rusher. Needs to play square and control gaps when engaged laterally against the run. Instincts and awareness are way off from where they need to be. Slow to see plays developing and can be even slower to disengage from blocks to make tackles near the line of scrimmage.

Dane Bugler (CBS.com)

STRENGTHS:

While perhaps slightly shorter than ideal, Tapper possesses an NFL-ready frame with broad shoulders, disproportionately long arms (34 1/8 inches) and evenly distributed muscle mass.

He flashes enough initial quickness off the snap to force tackles to respect his outside speed and complements it with a powerful bull rush. Extends well off the snap and uses his long arms to generate push with his upper body, displaying nonstop effort to motor through blockers. While there are concerns about his quickness and agility, Tapper shows impressive straight-line speed - both when closing in on the quarterback and in downfield pursuit.

He's likely to test very well for a man of his size in the 40-yard dash, indicating perhaps un-"tapped" potential to be harnessed with better technique. Offers some positional versatility, often lining up in the four-point stance in Oklahoma's scheme and often taking on multiple blockers.

WEAKNESSES:

Isn't the sum of his parts, showing little consistency to his game in part because he remains technically flawed. Too often resorts to simple bull rushes and isn't as effective in this area as he should be due to poor pad level.

Was asked to play mostly contain for the Sooners and offers little creativity as a pass rusher. His compact, muscle-bound frame leaves Tapper with limited flexibility and just average agility, overall, and he struggles to change directions in close spaces to make tackles on his own. Will be viewed by as a 'tweener who lacks a real position in the NFL

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All in all I'm happy with the draft. If Smith heals up he's a steal, not sure why we hot another RB.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All in all I'm happy with the draft. If Smith heals up he's a steal, not sure why we hot another RB.
I saw the RB is a 4.35 guy maybe looking at Dunbar's role? I'm good with the TE too .Redshirt him a year behind a HOFer, one things for sure, you can't teach an athletic 6'8", 275

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw the RB is a 4.35 guy maybe looking at Dunbar's role? I'm good with the TE too .Redshirt him a year behind a HOFer, one things for sure, you can't teach an athletic 6'8", 275
He has not played football since middle school. This is worst then Stanbach. Who knows if he can even catch the ball. If he played football in college and left to play basketball for a year, I could live with that, but has not played since middle school. No other team would have taken him. He won't make the team.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the speed thing, but it's quite possible a good RB is getting cut by Dallas, this kid is better show he is better than DMF and Morris or he's gone. Just watching his hilights I doubt he's snuck onto the PS.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has not played football since middle school. This is worst then Stanbach. Who knows if he can even catch the ball. If he played football in college and left to play basketball for a year, I could live with that, but has not played since middle school. No other team would have taken him. He won't make the team.
He'll at least make the practice squad, bet your lunch money on that

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say practice squad. Assuming we carry a FB again the odds are strongly against another back on the 53 unless he is a key STs guy. With Elliott it's hard to even say Dunbar is assured of a spot unless he gets healthy ASAP or we trade one of the other two