• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Curt Schilling is an ass

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly the shit I’m talking about. It should never enter into the equation. That writer who was dumb enough to say that publicly should have their vote taken away.

I don’t disagree. I was just drawing a line between the quality of his career and the other three.

It’s all they have on schilling

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t disagree with your decision to delineate but I do have a problem with the all time hits leader not being in the Hall of Fame. I would be ok with what @msgkings322 proposed and that would be the veterans committee putting him in posthumously.

The hof is first and foremost a museum

His actions should be documented and acknowledged

But not ignored

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hof is first and foremost a museum

His actions should be documented and acknowledged

But not ignored
Agreed. When he's dead, put him in.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never heard that he threw any games as a manager. And that would be pretty hard for him to do unless the players were complicit.

It was rumored but never confirmed when he was first punished. The question was about him avoid further revelations. Him throwing games as the manager could have been those revelations.

As the manager it would be easy to throw games. You control the lineup, you control what pitcher changes there are during the game.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I knew he bet on the Reds, but never against them. Throwing games would seem to point in that direction.

One way or the other. He deserves to be in as the baseball player with the most hits in the history of the game.

His time as a manager which can't be ignored. Should be fully recorded as well.

If it were up to me. Rose, Bonds, Clemens n Scilling would already be in with their triflin ass0 selves.

And fuck all those sanctimonious writers who have a vote, but are now on their high horse. I don't recall a single writer or MLB exec condemning PEDs when they were saving MLB.

I agree with all four being in. The other difference with Rose was the HOF not MLB kept Rose off the ballot.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was rumored but never confirmed when he was first punished. The question was about him avoid further revelations. Him throwing games as the manager could have been those revelations.

As the manager it would be easy to throw games. You control the lineup, you control what pitcher changes there are during the game.
No way would it be easy to throw games as a manager unless the players were in on it. Think about it. There is so much variance and luck involved in a single baseball game. That's why they play so many of them in a season to see who is best. How many times has a team clinched their division and put in "scrubs" the next day and still won the game? The difference in performance between major leaguers on any given day is not enough for a manager to single handedly control it. Could they make unwise decisions that gave their team a slightly lower chance of winning? Sure. But the only two reasons to throw a game would be a) to make money by betting against your team or b)to make money for some underworld figure who would be betting against your team. But you can't come close to guaranteeing a loss, you can only slightly increase the chances of a loss. Is that something some gambling mobster would be interested in? If someone wants to fix a game they usually want it to be a "sure thing".
Unless he's betting against the Reds I don't buy him personally trying to throw games.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The “revelations” is really just a rumor that there was more damning evidence out there. That has been mentioned in this thread multiple times. But most don’t use THAT as a heavy part of the argument against Rose because they are, just rumors.

But wtf are you talking about “flippety floppedy”? Rose AGREED with the commissioners office to accept the lifetime ban (for whatever reason). The ban was not IMPOSED on him. He ACCEPTED it. That is not in question. That is a fact.

Many believe he should be inducted once that ban has been served. That is a different argument, and I tend avoid that aspect of the debate. But putting him in after he dies removes the “lifetime ban” aspect of the argument.

You may disagree. That is your right. But being flippant with the clearly spelled out, logical take of the opposing side doesnt help anyone.
The flip flop thung was jus t me fuckin with @msgkings322

Its not all that serious homey.

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different circumstances.

Nobody ever accused Pete of throwing a WS.
That's just it, Jackson wasn't found guilty but Landis imposed the ban, "for life ". So when Jackson died, he served his ban and now should be eligible, in other words there is NO reason to hold him out.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's just it, Jackson wasn't found guilty but Landis imposed the ban, "for life ". So when Jackson died, he served his ban and now should be eligible, in other words there is NO reason to hold him out.
I can't wait til I die and finally complete my lifetime ban at that strip club in Louisiana......

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he got paid by organized crime to lose. And they lost. He took the money.

Pretty sure all of the guys who were acquitted, got the boot. As they should’ve.

He’ll never get in imo.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he got paid by organized crime to lose. And they lost. He took the money.

Pretty sure all of the guys who were acquitted, got the boot. As they should’ve.

He’ll never get in imo.
I'm hoping he gets in so my Shoeless Joe autograph will go up in value. I still need to get it authenticated though. See below for a screenshot of it:

X

I guess I'll have to compare it to other known signatures.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bumping for Schill saying the right thing for once.

About not attending the home opener celebrating the 2004 team:
“It’s about the 04 team and Wake, and we all know the media, [The Boston Globe‘s Dan Shaughnessy] in particular, will be writing things that have nothing to do with either of those things, even more were I to attend. Let the focus be on 04 and Wakey and [Stacey]. I’ll forever regret what happened but I cannot in good conscience put my self in a position that would detract from the recognition that team and the Wakefields deserve. FWIW I wrote a letter to all the people whose opinion matters to me, so the people I care about know.”

Dan Shaughnessy is 10X more of an ass than Schilling...

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

“It’s about the 04 team and Wake, and we all know the media, [The Boston Globe‘s Dan Shaughnessy] in particular, will be writing things that have nothing to do with either of those things, even more were I to attend. Let the focus be on 04 and Wakey and [Stacey]. I’ll forever regret what happened but I cannot in good conscience put my self in a position that would detract from the recognition that team and the Wakefields deserve. FWIW I wrote a letter to all the people whose opinion matters to me, so the people I care about know.”

Yup.

Not even close

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Deserved a bump for sure, but I wish it could have been done without highlighting the fact that I've overused that hacky "Joe Jackson is illiterate" joke.