• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course they weren’t “big” moves. But they were our BIGGEST moves. Making a move like that trade was so worthless, it ended up having a negative net effect because 1) it was an insult to the players and fans and 2) any time spent working with Seattle putting it together was a waste of time.

It was a clear non-transaction at the time the trade was made. This is not 20/20 complaining. It was just an attempted distraction of the fact that nothing was actually done.
I guess I don't agree that it was an "attempted distraction." I don't think FZ thinks like that. He was trying to make a marginal improvement with little risk.

But hey, you could be right and he's got me fooled.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I don't agree that it was an "attempted distraction." I don't think FZ thinks like that. He was trying to make a marginal improvement with little risk.

It was this

This was a sellers market.
Some of these prices were wild

And FZ decided the giants weren’t good enough to make major investments like that

They tried to play on the margins and make it as a 5/6 seed

They were a better team than Miami that just had bad luck

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are almost certainly correct, of course. But the trade was a complete waste of of time from the get go.

Truthfully, I suspect FZ was in serious talks with Seattle about other trades (Teoscar??) that didn’t develop, but in the course of those talks, it was determined that Mathias and Pollock were on the trash heap in Sea and FZ thought he might as well take a look at both since they were free.

I just have fun with my hatred of FZ from time to time. :)

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question : the first post (the 40-man) are the (option years) list. option LEFT or options USED?

Could you add the explanation to the bottom of post #1 please?

Thx

PS: I don't see any "+" in the list. Were NO options used this year?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question : the first post (the 40-man) are the (option years) list. option LEFT or options USED?

Could you add the explanation to the bottom of post #1 please?

Thx

PS: I don't see any "+" in the list. Were NO options used this year?
It is remaining options. If you suspect any of the numbers are inaccurate, please point it out.

The numbers are updated going into 2024. All the “+”s have already been processed.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That makes sense - thx

PS - it might be useful to "tag" that it is the final arb year (it is possible to have either 3 or 4 arb-elig years, depending on whether they earned their first arb year during their 2nd or 3rd season) - unless they changed the rules again. I didn't read the latest CBA.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That makes sense - thx

PS - it might be useful to "tag" that it is the final arb year (it is possible to have either 3 or 4 arb-elig years, depending on whether they earned their first arb year during their 2nd or 3rd season) - unless they changed the rules again. I didn't read the latest CBA.
Interesting idea. I will give it some thought.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that some of the options are inaccurate, though. For example, I show Webb as still having an option year available. But seeing as he is now operating on a MLB contract, I SUSPECT that he is no longer eligible for an option.

Can anyone confirm?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that some of the options are inaccurate, though. For example, I show Webb as still having an option year available. But seeing as he is now operating on a MLB contract, I SUSPECT that he is no longer eligible for an option.

Can anyone confirm?
I checked out Logan Webb and here is what I found:
Webb's contract was purchased by the Giants after the 2018 season.
Webb was optioned from spring training in early March 2019. He wasn't recalled until August 2019. First option year used.
The next time Webb was optioned was July 10, 2021. However, he was recalled July 16, 2021. Since this is under the 20 day minimum, this did not count as an option year.
According to the rules for options, a player can be optioned as long as he has under 5 years of service. Fangraphs reports that Web has 3.04 years of service and that he has two more option years remaining.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I checked out Logan Webb and here is what I found:
Webb's contract was purchased by the Giants after the 2018 season.
Webb was optioned from spring training in early March 2019. He wasn't recalled until August 2019. First option year used.
The next time Webb was optioned was July 10, 2021. However, he was recalled July 16, 2021. Since this is under the 20 day minimum, this did not count as an option year.
According to the rules for options, a player can be optioned as long as he has under 5 years of service. Fangraphs reports that Web has 3.04 years of service and that he has two more option years remaining.
So options are only allowed for players with less than 5 years, and whether or not they have an MLB contract is immaterial?

Gotcha.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So options are only allowed for players with less than 5 years, and whether or not they have an MLB contract is immaterial?

Gotcha.
I don't know if a player can put in his contract that he cannot be optioned but from what I've read on the link I gave it seems that Webb could be optioned in each of the 2024 and 2025 seasons if the Giants feel it necessary. Of course, considering his status, I'm sure they'd think long and hard before doing that. I don't think any of us want to see a scenario where that is seriously considered.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some extra details :

- if the player has at least 3 years of MLB service he can refuse the assignment and ask to be released BUT the club does not have to honor any contract. If he accepts the assignment, the club must honor the contract while he is in the minors. I remember a player for the A's about 10 years ago who had just signed his first 'big-ish' contract (over $2m/yr) and just *sucked* the first half of the season. He got optioned and he accepted because he wanted to get paid. Webb now has a tad over 4 years of service time so he won't refuse being optioned in 2024.

- if the player has at least 5 years of MLB service he can refuse the assignment and ask to be released AND the club MUST honor (pay) his contract. However the player may accept anyways - the club and player may cut a deal. I bet Posey would have accepted - he seemed to be "just that kind of guy".

- it is possible (or it used to be) to have 4 option years. Posey, for example could have had 4 (I think he was only optioned once though) . If the player has been optioned in three seasons but does not yet have five full seasons of professional experience. That includes all minor league teams that have at least 90-day seasons, because a full season is "being on an active pro roster for at least 90 days in a season". So short season, rookie leagues, and AFL don't count IF the player spent all their time there. There's also an exception to the "pro season" - if the player was on the DL and spent 30 days or less on an active roster, it doesn't count as "a season".

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Conforto is coming back.

A bit surprising. With the weak class, I thought he might be able to work something bigger.

Ultimately, I am OK with this move. He isn’t a stud by any stretch, but at least he offers some offensive depth. And as mentioned, the offensive FA class is very weak.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bit surprising. With the weak class, I thought he might be able to work something bigger.

Ultimately, I am OK with this move. He isn’t a stud by any stretch, but at least he offers some offensive depth. And as mentioned, the offensive FA class is very weak.
Nah, not worth 18M.

We have league average LH OFs. Don't need him at all. My guess is he'll be traded.