• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pondering Season 9 GIF by The Office
I am guessing the Giants essentially “rented” Ford for a week.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am guessing the Giants essentially “rented” Ford for a week.
Really, for one game. Not sure I understand why he was needed for that one game when they had plenty of FZ's favorites at AAA. I hope the cash was a wash between the two orgs.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of bye bye:

Doobie traded to the Asstros for C/1B Michael Papierski, who will report to AAA Sacramento.
Donovan Walton activated and is in St Louis.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Papierski is not on the 40, so that added to his value, I am sure.

He doesn’t appear to have much of a bat, so I assume he is more of a defense first catcher. My guess is he is now officially the #3 catcher in the org.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Papierski is not on the 40, so that added to his value, I am sure.

He doesn’t appear to have much of a bat, so I assume he is more of a defense first catcher. My guess is he is now officially the #3 catcher in the org.
I think this is a correct read. He's a defensive stalwart.
Interestingly, he's a switch hitter. We don't have any of those on the 40 man

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of bye bye:

Doobie traded to the Asstros for C/1B Michael Papierski, who will report to AAA Sacramento.
Donovan Walton activated and is in St Louis.
Interesting. Feel a bit conflicted about this. On one hand, Dubon was starting to heat up. Why get rid of him now? Well, on the other hand, he was at risk of just being let go before the trade. In light of the Walton/Berroa trade, this one seems a bit underwhelming but okay.
Papierski doesn't look to be much better than the guys that already have catching at AAA but one of them, Cesar Gonzalez, hadn't played above rookie ball prior to this year. Ricardo Genoves, however, has started to hit and is a top prospect in the org. Jhonny Pereda has begun to hit as well. Papierski looks to be Casali light.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. Feel a bit conflicted about this. On one hand, Dubon was starting to heat up. Why get rid of him now? Well, on the other hand, he was at risk of just being let go before the trade. In light of the Walton/Berroa trade, this one seems a bit underwhelming but okay.
Papierski doesn't look to be much better than the guys that already have catching at AAA but one of them, Cesar Gonzalez, hadn't played above rookie ball prior to this year. Ricardo Genoves, however, has started to hit and is a top prospect in the org. Jhonny Pereda has begun to hit as well. Papierski looks to be Casali light.
a couple of thoughts:

1. He was going to be cut when Stars came back anyway; this just allowed us to get value for him.
2. Casali light is a perfect description of Papierski. We don't have a AAAA catcher in the org (unless you consider Bart that) and this fills a need with a guy who is apparently a great catcher and a switch hitter.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a couple of thoughts:

1. He was going to be cut when Stars came back anyway; this just allowed us to get value for him.
2. Casali light is a perfect description of Papierski. We don't have a AAAA catcher in the org (unless you consider Bart that) and this fills a need with a guy who is apparently a great catcher and a switch hitter.
I just read this on MLBTradeRumors:
"He’s also been spending less time behind the plate this year, with 11 games at catcher, nine at first base and six at designated hitter. Last year, it was 64 at catcher and 28 at first. If he continues that trend in his new organization, it will put more pressure on him to produce with the bat since he won’t be providing as much defensive value."

Not sure I buy the "great catcher" tag if the Astros weren't even playing him much at that position this year. His offense doesn't justify playing time at ether 1st base or DH, so why would they not stick him exclusively at catcher (or even mainly at catcher)?

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There probably isn't room on the roster, but Villar is absolutely mashing at Sacramento. He's got 12 homers and 36 RBI in 30 games. He's young (25), plays 3rd and 1st, hitting .318 with an OPS of 1.132. Someone to keep an eye on. He has hit at every level. He does strike out a bit, and his walk rate is improving.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There probably isn't room on the roster, but Villar is absolutely mashing at Sacramento. He's got 12 homers and 36 RBI in 30 games. He's young (25), plays 3rd and 1st, hitting .318 with an OPS of 1.132. Someone to keep an eye on. He has hit at every level. He does strike out a bit, and his walk rate is improving.
He is one reason I am so puzzled at the amount of infielders FZ is trying to stash away in AAA. The guy can hit. They need to make room for in SF at some point. I hope he replaces Longoria (the guy is way too injury prone, probably more so than Belt, but its close).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd expect he'll be a part of the 22 giants at some point.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is why the Giants opened up a 40 man roster spot.

And what is up with constant exchange of players between the Giants and Mariners? FYI, the Mariners claimed Fairchild off waivers from the D-Backs earlier this season. They didn't need to trade anyone to get him.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder why Fairchild has already become roster churn bait. He was the Reds 2nd round pick in 2017 but the Giants will be his 4th organization (3rd this season). He was the prospect the D-Backs got in the Archie Bradley trade and generally hit well in the minors when healthy. He's only gotten 18 ABs in the big leagues so he's hardly had time to show anything. He's got the pedigree to not be bouncing around like this.

On the flip side, the Giants have a bunch of outfielders in AAA hitting well (and a top prospect who is NOT hitting well), so there is hardly a need. Oh well, let's see what Fairchild can do. Blandino wasn't going to do much with the Giants (he was doing poorly in AAA this year).

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is a correct read. He's a defensive stalwart.
Interestingly, he's a switch hitter. We don't have any of those on the 40 man
Other than the ones who switch from hitting to NOT hitting, no.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can he play catcher...?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is why the Giants opened up a 40 man roster spot.

And what is up with constant exchange of players between the Giants and Mariners? FYI, the Mariners claimed Fairchild off waivers from the D-Backs earlier this season. They didn't need to trade anyone to get him.
And we picked up Blandino as a minor league FA. We didn’t have to trade anyone to get him.