• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saving money helps. Especially, when doing otherwise doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Had the trade been a straight Cozart and Wilson for say, a C- grade prospect, I would have been much more okay with it. Considering FZ finagled a prospect from Atlanta and them taking on the rest of Melancon's contract, this trade really lacks.

But it DOES make sense to buy Wilson. It was the best use of those funds. So your beef is that they gave up too good a prospect.

I understand.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the Giants are easily ducking the luxury tax, why should we care how much they spend?
Signing guys for the sake of signing steals playing time from others. There are a few outfielders, a couple of infielders and a catcher whom I'd like to see get a chance in 2020. Pitching may be a little different (warming up to the Gausman signing). Overall, though, picking up mediocre players for the sake of spending money reminds me too much of previous regimes short sighted moves before they built better teams. If the Cozart deal seemed like better value, I'd not complain. If more moves are made to improve the team's long term outlook, I'll be willing to see that this is a good start.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it DOES make sense to buy Wilson. It was the best use of those funds. So your beef is that they gave up too good a prospect.

I understand.
Yes, if it was a straight Cozart's salary (and even if a lesser prospect was included) for Wilson, I would think it was a much more fair move.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signing guys for the sake of signing steals playing time from others. There are a few outfielders, a couple of infielders and a catcher whom I'd like to see get a chance in 2020. Pitching may be a little different (warming up to the Gausman signing). Overall, though, picking up mediocre players for the sake of spending money reminds me too much of previous regimes short sighted moves before they built better teams. If the Cozart deal seemed like better value, I'd not complain. If more moves are made to improve the team's long term outlook, I'll be willing to see that this is a good start.

I doubt Cozart remains on the roster so you don't have to worry about him taking time away.

There are a lot of AB's to go around, though, so I generally don't worry about playing time. Guys who are producing will play, I think it's as simple as that with this regime.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cozart DFA’d
Jake Jewell claimed from the Angels

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yippy, we get Drew Smyly for the rotation (how is he better than the internal candidates?).

Trevor Oaks dfa'd to make room.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only have 39 on the 40-man. Am I missing someone?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only have 39 on the 40-man. Am I missing someone?
Looks like you are missing Abiatal Avelino. He didn't come up last September but is still on the 40-man.
Also, Zack Cozart was put on release waivers, essentially making him a free agent. And Fernando Abad and Mike Gerber have signed elsewhere. The Giants re-signed Rico Garcia to a minor league deal. Only Sandoval and Pillar are left on the open market from your free agent list.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like you are missing Abiatal Avelino. He didn't come up last September but is still on the 40-man.
Also, Zack Cozart was put on release waivers, essentially making him a free agent. And Fernando Abad and Mike Gerber have signed elsewhere. The Giants re-signed Rico Garcia to a minor league deal. Only Sandoval and Pillar are left on the open market from your free agent list.
:yo:

That is it. Not sure how he got lost...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yippy, we get Drew Smyly for the rotation (how is he better than the internal candidates?).

Trevor Oaks dfa'd to make room.

He was steamy poop last year, but for a team like the Giants I don't mind it. His arm certainly doesn't have a lot of miles on it for his age.... although typically because of catastrophic injuries. Maybe he can bounce back

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was steamy poop last year, but for a team like the Giants I don't mind it. His arm certainly doesn't have a lot of miles on it for his age.... although typically because of catastrophic injuries. Maybe he can bounce back
This. 4M for a high potential dumpster dive. All goes well, we flip him at the deadline for a couple B prospects.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. 4M for a high potential dumpster dive. All goes well, we flip him at the deadline for a couple B prospects.
At some point, though, in order to actually build the team's future, you give a couple of chances to younger guys and stop filling in with veteran retreads, in hopes of flipping them for some middling prospects that may possibly have a chance in the big leagues. I like prospects, and I like smart moves in getting them, but the whole "sign guys in hopes they may somehow possibly relive enough of their glory days or fulfill some of the longstanding potential in such a way that another teams feels it will continue and give us prospects in July for them" method is somewhat tired. I'd be curious how often that fails and if the failure rate is greater or lesser than letting internal prospects get a chance.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At some point, though, in order to actually build the team's future, you give a couple of chances to younger guys and stop filling in with veteran retreads, in hopes of flipping them for some middling prospects that may possibly have a chance in the big leagues. I like prospects, and I like smart moves in getting them, but the whole "sign guys in hopes they may somehow possibly relive enough of their glory days or fulfill some of the longstanding potential in such a way that another teams feels it will continue and give us prospects in July for them" method is somewhat tired. I'd be curious how often that fails and if the failure rate is greater or lesser than letting internal prospects get a chance.

Look at the Warriors.... season shot before it started due to injuries so prospects are getting extensive playing time. There will be both ballers that make the roster and increased trade value for those that won't fit into the long term plans.

No star power, last place record yet fans are starting to fill the stands as the play is actually interesting. Players are busting their butt to impress and it can be exciting, moreso than watching a bunch of 'B' level retreads just collecting a check.

Fans need to see a roadmap to the future, else just rename the team the 'Cleveland Browns'

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smyly now makes 4 “old” starters on the roster. That still leaves one traditional slot open for the kids, as well as rest time and time to fill for a failure/trade. I think there is plenty of innings to go around. And I am not certain we have anyone ready for MLB time this year who is really getting blocked. Webb looks interesting, but at best he doesn’t look much better than a 3. Anderson has potential, but also, not much higher than a 3. Suarez and DRod look to be swingmen. Hjelli (or however you spell his name) is probably still a year away (at least).

I have absolutely zero problem with the Smyly signing. If he is good, found value. If he sucks, he is DFA’d and you have his innings for “the kids”.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smyly now makes 4 “old” starters on the roster. That still leaves one traditional slot open for the kids, as well as rest time and time to fill for a failure/trade. I think there is plenty of innings to go around. And I am not certain we have anyone ready for MLB time this year who is really getting blocked. Webb looks interesting, but at best he doesn’t look much better than a 3. Anderson has potential, but also, not much higher than a 3. Suarez and DRod look to be swingmen. Hjelli (or however you spell his name) is probably still a year away (at least).

I have absolutely zero problem with the Smyly signing. If he is good, found value. If he sucks, he is DFA’d and you have his innings for “the kids”.

there's a 3rd alternative... and the worse one imo. what if he's 'mediocre' and just hangs around collecting a paycheck, not contributing to significant wins and prevents potentials from getting a true showing?

under the old regime, this would be the likely scenario. we'll see how it plays out