• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy smokes, I'm shocked at some of the roster moves made today (but really, should I be shocked?). The Giants have done the following:
Released Scooter Gennett
Placed Trevor Gott on the 10 day IL
Optioned Abiatal Avelino to Sacramento
Recalled Mauricio Dubon and Joey Rickard from Sacramento
Purchased the contract of Tyler Rogers from Sacramento!!!

It looks like the Giants have decided to give Dubon the reins at 2nd base. But wow, am I really surprised at Rogers' contract purchase! Despite some pretty mediocre numbers this year, he is finally get his shot! I hope he does well.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought you were getting that Sandoval was going to have TJ surgery from the article I linked. But I just saw this article that talks about his pending surgery: Panda's season to end with Tommy John surgery. Sounds like there is a possibility, though, that Sandoval gets activated for at least one more AB with the Giants this year.
Being over 30 significantly reduces his chances of returning to the sport, according to nih. It's just above 50 %

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy smokes, I'm shocked at some of the roster moves made today (but really, should I be shocked?). The Giants have done the following:
Released Scooter Gennett

It looks like the Giants have decided to give Dubon the reins at 2nd base. But wow, am I really surprised at Rogers' contract purchase! Despite some pretty mediocre numbers this year, he is finally get his shot! I hope he does well.

Maybe Zaidi recognizes Rogers deserved the call up the last two years and was passed over so he threw him a bone this year. I'm happy for him. Now there are two brothers in the league at the same time!

Surprised they didn't give Gennett more time, but at least now he has a chance to still join a playoff roster. Excited for Duborn!

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad we got our second baseman of the future. It was a brilliant trade. He was here for almost a whole month before he was cut.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad we got our second baseman of the future. It was a brilliant trade. He was here for almost a whole month before he was cut.
I thought it was a headscratcher of a move, but it was clearly not a 2nd baseman of the future trade. We gave up practically nothing (that I recall) for him. It was to see if he could re-gain his form. He, predictably, did not. However, he did show more pop than in the same amount of games at Cincy. I bet some contender picks him up and he goes Sanchez for them.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Released Scooter Gennett

Updated

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From MLB Trade Rumors:
The Giants are shutting down right-handed reliever Trevor Gott for two weeks because of a Grade 1 UCL sprain and a flexor strain, according to Andrew Baggarly of The Athletic. Surgery’s not an option at the moment, fortunately, and manager Bruce Bochy’s hopeful Gott will pitch again this season. If not, this will go down as an encouraging year for Gott, whom the Giants acquired from the Nationals for cash considerations in February. While Gott has put up an unappealing 4.44 ERA in 52 2/3 frames, he has also notched a 3.12 FIP with 9.74 K/9 against 2.91 BB/9 and almost doubled his swinging-strike rate since last year (from 5.6 percent to 10.8).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants activated Pablo Sandoval and called up the following from Sacramento: Connor Menez, Burch Smith, Aramis Garcia and Chris Shaw. I expect more call ups once the playoffs are over for the RiverCats.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't really understand the Barraclough purchase. He's been awful in his brief stint with Sacramento. Granted, Rogers wasn't great this year but his numbers were a lot better in AAA that Barraclough's. There are many pitchers with the RiverCats who better deserve that 40 man spot.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't really understand the Barraclough purchase. He's been awful in his brief stint with Sacramento. Granted, Rogers wasn't great this year but his numbers were a lot better in AAA that Barraclough's. There are many pitchers with the RiverCats who better deserve that 40 man spot.

What happens when the Rivercats play in the playoffs? Shouldn't they, you know, try to win those? Who's going to be left? Or will they call up overmatched AA guys? They won't play long into September, these guys can wait another week, can't they?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happens when the Rivercats play in the playoffs? Shouldn't they, you know, try to win those? Who's going to be left? Or will they call up overmatched AA guys? They won't play long into September, these guys can wait another week, can't they?
Unless FZ dfa's Barraclough when the RiverCats are finished for the season (which is a decent possibility given its FZ), using a 40 man spot on Barraclough means one of those other guys won't be coming up this month.

And your questions make me wonder - if you are a minor league player, especially a fringe prospect or borderline non-prospect, wouldn't you rather get a call up to the big leagues than participate in a minor league playoff series, particularly in light of the fact that it will be harder to get that call starting next year?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants have placed Sandoval on 60 day IL and have claimed Corban Joseph off waivers from the A's.

Trying . . . to . . . resist . . . urge . . . to . . . critique . . . move . . .