• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interested to see what he can do.

Reports have it that his defense (which was well behind his hitting out of the draft) has surpassed his bat in terms of development, injuries have just slowed him down recently on the offensive side.

Has a good skillset to be a backup for a long time. If he can carve out a Nick Hundley career, that'd be awesome.
Hundley started as a solid starting catcher, though. He just became the wiley vet journeyman backup in the last few years. I am not sure Garcia has the starting chops in him.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hundley started as a solid starting catcher, though. He just became the wiley vet journeyman backup in the last few years. I am not sure Garcia has the starting chops in him.

True. It's hard to think of backup catchers by name off the top of my head, which is why I gravitated towards Hundley.

Side note, how many catcher in the league are really 'starting worthy'? I'd say less than 15 per year.

I'll put it this way, it seems like Garcia has just enough bat and just enough defense to last in the league for a bit as a backup. We'll see

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. It's hard to think of backup catchers by name off the top of my head, which is why I gravitated towards Hundley.

Side note, how many catcher in the league are really 'starting worthy'? I'd say less than 15 per year.

I'll put it this way, it seems like Garcia has just enough bat and just enough defense to last in the league for a bit as a backup. We'll see
Seeing as Susac is one of the top 5 catchers in the entire game...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eli's fault? :noidea:

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll never forget poor Eli. But not exactly the comp I was looking for. Maybe more like Eliezer Alfonzo before injuries ruined his career
Not sure Alfonzo works either. It took him 4 organizations, and 10 seasons, to make the big leagues. And wasn't he the catcher that got busted for taking some performance enhancing substance (or was that Guillermo Rodriguez)?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure Alfonzo works either. It took him 4 organizations, and 10 seasons, to make the big leagues. And wasn't he the catcher that got busted for taking some performance enhancing substance (or was that Guillermo Rodriguez)?

Ah yeah, you're right he was.

IDK, my point stands that backup catchers are hard to name haha

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll never forget poor Eli.
giphy.gif

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah yeah, you're right he was.

IDK, my point stands that backup catchers are hard to name haha
Maybe a good comp would be Doug Mirabelli. He had just enough offensively and defensively to last a long time in Boston. It didn't hurt that he was willing to learn how to catch a knuckle ball.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe a good comp would be Doug Mirabelli. He had just enough offensively and defensively to last a long time in Boston. It didn't hurt that he was willing to learn how to catch a knuckle ball.

Slug Killarally!

I'll always remember Bobby Estelella.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posey to the 60
Duggar to the 10
Blanco to the 25 and 40

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Duggar done and McCutchen gone, does this shift the FO's thinking regarding Shaw's September?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Duggar done and McCutchen gone, does this shift the FO's thinking regarding Shaw's September?
Gorkys will get the lions share of CF pt...
Slater will get the bulk of the LF play...

Maybe Hanson gets RF time? Blanco? That would be a waste...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't be surprised to see both Pence and Blanco get at least semi-regular playing time now. I really think that hiding Shaw from the big leagues shows how little faith they have in his talent and is going to make potential trading partners more reticent to trade for him (or lower the value of what the Giants get in return). Seems this idea is going to backfire.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd rather see Slater play everywhere, some 2B, 3B, 1B, RF, CF, LF. He can be a 4th OFer, and a fifth infielder!

Wonder about Mac. Probably best if he's rest focused on rehabbing as opposed to game action (which seems to be part of his issues, too much to think about/mental stress), but this would be a nice opportunity for him.

I really don't see the hesitation with Shaw. Service time being a big thing, but he's not really a prime candidate for that 'extra' year they'd get by holding him back. He'll be 25 next year, won't be eligible for free agency until he's 32. That's not a guy you save valuable years for.

If it really is that they don't want to expose him, as you've said before, I don't really see a good reason for that either. Team have so much info on these guys before they come to the majors already. Shaw has a very large book, a September cuppo isn't going to uncover anything new tbh.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather see Slater play everywhere, some 2B, 3B, 1B, RF, CF, LF. He can be a 4th OFer, and a fifth infielder!

Wonder about Mac. Probably best if he's rest focused on rehabbing as opposed to game action (which seems to be part of his issues, too much to think about/mental stress), but this would be a nice opportunity for him.

I really don't see the hesitation with Shaw. Service time being a big thing, but he's not really a prime candidate for that 'extra' year they'd get by holding him back. He'll be 25 next year, won't be eligible for free agency until he's 32. That's not a guy you save valuable years for.

If it really is that they don't want to expose him, as you've said before, I don't really see a good reason for that either. Team have so much info on these guys before they come to the majors already. Shaw has a very large book, a September cuppo isn't going to uncover anything new tbh.
The “hiding him” thing was not my opinion. I heard someone propose it as a possibility. I don’t really have an opinion on the topic. I guess I would rather see what he can do, trade value be damned. But I also trust that the FO has more info than me, so they will make their decisions based on factors I have no idea even exist.