• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster (Potential) Sleepers

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see much coming from OL Austin, LB Whitehead (never understood giving up a future early 4th rd pick for him when he was mostly viewed as a stay in the gap run support or blitz, he's good on ST for now). Seems like to me in 2013 we blitzed more than the 2 previous years combined yet were in nickel/dime coverage 65% of the time. Jonte Green and Chris Greenwood (who should have been turned into a FS with his size, speed, range) maybe DC Austin can help them improve this year but I have my doubts. Bentley will be a prove it or see ya year with all of his holding, illegal contact, PI penalties. Owens, Moore, T. Lewis all gone. Hope they get Aaron Murray in 4th rd somewhere. Riddick would be my surprise player if they'd give him more snaps but I highly doubt that with Bush and Bell. Riddick played a lot of y and z wr at Notre Dame and rb. They need to come up with some specialty packages to use him more often.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess I'll respond before I read everyone's response.

My top favorites to show improvements and claim spots are Whitehead, Riddick, Slay and Greenwood.

I spoke on Whitehead a while back and got laughed at. I do think this guy sees his opportunity this year and takes advantage. Here's a guy that didnt see any action because he was raw and didnt fit the scheme. Now, this defense should allow him to do some of the things he did at Temple. I like the odds here.

I think Riddick is in a perfect situation in Detroit. He compliments well to the pass and run game and will serve well when Lombardi chooses to get creative. He can play in the slot also. I could even see him and Bush in the game at the same time.

Slay should be fine, assuming that he has put in the work. We have a solid #2 in him and he can make plays. To me, he emerges as the Lions top CB under the new staff.

Greenwood could surprise everyone here and might be one reason why the team may pass on a CB early. If he comes on strong, the Lions could be forming a damn good secondary. Him and Slay possess the perfect attributes as CBs. If the Lions add any of the CBs we have discussed here, I would say look for a good year in the secondary.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as where I think the Lions will improve the most, my sleepers will be Caldwell, Lombardi, and Austin.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It comes as a surprise to no one that I am going with Waddle. I pointed him out last year as having won the job last year but not given the shot by Shwartz because Hilliard had experience. After Hilliard was exposed for being nothing more than an adequate backup (and even that is being generous), Waddle got his chance and graded out as one of the better tackles in football.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It comes as a surprise to no one that I am going with Waddle. I pointed him out last year as having won the job last year but not given the shot by Shwartz because Hilliard had experience. After Hilliard was exposed for being nothing more than an adequate backup (and even that is being generous), Waddle got his chance and graded out as one of the better tackles in football.

Didn't he already, kinda breakout? (That's my hangup on Fauria, I think he already did.) Or would getting credit for being a good football player by non-Lions serve as breaking out?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't he already, kinda breakout? (That's my hangup on Fauria, I think he already did.) Or would getting credit for being a good football player by non-Lions serve as breaking out?

Understand the thought process you got going. Fauria could breakout by being more a threat all over the field and not just in redzone. IMO if you can take a player and create mismatches in redzone where windows are smaller, he has to be used all over. Just maybe Lombardi can get your fav player to look at other guys besides CJ when in doubt...

Waddle would still be breakout IMO if used 16 starts and rates high as he would have with more starts last season.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I joked initially but this was an enjoyable/interesting read.

My favorite guy on this list is Slay. I'm looking forward to seeing his growth with a season under his belt followed by a full camp. You had him pegged @ 70%. I put that number somewhere into the mid to high eighties. I'm actually excited to see his impact moving forward.

I'd say that of the people that view this thread, 63% of the people will respond.

I was planning on being part of the 37% that didn't reply, but by telling you that I have now changed your stats.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the draft being pushed back has created some very cyclical draft-centric board conversation these last couple weeks. I figured I'd try to toss out something to stir up some alternate chit-chat. Basically I assessed the less-than-established players on our team and highlighted some who have a shot at being a breakout player for us this year...

QB: Kellen Moore- I don't know... maybe if his arm strength keeps improving to the point of average. He was very accurate and had good timing in college. Brees is a timing and accuracy guy. He still needs a lot of work, though. I give him about a 15% on the "potential surprise player o-meter"

RB: Mikel Leshoure- New Orlean's Offense utalized a lot of different RBs in a lot of different ways. Having a big RB who has the benefit of staying fresh do to low total touches may be appealing to Lombardi. Having "personal issues" during the volintary shit this week doesn't help his case. I'll give him a 28% on the surprise-o-meter.

Theo Riddick- Not likely to do a ton behind Bell and Bush, but if Bush goes down Riddick can fill that same role in our offense in his stead. Not as much production as Bush, obviously, but still a ton more than otherwise expected. Totally injury-based, but I'll give him a 35% chance of being the surprise player.

Montell Owens- The hybrid RB/FB doesn't offer break-away speed, but actually looks pretty explosive through his initial burst. He actually averaged a full 5.0 yards per carry on 49 carries two years ago with Jacksonville when injuries forced him into action late in the season. He also had 8 grabs that year for 113 yards, so while he didn't get the opportunities often, he produced when his name was called. Also a core special-teamer. If Leshoure continues to shit the bed, Owens could wind up being our 4th RB. His compact 5'10" 230 lbs frame stacks up similarly to Leshoure's build. I guess I had a lot to say about him, but he's still only getting an 11% chance of being our surprise break-out player.

WR: Corey Fuller-I don't think he'll produce a ton this year, but he could well make the roster as the 5th or 6th WR in place of Kris Durham. Maybe a 25 catch, 325 yard season wouldn't be too outrageous to predict if he makes the roster? I don't know... I'll give him a 37% chance in the surprise-breakout-player-guy-o-meter-thing.

Kris Durham- Unlikely given his lack of finite body control and strong case of the dropsies. However, he's got elite size (tallest WR in the NFL last year) and good deep speed. If he can either A.) add 10-15 lbs and use his size to be a possession guy, or B.) Use his speed and lean body type to re-invent himself as a deep threat ala Robert Meachem and Devery Henderson. Neither scenario seems likely. I'll give him a 16% chance.

Jeremy Ross-I'm actaually pretty high on Ross' potential as a slot WR in our new offense. He went off in the Thanksgiving game against GB operating out of the slot. He showed he can work the middle on a nice TD grab in that game, and his long reverse play put Burleson's 20+ attempts at doing it that well to shame. His return skills should be enough to lock down a roster spot, but I think he's got a good chance to surprise some people on offense. His RB frame (6'0" 215 lbs.) and open field running skills don't rule out occasional backfield useage, so he's a guy who can wear a lot of hats. I'm giving him a 45% chance of being the super secret surprise player who's already on our roster.

Pat Edwards-I know, we've all been down this road before... But Edwards does have some talent, and was easily the fastest guy on the team last year, for what that's worth. He'll get another look in camp, but ultimately his track record is going to end up sinking him. 9% chance of being that guy for us.

TE: Joe Fauria- 4EA has a great shot to have a break-out year in this offense. Not a threat to break away in the open field, but huge catch radius, huge ups, and giant hands makes him wicked difficult to cover within 20 yards of the line of scrimmage. Red zone nightmare for opposing defenses, as we've already found out with him... 84% chance of being our breakout player this year.

Dorin Dickerson- Kind of a hybrid TE/FB/H-Back/WR type with off-the-charts measurables at the combine. Lacks a defined role in the NFL and has bounced around, but I do remember watching him running wide open a few times for us last year. I also remember him dropping a wide open 10 yard pass with 30 yards of open field ahead of him. Let's go with an even 15% chance.

OL: Rodney Austin-The old coaching staff seemed pretty high on this kid's potential. The O-line coach is still the same. He's got some upside, but I don't see him overtaking established vet Rob Sims, or the instant sensation Larry Warford. Suprise-o-meter odds: 15%.

LaAdrian Waddle-He got off to a promising start last year, and if he can build off that he can be a dominant RT with his frame and length. Great chance, imo, to have a break-out season. 75% break out odds.

DL: Devin Taylor-Another rookie forced into action due to injury who outperformed expectations. Used his length well to control his blocker, and has the speed to turn the corner. Realistically could deliver a double-digit sack season playing on a D-line with Suh, Fairley, and Ansah commanding so much attention. 68% chance.

Jason Jones- I don't see him putting up big numbers at DE, but if he gets some looks at DT he can be pretty disruptive. Could get some looks from all over the D-line in our new defense. Overall a useful, but limited, rotational veteran, imo. 30% break out chance.

LB: Tahir Whitehead-Here's where I'm likely to encounter some koolaid and cornbread commentary. I think Whithead is going to be our breakout surprise player. Now, I don't think he's going to have a Pro Bowl year, or light the world on fire or anything, but I think he'll seize that rush linebacker hybrid spot the coaches are talking about. He was a 3-4 OLB, more or less, at Temple, and we tried converting him to a 4-3 OLB. It didn't much work, We saw flashes and displays of great athleticism in the preseason, but he was clearly a man out of position. Now, our coaches want a "flamethrower" rush OLB. That's basically Whitehead. Maybe we still draft a better option, but I see Whitehead being in the mix and eventually turning into a player for us. 90% chance break out player (way out on a limb here, I know).

Brandon Hepburn- Probably not much going on here, but he's got very good size/ speed combo for the position. Might make the roster as the back-up MLB, but he's no lock. 4% chance.

Travis Lewis- Don't see it with this guy. Lit the world on fire in his first two years at Oklahoma, has been all downhill since. Imo, doesn't make the team this year. 2% chance of being that guy.

CB: Darius Slay- Slay has a pretty good shot, to be honest. He's got all the tools and showed flashes last year. He'll be given every chance to step up and claim a starting spot for a long time. 70% break-out chance.

Bill Bentley- It's year three, time to put up or shut up. All the right traits to be a very good slot man for us, as long as he can stay healthy. 53% chance.

Jonte Green- Another of my favorites to surprise people. Green has looked like a capable player every time injuries have thrust him into the game. With a clean slate and fair shot, Green just might challenge for meaningful playing time this year. 65% break-out odds.

Chris Greenwood- Here's a guy who should merit some conversation on this thread. All the tools, and finally flashed some real, on-field, potential last season. If he picks up where he left off he might be on the fast-track to staring with the new staff. Not there yet, but he could see a lot more playing time this year in efforts to speed his development. 73%.

Safety: Isa Abdul-Quddus- Some potential, has filled in as a spot-starter for New Orleans. Key special teamer. Probably not a break out guy though, imo. 7% surprise sleeper chance.

That's about all I got. Feel free to add any I forgot. I know for a fact that some of you guys don't like certain dudes on this list. And maybe some of you like some of these guys more than most... so let's get some chat going to fill the two weeks till the draft!

Nailed it! lol

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I joked initially but this was an enjoyable/interesting read.

My favorite guy on this list is Slay. I'm looking forward to seeing his growth with a season under his belt followed by a full camp. You had him pegged @ 70%. I put that number somewhere into the mid to high eighties. I'm actually excited to see his impact moving forward.

I'd say that of the people that view this thread, 63% of the people will respond.

Good call man.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess I'll respond before I read everyone's response.

My top favorites to show improvements and claim spots are Whitehead, Riddick, Slay and Greenwood.

I spoke on Whitehead a while back and got laughed at. I do think this guy sees his opportunity this year and takes advantage. Here's a guy that didnt see any action because he was raw and didnt fit the scheme. Now, this defense should allow him to do some of the things he did at Temple. I like the odds here.

I think Riddick is in a perfect situation in Detroit. He compliments well to the pass and run game and will serve well when Lombardi chooses to get creative. He can play in the slot also. I could even see him and Bush in the game at the same time.

Slay should be fine, assuming that he has put in the work. We have a solid #2 in him and he can make plays. To me, he emerges as the Lions top CB under the new staff.

Greenwood could surprise everyone here and might be one reason why the team may pass on a CB early. If he comes on strong, the Lions could be forming a damn good secondary. Him and Slay possess the perfect attributes as CBs. If the Lions add any of the CBs we have discussed here, I would say look for a good year in the secondary.

#Foresight