• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Curious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pick 9 games out of these 16 and tell me does it look realistic to go above 8-8 next year.

Home games:
New York Giants (7-9)
Philadelphia (10-6)
Washington (3-13)
Arizona (10-6)
San Francisco (12-4)
Houston (2-14)
Indianapolis (11-5)
New Orleans (11-5)

Cowboys’ road games:

New York Giants (7-9)
Philadelphia (10-6)
Washington (3-13)
St. Louis (7-9)
Seattle (13-3)
Jacksonville (4-12) — at London
Tennessee (7-9)
Chicago (8-8)

I say this to put it to this point, if Dallas goes 8-8 or worse, would you end it all and start over? New coach, new QB, etc. Per my rough calculations without picking up options on Free and Orton next year we are at about 100MM as our 2015 cap number meaning if the projected cap number is 140MM we would have 40MM in space to sign Dez, TSmith (who really isn't a FA until 2016), Murray, and Carter, which even with resigning all of these players we would still have about 10-15MM or so estimated.

Knowing this would you go with a new coach and cut Romo in 2015 which would give you an additional 8MM to spend in 2015, and cut Carr pre June 1st for an even wash, and cut Witten to get an additional 3MM to spend in 2015 for a total of estimated 51MM in cap space with no dead money in 2016, which would still be plenty after you sign a Dez and Smith. Do you start over and let the new coach pick his QB and majority of his roster with that 51MM in cap space based off of a 140MM 2015 cap? Not to mention as of now Cam, Kapernick, Mallet, Dalton, and Alex Smith are all free agents. What do you do? Cutting Romo, Witten, and Carr takes you from the worse cap situation to the best come 2015. What would you do as GM?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pick 9 games out of these 16 and tell me does it look realistic to go above 8-8 next year.

Home games:
New York Giants (7-9)
Philadelphia (10-6)
Washington (3-13)
Arizona (10-6)
San Francisco (12-4)
Houston (2-14)
Indianapolis (11-5)
New Orleans (11-5)

Cowboys’ road games:

New York Giants (7-9)
Philadelphia (10-6)
Washington (3-13)
St. Louis (7-9)
Seattle (13-3)
Jacksonville (4-12) — at London
Tennessee (7-9)
Chicago (8-8)

I say this to put it to this point, if Dallas goes 8-8 or worse, would you end it all and start over? New coach, new QB, etc. Per my rough calculations without picking up options on Free and Orton next year we are at about 100MM as our 2015 cap number meaning if the projected cap number is 140MM we would have 40MM in space to sign Dez, TSmith (who really isn't a FA until 2016), Murray, and Carter, which even with resigning all of these players we would still have about 10-15MM or so estimated.

Knowing this would you go with a new coach and cut Romo in 2015 which would give you an additional 8MM to spend in 2015, and cut Carr pre June 1st for an even wash, and cut Witten to get an additional 3MM to spend in 2015 for a total of estimated 51MM in cap space with no dead money in 2016, which would still be plenty after you sign a Dez and Smith. Do you start over and let the new coach pick his QB and majority of his roster with that 51MM in cap space based off of a 140MM 2015 cap? Not to mention as of now Cam, Kapernick, Mallet, Dalton, and Alex Smith are all free agents. What do you do? Cutting Romo, Witten, and Carr takes you from the worse cap situation to the best come 2015. What would you do as GM?

I could see 9. I don't see our defense getting worse, and I don't see our offense letting up either.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see 9. I don't see our defense getting worse, and I don't see our offense letting up either.

Don't think we beat cards or bears. Bears getting better we getting worse, not to mention last two games we played them, they killed us.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After looking at our DL I would be shocked to see the cowboys win 9 games. Garrett had better hope Jerrah is giving him a clean slate.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won't even try until preseason.

I'm not saying it to make a realistic projection for the season, but more so what would you do for the future if Jerry hired you today right now knowing all of this info?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is no different from most other years. We got a tough NFC draw and a good AFC draw. I never write off anything in sports. Obviously Seattle on the road doesn't look like a win. SF will be better than us, but at home. NO at Home. Indy at Home. I don't see any other teams as guaranteed to be better than us, so most of those other games can go either way.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying it to make a realistic projection for the season, but more so what would you do for the future if Jerry hired you today right now knowing all of this info?

Honestly I was ready to support blowing the whole thing up last year before Jerry redid half the contracts to find money for Romo. As each contract was restructured I knew we couldn't blow up a damn thing. Those smarter on contracts know if we will be able to blow it all up in 15 but I don't see how it could be done right now. I'm tired of trying to patch up this team with old tires and rubber cement. We need to try to build through the Draft for a few years saving money by staying away from high price FA until we are close. Then use Free agency to make the team a contender.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
amen brother............teams build through the draft by drafting well and resigning their own. You fill lower end roster spots with young free agents.

jerry is always a day late. Now he understands depth is required. I guess better late than never.

I like the two signing today. Just a couple of guys to fill depth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I was ready to support blowing the whole thing up last year before Jerry redid half the contracts to find money for Romo. As each contract was restructured I knew we couldn't blow up a damn thing. Those smarter on contracts know if we will be able to blow it all up in 15 but I don't see how it could be done right now. I'm tired of trying to patch up this team with old tires and rubber cement. We need to try to build through the Draft for a few years saving money by staying away from high price FA until we are close. Then use Free agency to make the team a contender.

This is my whole point....for most I think I am pointing out the fact that we can start over fresh come 2015 when most said we would not even be able to keep Dez. So do you draft BPA? Let's say Evans drops to us at 16 since Detroit signed Golden Tate today, do you take him to pair with Dez and TWill for the next 5 years? Give us those three and a two TE set of Escobar and Hanna for the next five years I'd say that's a thing of beauty. Or do you take DL or Safety due to our needs therefore neglecting the BPA philosophy. I think most successful drafts are the ones where you stay true to your board and grab BPA, that's what Seahawks have done and 9ers.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is my whole point....for most I think I am pointing out the fact that we can start over fresh come 2015 when most said we would not even be able to keep Dez. So do you draft BPA? Let's say Evans drops to us at 16 since Detroit signed Golden Tate today, do you take him to pair with Dez and TWill for the next 5 years? Give us those three and a two TE set of Escobar and Hanna for the next five years I'd say that's a thing of beauty. Or do you take DL or Safety due to our needs therefore neglecting the BPA philosophy. I think most successful drafts are the ones where you stay true to your board and grab BPA, that's what Seahawks have done and 9ers.

In 2014 for the mist part I stay with best defensive player unless for some strange reason Robinson drops like he has done in the draft simulator Jarnnt posted.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as I'm tied to Romo I try to win now. Who knows maybe right before the trade deadline a contending team loses their QB. If I can get great value in a trade I do that and begin the rebuild. I'd try the same with Dez. u wouldn't resign him right now. I'd wait to to see if anyone wants to trade for him mid season.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would rather go with a true rebuild as you are talking about and take the BPA, but really commit to it. It's what worked in SF and Seattle. Look at Russell Wilson. The Seahawks had just paid big FA money for Matt Flynn. Many people were knocking the Wilson pick in the 3rd round, but he was their BPA and they took him. The rest is history. If the Cowboys take that approach, and say Evens is a top 5 on their board and falls to them, take him. Use the draft to increase your overall team talent, and then use FA after June 1 to fill out the holes that are left with short term deals

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't want any part of using the first four draft picks on a WR or a TE unless it means that we have made a move to get us more draft picks in the early rounds (e.g. trading Dez for a first and second).

Our problem right now is not on offense. Our problem is on defense, specifically DL, S, LB. As it looks right now, we are going to need five to six new starters on defense and most of those should be available in the draft if we don't screw it up by going for glamor picks.

If Jerry picks offense in any of the first four rounds, I hope it is for the line.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want any part of using the first four draft picks on a WR or a TE unless it means that we have made a move to get us more draft picks in the early rounds (e.g. trading Dez for a first and second).

Our problem right now is not on offense. Our problem is on defense, specifically DL, S, LB. As it looks right now, we are going to need five to six new starters on defense and most of those should be available in the draft if we don't screw it up by going for glamor picks.

If Jerry picks offense in any of the first four rounds, I hope it is for the line.

boy...me either and certainly not the A&M receiver

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
boy...me either and certainly not the A&M receiver

As a former San Antonio resident and A&M fan ...... Hell no to any player from there.

I'll take a TCU guy over an A&M guy any day ........ nothing tough much less NFL tough about an A&M player

That just is what it is

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see the sure future NFL star as most do in Evans.

HAHA Me either ..... But some dumbass will draft him high

Same as some dumbass will go get Johnny Football

If they prove me wrong .... great good for them

I wouldn't touch either one