• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CS: Definitive 8 College Football Blue Bloods

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No team from the state of Florida?
Yeah. Those were the first schools that popped out of me as well. Like others have stated, Florida State certainly has the resume as of late, but only has played about half the games when compared to these other teams. Florida has been very impressive but not getting their first title till 96 pushes them back when compared to the others with the longer resumes.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ignorant. Despite having our worst stretch since the 1960's, we're still right up there with some of the best. Since our last title:
View attachment 119245
You can BS all you want about us not having a recruiting base, but when exactly has Nebraska ever had a recruiting base? We've done okay just the same.

Ok, your new reality is you'll be around the 16th best program in the country. The problem is no more partial qualifiers to recruit, and you got stuck in the weak division of the big ten. The Big ten is built on Penn/ohio talent, and you're not in the big ten east.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska has no buisness on that list now, Michigan and Texas need to get it together quick or they should go too pretty soon IMO.
I like Texas location as far as long term stability but I like UM's coach better I shouldn't use the word like, I can't stand the bastard but I DO think he is a better coach, Texas screwed up not hiring Dantonio iyam

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, your new reality is you'll be around the 16th best program in the country. The problem is no more partial qualifiers to recruit, and you got stuck in the weak division of the big ten. The Big ten is built on Penn/ohio talent, and you're not in the big ten east.
:lol: We are potentially going to sign a top 10 class this year coming off a 5-7 season. STFU if you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trolling. As I said, I understand why you get listed, but Texas really needs to be more consistent.

10 years ago Alabama wasn't getting respect in the same way either and for the same reasons.
Agree and good comparison to Bama pre Saban. IMO if Texas gets their act together as far as leadership then they would rival anything Alabama is doing however, to date that's not the case. they are going to be interesting moving forward with the new guys.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, while there are a pretty distinct set of "Blue Bloods", I'd say there is a top tier and a second tier, based on how things have shaped up in recent times -

TOP TIER: Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, USC

SECOND TIER: Texas, michigan, Nebraska, Notre Dame

Since the turn of the century, the first four have been consistently dominant with very few down years. The second four have fallen off in terms of what you would expect from a "blue blood".

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more interesting question: The top 8 programs since 2000.

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. LSU
4. OU
5. Florida
6. USC
7. Texas
8. Oregon

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, while there are a pretty distinct set of "Blue Bloods", I'd say there is a top tier and a second tier, based on how things have shaped up in recent times -

TOP TIER: Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, USC

SECOND TIER: Texas, michigan, Nebraska, Notre Dame

Since the turn of the century, the first four have been consistently dominant with very few down years. The second four have fallen off in terms of what you would expect from a "blue blood".
I think it's tough to say that given that we are talking about blue bloods. OU, OSU, and Bama didn't exactly set the world on fire in the 1990's. They came back, though. I don't think you would have argued that any of those teams were in jeopardy of losing blue blood status at the time.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska has no buisness on that list now, Michigan and Texas need to get it together quick or they should go too pretty soon IMO.
I like Texas location as far as long term stability but I like UM's coach better I shouldn't use the word like, I can't stand the bastard but I DO think he is a better coach, Texas screwed up not hiring Dantonio iyam
For the record, Michigan just won 10 games last year and dominated an SEC division champ in a bowl game...

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's tough to say that given that we are talking about blue bloods. OU, OSU, and Bama didn't exactly set the world on fire in the 1990's. They came back, though. I don't think you would have argued that any of those teams were in jeopardy of losing blue blood status at the time.

OSU was 10th in winning % from 90-99 and finished in the top 10 in 5 of those years. Bama won a title in the 90's. So in other words both could be considered top 10 programs of that decade. I'll give you OU.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OSU was 10th in winning % from 90-99 and finished in the top 10 in 5 of those years. Bama won a title in the 90's. So in other words both could be considered top 10 programs of that decade. I'll give you OU.
Guess I was thinking of late 90s-early 2000's for Bama. Not sure what I was thinking with OSU :doh:

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously? Ohio state had four seasons in the 90s where they lost 2 games or less (three of those were 1-loss seasons), won a Rose Bowl, and put tons of players into the NFL. If John Cooper could have beaten michigan we likely would have had at least one NC, considering the obscene talent on those teams.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, Michigan just won 10 games last year and dominated an SEC division champ in a bowl game...
Yup, good year, good start and like I say I think Michigan made the best possible hire that they could. I think the biggest hurdle will be recruiting vs other blue bloods. It might work out, time will tell.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously? Ohio state had four seasons in the 90s where they lost 2 games or less (three of those were 1-loss seasons), won a Rose Bowl, and put tons of players into the NFL. If John Cooper could have beaten michigan we likely would have had at least one NC, considering the obscene talent on those teams.
Yeah, I am not sure what I was thinking there. As much as Cooper is bashed for not beating Michigan, I guess I just assumed it didn't go so well overall. I admitted I was wrong above.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I am not sure what I was thinking there. As much as Cooper is bashed for not beating Michigan, I guess I just assumed it didn't go so well overall. I admitted I was wrong above.
I actually missed your post, I think we were at the same time. You weren't fair off to assume that, given not only his inability to beat michigan but his overall poor bowl record, though the Rose and Sugar Bowl wins he had were impressive.