• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CrashDavisSports Wishful Mock

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a brutal schedule versus powerhouse offenses this year and we are lacking one of our best players in Leon Hall. We signed a bunch of fill ins, but no one that can work their way into a long term permanent position, due mostly to age and talent really.

If I had my druthers, this would be my take on how I would like the draft to unfold.

Round 1 (1st Pick): Stephen Gilmore (CB: South Carolina / 6'0" / 190 / 4.40)

Gilmore fills more than a need this year. He will be lucky to get a ton of playing time as I am sure the crappy vets we have signed will trump him at least the beginning of the season due to just verteran experience and knowledge. However, our defense is going to face some of the more explosive offenses in the league this year, and to have Gilmore and Hall ready to be the men by 2013 will be a huge step in the right direction. These offenses will be a great experience builder for Gilmore. Either way we are going to live or die by most our vets we signed in the offseason, we can at least start heading back in the right direction with our secondary.

Round 1 (Pick 2): Dont'a Hightower (MLB: Alabama / 6'2" / 265 / 4.68)

Hightower also fills another role that we have obviously been taking for so many years. We need a Ray Lewis Brian Urlacher type guy quarterbacking our defense. He was one of the co-leaders on the Alabama defense with Mark Barron and helped control a defense that led the Nation in so many categories last year. Rey Maualuga has struggled more often than not, he disappears during games and gets swallowed by interior lineman. In order to take our defense to that next level, we need a guy with Hightowers size, excellent speed, and knowledge to get us there. Not often are we in a position to take two excellent playmakers on defense in the first round, this of all years should be the time for us to do it considering the offenses we face.

Round 2: Harrison Smith (S: Notre Dame / 6'2" / 213 / 4.57)

We were fortunate enough to resign Reggie Nelson in free agency, but he is not exactly the beat all / end all safeties. After Nelson, we basically have NOTHING but garbage filler and backups. Fortunately we said good bye to Crocker, addition by subtraction, but we still have nothing to replace him with. Our secondary could use some leadership back there and Smith was a 4 year starter at Notre Dame the defensive captain. He is the only player in Notre Dame history to have 200 tackles, 15+ tackles for loss and 15+ pass breakups. He projects at either FS or SS at the next level so he could fill the role of "just plain safety" since Marvin does not like to label his safties FS or SS. Once again, the offenses we face this year, we could use some quality players, even if they are very young to help improve that area of extreme need.

Round 3: Marvin McNutt (WR: Iowa / 6'3" / 216 / 4.54)

I didn't know much about Marvin McNutt before someone else brought him up on here, but since seeing one of his highlight reels from YouTube, I was in awe of him, so I did a bit more digging to find out a little more about him since he didn't perform too well at the combine. His numbers are average but he has tremendous burst and agility while showing exceptional body control when going up for catches. He possesses excellent hands and will be a huge factor at the next level with his size. He will make an excellent compliment to AJ Green, as Green is the deep threat on the outside, while McNutt is more of a possession guy who is ecellent at catching the ball in traffic. He will be labeled a draft day steal for the Bengals in 2 to 3 years.

Round 4: Jake Bequette (DE: Arkansas / 6'4" / 274 / 4.82)

Our DE's have a lot of question marks surrounding them. Dunlap is either lazy or hurt way too often, Johnson is inconsistant and gets swallowed by more athletic tackles, Geather sis getting older and never really been much of a threat outside his extension year. We need more hands on deck at this position, even though we grabbed Anderson and Harvey in FA. Once again, vets will probably trump the young blood, but to add quality to that rotation in case of injuries, and a chance to groom Arkansas's All-Time sack leader is worth the 4th round pick.

Round 5 (Pick 1): Terrance Ganaway (RB: Baylor / 5'11" / 240 / 4.67)

Ganaway was a legit weapon in that Baylor offense with RGIII and Kendall Wright. Ganaway is not a break away runner, but he has the size and agility to be a solid AFC North RB against the large DL of the Browns, Steelers and Ravens. Our biggest problem running the ball last year besides the lack of holes seemed to be teh vision of our RB's or the ability to improv when the play broke down to convert on 3rd and short. BenJarvus Ellis-Green and Ganaway would provent this from being a weakness of our offense again, even in the AFC North.

Round 5 (Pick 2): Brandon Mosley (OT: Auburn / 6'5" / 314 / 5.21)

I know we need guards, but Andre Smith is in his final contract year, and we have nothing behind him to step in when he is gone next year if we are unable to resign him. While it would be ideal to have a higher draft pick as a replacement, Mosley is a solid tackle and could be a very good backup and even potential starter with the right coaching. Our coaching kinda lacks the "gusto" to get average players to be great players, but Mosley has the talent, just needs the reps, and coaching. This could be our #1 draft pick next year if no one steps up to warrant taking Smith spot and he leaves via free agency.

Round 5 (Pick 3): Case Keenum (QB: Houston / 6'1" / 208 / 4.82)

While at first glance may seem like a wasted pick due to Andy Dalton being the young starter, we desperately need a backup QB with the ability to win a game if something was to happen to Dalton. He may not make 2nd string this year, but a year behind Dalton and Gradkowski (he has to be as good at holding teh clip board as Zak Robinson) he could emerge as the backup this teams needs as insurance to anything happening to Dalton. Luxury pick here, but hard to argue with teh success he has had at Houston. Unlike David Klinger, Case Kennum will have the chance to sit, learn and absorb instead of being thrust into the spotlight with all the pressure on his shoulders.

Round 6: Sammy Brown (OLB: Houston / 6'2" / 242 / 4.63)

We need more emerging depth at OLB as well. At this point you will not find many starters, so you are looking for size, speed, potential..a guy who could use his abilities to his advantage, learn and develop. Brown is that guy. While in his senior year at Houston, he had 93 tackles, while racking up and unbelievable 30 tackles for loss and 13.5 sacks and 3 pass breakups. He is a late round project but with Muckleroy coming off his injury, Moch being a complete wuss with headaches, trading away Rivers, we need a little more roster depth there, and Brown makes perfect sense at this point in the draft to take a chance on.

Last edited by a moderator:

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Case Keenum is a better QB than Dalton right now.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I dont think they can neglect the interior O-line for another year and see Harrison Smith as another 'in the box' safety (we need a guy that can cover in a passing league). Also, I know most people love him but I think Gilmore is overrated so overall, not a fan (but we'll get to see how the real one plays out soon enough)

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
LOL. Gilmore is univerally at top 10 player, and Greg Cosell says he's the best CB in the draft.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
LOL. Gilmore is univerally at top 10 player, and Greg Cosell says he's the best CB in the draft.

Keith Rivers was universally lauded as a can't miss. So was Aaron Curry. Pundits can be wrong. I think Gilmore is good but not top of the first good. After actual football he was slotted as a 2nd round pick. Shot up the boards after months of over evaluation.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with Keith Rivers is he's a pussy.....West Coast football is Pussyville. Why any defensive player is drafted there in the first outside of a defensive back is beyond me. They don't play real football out there. They play fag football out there.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with Keith Rivers is he's a pussy.....West Coast football is Pussyville. Why any defensive player is drafted there in the first outside of a defensive back is beyond me. They don't play real football out there. They play fag football out there.

The Pac-10 (12) is the worst defensive conference in the country.

augustisback003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Nice draft overall. As you know I like Hightower, McNutt, Bequette and Brown but I will agree with Servo on one point as Gilmore may be overvalued as his draft stock caught fire recently and he went from a late 1st early 2nd to a possible top 10 pick. Don't get me wrong I think the kid is a good player and "could" be special in the right scheme and coaching but he played in a zone oriented defense at South Carolina and didn't play a lot of man-to-man or press coverage. So that area of his game is not fully developed and it may take a while for him to learn that part of the game. But of all the players in this draft I think he has the most upside, yes even more so than Morris Claiborne, because of the size and speed he possesses.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nice draft overall. As you know I like Hightower, McNutt, Bequette and Brown but I will agree with Servo on one point as Gilmore may be overvalued as his draft stock caught fire recently and he went from a late 1st early 2nd to a possible top 10 pick. Don't get me wrong I think the kid is a good player and "could" be special in the right scheme and coaching but he played in a zone oriented defense at South Carolina and didn't play a lot of man-to-man or press coverage. So that area of his game is not fully developed and it may take a while for him to learn that part of the game. But of all the players in this draft I think he has the most upside, yes even more so than Morris Claiborne, because of the size and speed he possesses.

I like Jenkins game way better than Gilmore's. I could be mistaken but I think Gilmore got regularly lit up by the better WR's he faced at SC. Too bad Jenkins is such a knucklehead as he is exactly the player on the field that we need.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we had this draft amd we are able to hang on to our starters for the start of next year, minus Andre Smith...I can see us going...

1st OT/DE
2nd-A OT/OG/DE
2nd-B OT/OG/DE

We would be pretty well set everywhere after next years draft.

QB - Dalton / Keenum
RB - Ellis-Green / Ganaway
FB - Pressley
WR - Green / McNutt / Shipley / Hawkins
TE - Gresham
LT - Whitworth
LG - Wharton
C - Cook
RG - 2013 Rookie
OT - 2013 Rookie

DE - Dunlap / 2013 Rookie
DT - Atkins
DT - Peko / Sims
DE - Bequette / 2013 Rookie
OLB - Howard
MLB - Hightower
OLB - Maualuga/Muckleroy/Moch/Brown
CB - Hall
CB - Gilmore
S - Nelson/Sands
S - Harrison/Mays

K - Nugent
P - Huber
LS - Harris

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Jenkins game way better than Gilmore's. I could be mistaken but I think Gilmore got regularly lit up by the better WR's he faced at SC. Too bad Jenkins is such a knucklehead as he is exactly the player on the field that we need.

And Kirkpatrick is falling in stock who was the #1 CB in college coming into last year, and he also scored the highest overall of all CB at the combine, including Claiborne. Yet he is being over looked as well. Claiborne is a man to man CB, and Kirkpatrick/Gilmore are more zone type of CB's, but I think Gilmore with his speed and agility could become a good man to man CB. Less downside from Gilmore than almost any other CB in the draft IMO.