• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

crabs torn Achilles no!

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit if Crabtree took the entire year off to rehab, and take the offseason to continue to rehab while getting back into playing shape.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit if Crabtree took the entire year off to rehab, and take the offseason to continue to rehab while getting back into playing shape.

me neither, cause even when he returns, he won't just go in and be his old self. he'll take a few games to get back anyway, wouldn't this be near end of season? guess you could run him a little bit, not have him start.

if we're doing good by then, it is likely other WR's had filled in fine? by that time Kaep had gotten chemistry with another WR, or two? would we want to disrupt it going into the play-offs?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Michael Crabtree - WR - 49ers

Michael Crabtree (Achilles' surgery) said he'll begin rehab workouts Tuesday.

Crabtree is now six weeks removed from surgery to repair his fully torn right Achilles' tendon. He has at least 4 1/2 months of rehab in front of him. In a best-case scenario, Crabtree will be eased back in for the final quarter of the regular season and then contribute in the playoffs.
Source: Michael Crabtree on Twitter

Jul 2 - 9:14 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

CSN Bay Area expects Michael Crabtree (Achilles' surgery) to begin the year on injured reserve/designated for return.

The PUP list is another possibility, but injured reserve/designated for return makes more sense because Crabtree is expected to miss in the neighborhood of 10-12 games. It's highly unlikely the 49ers lose another player as important as Crabtree between now and Week 1, making him the obvious candidate for the team's lone "return" tag. Unless your redraft league is exceptionally deep, there's little reason to use a late-round flier on Crabtree.
Source: CSN Bay Area

Jul 19 - 11:10 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

49ers placed WR Michael Crabtree (Achilles' tear) on the active/PUP list.

It's a relevant move because active/PUP means Crabtree will open the 2013 season on the reserve/PUP list, costing him the first six games. He's not going to be the Niners' injured reserve/designated for return player. Doctors have reportedly told coach Jim Harbaugh that Crabtree's recovery is going "great," and the 49ers still expect him to play late this season. In all likelihood, Crabtree won't be back in action until Week 11 or 12 at soonest. And he probably won't be his old self before 2014. Crabtree isn't worth a fantasy pick in re-draft leagues.
Source: Matt Maiocco on Twitter

Jul 22 - 4:17 PM

aarrgghh

Senior Junior Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers Blog and Q&A: Crabtree injury: May gloom can end in February brilliance

I landed at San Francisco International Airport last night, turned on my phone for the first time in eight days and discovered 6,728 messages (only a slight exaggeration). Some thoughts on what prompted that flurry of activity:

* It's hard to overstate Michael Crabtree's importance to the 49ers' passing game. He obviously was Colin Kaepernick's favorite receiver (a whopping 92 targets in the 10 games Kaepernick started) last season, and moreover was Kaepernick's go-to receiver on critical plays and third downs. San Francisco's final attempts to score at the end of the Super Bowl clearly illustrate Kaepernick's comfort and confidence in Crabtree.

The doom and gloom about the 49ers' 2013 prospects, however, aren't taking into account recent history. Terrell Suggs' Achilles injury last year has been cited often in the last week because the Ravens' inside linebacker was able to return to field at midseason (Oct. 21). But it's perhaps more notable because the Ravens ended up winning the Super Bowl. The same apocalyptic headlines about the 49ers were being applied to the Ravens at this time last year. In fact, Baltimore dealt with major injuries to Suggs and inside linebacker Ray Lewis and still won a championship. Which is to say that injuries, including springtime injuries, can be overcome.

And you can bet Jim Harbaugh will find a way to use Crabtree's injury as a psychological advantage. It only reinforces the us-vs.-the world, band-of-brothers mentality the 49ers head coach has successfully fostered in Santa Clara.

* The bad news about the Suggs comparison ... The Ravens linebacker suffered his injury a bit earlier than Crabtree, on April 29. What's more significant is that Suggs' was a partial tear. Crabtree's reportedly is a complete tear. It not only will take longer for the tendon to heal, it will take longer for the muscles in Crabtree's right leg - especially his calf - to be back to full strength. Crabtree's game centers around making sharp cuts and exploding upfield. The big question now is when he will be able to regain that explosion.

* The key for the 49ers is third down. According to STATS LLC, Crabtree ranked fifth in the league last year with 22 catches in which the 49ers converted third downs into first downs. What's more, he ranked second when the scenario was third-and-7 or longer. He caught 11 such passes while Indianapolis' Reggie Wayne caught 12. As you'll recall, Crabtree caught many of those passes well short of the first-down marker and then bulled his way through the defense for first downs.

* Who takes over that role? Anquan Boldin is the obvious choice. He led the Ravens with 16 catches that converted third downs to first downs and eight that converted third-and-longs to first downs (in 15 starts). That doesn't include the critical third-and-short conversion in the Super Bowl in which he was well-covered by Carlos Rogers.

* What about Randy Moss? The veteran receiver wants to play in 2013 and remains an option. However, the 49ers know what they have in Moss. What they don't know is what they have in players like A.J. Jenkins, Quinton Patton and Ricardo Lockette (whom I wrote about last week). Unless the 49ers sense that another team may snap up Moss, it makes sense to hold off for now at least while those younger players get critical exposure during OTAs and minicamps.

* One more note: Another shame as far as Crabtree's injury is that it came the same day as the 49ers' and the Bay Area's Super Bowl L achievement and overshadowed Jed York's triumph. The area landed the marquee Super Bowl because York was able to build a stadium in California, something no other NFL has been able to do. That deserves a bow.
I loved Kaepernick's answer when he was asked why he threw to Crabtree as often as he did. He said (looking slightly annoyed - you know what I mean) "He's open".

I like watching all the naysayers trying to shred this kid. He's the biggest star in the NFL. There are valid reasons for that. I can't wait for the first preseason game.

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I loved Kaepernick's answer when he was asked why he threw to Crabtree as often as he did. He said (looking slightly annoyed - you know what I mean) "He's open".

I like watching all the naysayers trying to shred this kid. He's the biggest star in the NFL. There are valid reasons for that. I can't wait for the first preseason game.

don't think we're going to see a whole lot of Kaep in Pre-Season? i'd guess basic pass plays of all lengths, but no fancy pass patterns and certainly no running.

what I would like to see is a unified O-line in pass protect? pretty sure they'll be good in the run game, so start off well in pass protect. "unified" meaning more about mental mistakes when they help each other out.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm only looking forward to the Chiefs game in pre-season. The vanilla playcalling makes pre-season pretty boring, but I like the storylines like Alex's 1st game against us. Should be cool.

aarrgghh

Senior Junior Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't think we're going to see a whole lot of Kaep in Pre-Season? i'd guess basic pass plays of all lengths, but no fancy pass patterns and certainly no running.

what I would like to see is a unified O-line in pass protect? pretty sure they'll be good in the run game, so start off well in pass protect. "unified" meaning more about mental mistakes when they help each other out.
Agree absolutely. That said. I've seen every (49ers) play he's had X times (where X = circa ad infinitum). I want to see new footage of our undisputed, franchise quarterback.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
word is he is coming along. Cant wait to get him back. Anyone know if this injury has a better chance of happening again?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I want to see him take a lot of snaps behind the center in the 3rd preseason game.