• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys think we had a bad draft!

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They could all end up being a projects, but the numbers favor we'll get something from a few of them sooner than later unless they get injured.

I don't think Patton will blow anyone away but could function as a versatile possession receiver and benefit from the system. He'll also be going against #3's and mismatches from shifting into the slot. Carradine could be a project, but should get thrown into the fire a lot this year because we need to keep J. Smith healthy. And he'll benefit with a streamlined role like A. Smith was when he was a rookie. McDonald might not get a lot of passes thrown his way, but has a very good chance to contribute doing the small stuff that Walker did.

I'll be pretty bummed if two of those four don't step in quickly and surprise this year because they each are in a good situation.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
typically, the previous draft class is more important to the upcoming season. odds aren't high this time, but it could still happen?

should AJ seize the starting spot and with LMJ doing all the returns?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. So we'll just have to see. He's going to have a real opportunity. Who knows what he'll do with it?

You think so? Could be, now that Crabtree and Manningham are down but I've been hearing that he is a real project who needs a LOT of work. I figured they took him for down the road.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Qualifying JJ as some sort of draft expert is like asking the guy I just fired for incompetency to run my business. That's just stupid logic. JJ hasn't had a quality draft since Jimmy Johnson was doing his draft for him. I take ZERO interest in what Jerry Jones has to say about ANYONE's draft.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You think so? Could be, now that Crabtree and Manningham are down but I've been hearing that he is a real project who needs a LOT of work. I figured they took him for down the road.

Of course he's going to have a real opportunity. Right now he's competing with AJ Jenkins, Ricardo Lockette, Marlon Moore, and Chad Hall. Those aren't exactly big names. He's still not the favorite to win the job, but I don't see why he wouldn't be right in the mix.

As far as needing a lot of work, I haven't heard that. Maiocco mentioned something about him being raw in terms of routes. Based on reports of that particular practice, my impression was that Maiocco drew that conclusion in large part because Patton was covered well by Darryl Morris, and UDFA, on a couple deep balls. Maiocco mentioned the fact that Crabtree does a good job of disguising his routes in order to get deep despite average (generously) speed, and that Patton didn't seem to be doing that. Morris ran a 4.33 at his pro day, though, including a 1.48 10-yard split. Even accounting for a faster surface, those times are elite. Patton's ability to beat a guy with that kind of speed deep isn't a huge concern for me at this point.

All the reviews I've read about Patton suggest he's pretty polished for a college player, and has a very strong work ethic. So we'll see. I don't think they expected to use him right away when they picked him, but things change, as we've seen with Crabtree.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Going back to the original post. Actually the title of the post. I'm not sure if this was already addressed as I don't remember everything that was talked about throughout this thread but it's not necessarily a true statement to say that the Cowboys thought the 49ers had a bad draft based on their player rankings. They ranked players based on their team, their principles, their values, and their standards. It's completely possible that they'd think highly of the 49ers draft if they looked at it from a 49ers perspective.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I was attempting to say was that I ONLY saw him once so don't know much about him.

So you don't know much about him after seeing him play just once, yet you're already calling him a project? If your prognostications are as goofy as the ones you made with the Dubbs, I like Patton's chances of succeeding in this league.

Pharcyde

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going back to the original post. Actually the title of the post. I'm not sure if this was already addressed as I don't remember everything that was talked about throughout this thread but it's not necessarily a true statement to say that the Cowboys thought the 49ers had a bad draft based on their player rankings. They ranked players based on their team, their principles, their values, and their standards. It's completely possible that they'd think highly of the 49ers draft if they looked at it from a 49ers perspective.

Wasn't going for complete facts with the title! I thought it was an amusing thing that the cowboys again had their board leaked!