• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys Free Agent talk

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well don't play his game and on July 15th without a deal rescind the Franchise tag and let him walk
Why in the World would we do that? That would be the worst possible thing we could do. So you let him walk and you don't get a nice pick back in return? How does that help this team?

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys probably need to make offer at 21 million. IDK what to think about the cap. We have seen these nasty negotiations across the nfl. As it stands now we will have very little pass rush without DLaw. I would prefer to do a sign and trade with him though. Just think he is being a Dbag.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why in the World would we do that? That would be the worst possible thing we could do. So you let him walk and you don't get a nice pick back in return? How does that help this team?
And if he refuses to sign the tag and doesn't report do we just tie up 20+M for the year? That is what could happen or he waits until TC is over, signs it, announce he is going to have the surgery and sit on his butt for the 3 or 4 months it takes to recover and we pay him 20+M for a wasted season. In either scenario we are handcuffed financially.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if he refuses to sign the tag and doesn't report do we just tie up 20+M for the year? That is what could happen or he waits until TC is over, signs it, announce he is going to have the surgery and sit on his butt for the 3 or 4 months it takes to recover and we pay him 20+M for a wasted season. In either scenario we are handcuffed financially.
If he doesn't report we have $20M to use on other players or roll into next year. We have a lot of players to resign in the next couple of years. That $20M would be an incredible help towards that goal.

If he doesn't have surgery by July he totally screws himself. What if we did pull the tag on him? Then no one signs him at all or at least no one gives him a big deal if he isn't going to play next year or miss a huge chunk and he will harm his reputation big time if he pulls a stunt like that. Think he wants to risk losing out on cashing in? I don't. I don't know where this idea of him waiting on the surgery until he got a deal came from but it's ludicrous and I call total BS. There is no chance of that. If his agent mentioned it the Cowboys they should have immediately got up from the table and said call us when he has the surgery and then we will start talking.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pull the Franchise Tag and then Transistion Tag him. Let him negotiate with other teams, you can then match the offer or take the draft picks.
I like this idea :agree:
Dont let the player dictate to the whole team. Keep some control.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he doesn't report we have $20M to use on other players or roll into next year. We have a lot of players to resign in the next couple of years. That $20M would be an incredible help towards that goal.

If he doesn't have surgery by July he totally screws himself. What if we did pull the tag on him? Then no one signs him at all or at least no one gives him a big deal if he isn't going to play next year or miss a huge chunk and he will harm his reputation big time if he pulls a stunt like that. Think he wants to risk losing out on cashing in? I don't. I don't know where this idea of him waiting on the surgery until he got a deal came from but it's ludicrous and I call total BS. There is no chance of that. If his agent mentioned it the Cowboys they should have immediately got up from the table and said call us when he has the surgery and then we will start talking.
From what I heard his agent told the Cowboys exactly that. He said Tank will not have the surgery until he has a contract

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I heard his agent told the Cowboys exactly that. He said Tank will not have the surgery until he has a contract
I heard that too which is why I said that. It's an empty threat. It makes no sense whatsoever. I don't think Tank thought of that crap. If his agent thought it was a threat to the Cowboys they should have called him on it. It makes zero sense whatsoever to take that stance. If Lawrence some how becomes a Free Agent he will find it hard to convince another team he is worth more than the $120M the Cowboys offered him. Him needing surgery and not actually getting it yet would crush his value in the open market. I can't imagine any team would give him a huge deal with a surgery like that pending. It's hard to even fathom that strategy.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Cowboys should have got this deal done last season. If they had, the price would have been 17-18. They asked the guy to prove it again..he did. Their original offer was last year's price, but the player earned the raise. Offer 21 and tell him if he doesn't sign then pick a team he wants to be traded to and ask him to sign the tag once deal is negotiated. He would take 21 IMO

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Cowboys should have got this deal done last season. If they had, the price would have been 17-18. They asked the guy to prove it again..he did. Their original offer was last year's price, but the player earned the raise. Offer 21 and tell him if he doesn't sign then pick a team he wants to be traded to and ask him to sign the tag once deal is negotiated. He would take 21 IMO
I didnt blame the Cowboys for asking him to prove it. We all knew it would cost more if he did. 20 mil is more.
If D-law asked for 20 mil a year & the cowboys agreed. Then he said Now I want 22.5 mil a year. To me that goes to character. I am ok with telling him to fuck off.

Reactions: GNG

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt blame the Cowboys for asking him to prove it. We all knew it would cost more if he did. 20 mil is more.
If D-law asked for 20 mil a year & the cowboys agreed. Then he said Now I want 22.5 mil a year. To me that goes to character. I am ok with telling him to fuck off.
I don't either, but I also don't blame the player after they made a BS initial offer. $17 is a joke. They will settle around $21 and we will have a great pass rush

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't either, but I also don't blame the player after they made a BS initial offer. $17 is a joke. They will settle around $21 and we will have a great pass rush

This is exactly the way the cousin contract negotiations went. The team always offered what cuz wanted the previous year, and cuz felt it to be an insult so he’d come back with higher than original ask. The only difference is that cuz happily signed the tag. The cost of the tag prices are starting to get so high the players are starting to get leverage with them

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, we are kind of stuck here - a kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. We can't trade him, because he isn't under contract. We can't cut him, because then we get nothing for him. We can't just give in to his demands because it's too much and it sets a bad precedent. Our only hope is that he will meet in between the 20 and 22.5 at 21.25.

The BS about the surgery, though, is DLaw's agent talking him into some stoooopid position. That threat puts both the team and the individual player at a much higher risk. We can't give even 20 mill per year to a player who may not be worth it. He certainly won't get 20 from another team if he waits too long.

My advice to him is go get your surgery and you will be in a much better position to negotiate. This holding off on the surgery is a threat that has no upside for any team or for the individual player. And, while you're at it, fire your agent and get one who actually has your interest at heart.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, we are kind of stuck here - a kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. We can't trade him, because he isn't under contract. We can't cut him, because then we get nothing for him. We can't just give in to his demands because it's too much and it sets a bad precedent. Our only hope is that he will meet in between the 20 and 22.5 at 21.25.

The BS about the surgery, though, is DLaw's agent talking him into some stoooopid position. That threat puts both the team and the individual player at a much higher risk. We can't give even 20 mill per year to a player who may not be worth it. He certainly won't get 20 from another team if he waits too long.

My advice to him is go get your surgery and you will be in a much better position to negotiate. This holding off on the surgery is a threat that has no upside for any team or for the individual player. And, while you're at it, fire your agent and get one who actually has your interest at heart.

You’re at the point now, where you either give him what he wants, or let him hit FA and take the comp pick.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that is a joke for a first offer at all. A first offer is never your best offer and Dee Ford just signed for $17M and no DE makes over $18M and the only two pass rushing OLB that make over $17M are Von Miller and Mack and he is neither. Heck, the more I think about it the more I wonder if even $20M is too high. :scratch:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You’re at the point now, where you either give him what he wants, or let him hit FA and take the comp pick.
We can do a lot better in a trade than we would with a comp pick

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can do a lot better in a trade than we would with a comp pick
one would think so.

Today they were talking about a 3rd round pick is about all you'd get if that should they seek a trade this summer and he'd still not had his surgery

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that is a joke for a first offer at all. A first offer is never your best offer and Dee Ford just signed for $17M and no DE makes over $18M and the only two pass rushing OLB that make over $17M are Von Miller and Mack and he is neither. Heck, the more I think about it the more I wonder if even $20M is too high. :scratch:
If it wasn't a joke they wouldn't have jumped $3 million. It's a sales tactic, super low ball followed by the number you really want him at, which is a little low but seems like your compromise number. Jerry will come up to $21-22 for 5 years but will be able to get out of it early on his terms. He's a good salesman. Just my less than 25 cent opinion

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pull the Franchise Tag and then Transistion Tag him. Let him negotiate with other teams, you can then match the offer or take the draft picks.
I like this idea especially if he goes through with his threat of not doing the surgery and does not take 21 million per even though that is too much.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it wasn't a joke they wouldn't have jumped $3 million. It's a sales tactic, super low ball followed by the number you really want him at, which is a little low but seems like your compromise number. Jerry will come up to $21-22 for 5 years but will be able to get out of it early on his terms. He's a good salesman. Just my less than 25 cent opinion

And... I find it difficult to believe DLaw can look at what happened with Le’veon Bell and his decision... and come to the conclusion he can recover monies lost if he pulled the same thing. They will find a meeting point. And the surgery will be done in time for the season.