• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys Free Agent talk

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope so...otherwise, I think D Law got screwed over by his agent more than anything
I just remember his comments last season. Happily signed the tag, said he wanted to be a Cowboy for life, then went out and had a great season. I think he genuinely thought they would pay him after the season. Insulted and hurt IMO. Would love for them to work it out, team is improved with all the signings

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it wasn't a joke they wouldn't have jumped $3 million. It's a sales tactic, super low ball followed by the number you really want him at, which is a little low but seems like your compromise number. Jerry will come up to $21-22 for 5 years but will be able to get out of it early on his terms. He's a good salesman. Just my less than 25 cent opinion
But isn't that every negotiation ever? Look around the league at comparable guys and $17M is his sweet spot. Maybe $18M to $18.5M because he is better against the run than guys like Ford. But $23M is a jump to guys that are just much better than him and only got their contracts about 9 months ago. It's not like Mack and Donald signed three years ago like Miller

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pull the Franchise Tag and then Transistion Tag him. Let him negotiate with other teams, you can then match the offer or take the draft picks.
I don't think that is accurate. I don't think you get compensation with the Transition tag. I think that is the non-exclusive franchise tag you are referring to and I think that is the one they placed on him already.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just remember his comments last season. Happily signed the tag, said he wanted to be a Cowboy for life, then went out and had a great season. I think he genuinely thought they would pay him after the season. Insulted and hurt IMO. Would love for them to work it out, team is improved with all the signings
I remember those comments and remember thinking how great it was and it really upped my opinion of him. I looked at him as the complete opposite of guys like Bell that just came off selfish and greedy. But they are now offering him $120M. That is paying him and taking his current stance makes him indeed look nothing but greedy.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that is accurate. I don't think you get compensation with the Transition tag. I think that is the non-exclusive franchise tag you are referring to and I think that is the one they placed on him already.

You are correct, I had the wrong tag name and it truth I didn't realize there are TWO different Franchise Tags.
I assumed DLaw was of the exclusive version as I thought I heard he could only negotiate with the Cowboys

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember those comments and remember thinking how great it was and it really upped my opinion of him. I looked at him as the complete opposite of guys like Bell that just came off selfish and greedy. But they are now offering him $120M. That is paying him and taking his current stance makes him indeed look nothing but greedy.
what makes it worse is he didnt start at 22.5 (23+). Which to me might be normal to start off trying to get more than he should. Knowing they would get worked down some. They asked for 20 mil per. Then when he got it they said now we want more.

I hope we can afford to play hardball like the steelers did with bell. Keep him under the tag (if what you posted to manster is true) I think D-Law saw how it worked out for Bell. Which means if we dont pay, he would sign to get traded (since he is looking for the money only it seems) before losing a year of his prime. Even if he got what he wanted next year. He wouldnt recoup the 20.5 mil he would lose this year.

Also quick question.
I assume we have to hold back 20.5 mil for cap space for just in case he signs the fran tag.
If he sits the whole year, do we get to push that 20.5 mil that never got used into next season?
If we are gonna lose him anyways, that might be a blessing in disguise with the so many other contracts coming up.

Of course I wanted to keep him, but if we are losing him just saying.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct, I had the wrong tag name and it truth I didn't realize there are TWO different Franchise Tags.
I assumed DLaw was of the exclusive version as I thought I heard he could only negotiate with the Cowboys
Then I would tell him he has permission to talk to other teams about a deal and trade. Maybe some stupid team like the Jets would offer him more than we are willing to and offers a couple of #1's and a late to mid round pick

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what makes it worse is he didnt start at 22.5 (23+). Which to me might be normal to start off trying to get more than he should. Knowing they would get worked down some. They asked for 20 mil per. Then when he got it they said now we want more.

I hope we can afford to play hardball like the steelers did with bell. Keep him under the tag (if what you posted to manster is true) I think D-Law saw how it worked out for Bell. Which means if we dont pay, he would sign to get traded (since he is looking for the money only it seems) before losing a year of his prime. Even if he got what he wanted next year. He wouldnt recoup the 20.5 mil he would lose this year.

Also quick question.
I assume we have to hold back 20.5 mil for cap space for just in case he signs the fran tag.
If he sits the whole year, do we get to push that 20.5 mil that never got used into next season?
If we are gonna lose him anyways, that might be a blessing in disguise with the so many other contracts coming up.

Of course I wanted to keep him, but if we are losing him just saying.

Right now I'm pissed off with DLaw for that very reason.

As for the money yes the team has to hold onto it just in case and yes they can carry any unused portion into 2020.

His salary will also be prorated, so if he does sign late that money could also be carried into 2020.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then I would tell him he has permission to talk to other teams about a deal and trade. Maybe some stupid team like the Jets would offer him more than we are willing to and offers a couple of #1's and a late to mid round pick
I'd think his agent should know this. I'm guessing other teams don't want to do Dallas' work for them, and then hand over draft capital if they do.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd think his agent should know this. I'm guessing other teams don't want to do Dallas' work for them, and then hand over draft capital if they do.
yeah 23 mil a year & lose your 1st & whatever would be a steep price to pay.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe some stupid team like the Jets would offer him more than we are willing to and offers a couple of #1's and a late to mid round pick
Even the Jets aren't that stupid.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they made some free agent moves and might feel adding a DLaw type player might move them into playoff contenders
that would be scary actually. I think they are already right there close.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather let DLaw go to another team (insert whatever draft compensation) and be able to keep Dak, Zeke, Byron, and Jaylon for their next contracts (5+ years). I don't see this guy as a top 5 defender, and if you want to press me, he isn't even top defender on our team. He doesn't have that impact that top players have.
Hell, here's an idea. Trade him for two 2nds and a DE that costs only a few million. Sign Suh for a year for 12 of those million dollars and see just how bad we miss DLaw.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really like what we got going on with the roster. It is paramount they agree with DLaw though. Really liked quinn coming out of NC. cobb if healthy is a great weapon. Iloka is far better than heath. Witten will compliment Jarwin and schultz. Frederick coming back will be huge