• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cotton Bowl: Clemson vs. Notre Dame

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@NDGreg talking to himself again? Sure looks like it.

NDGreg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're still watching me, so tell me what you think.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure am just wanting to know how you're thinking this game's gonna go.

No idea. I’ll take any win and if they lose I hope it’s at least close.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, things just got interesting. Not too worried though. Huggins would be starting at 95% of the other P5 schools. We'll be just fine. I hope ..:hope:

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The talent on the O line is great. Experience is a bit of a hurt point. This particular group is good for this season. But still not anywhere near as good as last year. However I would say this O line is the top 10 to 20 in college football this year.

What I expect to happen is the ND OC to use fast movement to move back the LB and keep that front 4 in coverage instead of constant blitz mode. In the last few games of this year, we saw a lot more screen game than we had in the front half of the season. And they paid off well. Mainly because the opposition was trying to bring extra pressure against ND's dink and dunk offense.

The commentators are going to make a huge deal out of completion % of the ND QB (Ian Book) mainly though those passes are 10 to 12 yards forward. Fast high percentage throws are his main stay right now. But against Clemson's pass rush and CB's I don't see that being as successful. And no one in college, Bama included is going to just line up and run basic RB draws and A gap rushes against the Clemson front 4.

Most of the commentators are talking about the Clemson D vs the ND O. Since both of those are the best match ups of the night. I am actually more interested in the ND D vs the Clemson O. ND hasn't seen a QB - RB tandem nearly as good as Clemson all year. And to a lot of ND fans, the ND defense has been under rated all year. They won ND at least 2 games this year, and kept them the first 4 when there could have been at least 2 losses there.

Either way I think this is a better game than many are giving it. Hopefully even in a loss ND can put up a great game, and shake that 2012 championship and '15 Fiesta Bowl mentality the country has about ND.
The quick pass game does works against Coach V. Before A&M and South Carolina got hot on offense, it was the quick game that got things going for them making Clemson more hesitant to bring more pressure. Clemson does give a lot of different looks and #1 in getting pressure on the QB, I think the main key to this side of the ball is can Book make quick throws and decisions under pressure with success?

I think the ND D vs Clemson O can be the determining factor of the game. The key is how much can ND slow the run? If they can slow the run, the game will be close, if ND can shut the run down, ND can win. My biggest concern is Clemson OL is good and not elite, against better run defenses, Clemson has struggled, I can see ND having success. A balance Clemson O is nearly impossible to stop. Stop the run and make TL win the game, he may or may not have a good game :noidea:

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you think a freshman Lawrence Will get shook or stay calm on the big stage? I know ND has a rookie quarterback also, but it seems like Clemson has more to lose?
Every week we have questioned how Lawerence will do and he has passed those test for the most part. I think he will be ok, he's great at throwing short to mid range passes, deep ball is hit or miss. He also don't make too many mistakes, only has 4 Ints so far. He's sometimes clumsy with the ball like RB handoffs, scrambling, handling the snap but most of those mistakes was when he was first starting, maybe the nerves will cause a silly turnover. His biggest weakness right now is he probably holding on to the ball too long

IrishBlooded

Bewbs or it didn't happen
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The quick pass game does works against Coach V. Before A&M and South Carolina got hot on offense, it was the quick game that got things going for them making Clemson more hesitant to bring more pressure. Clemson does give a lot of different looks and #1 in getting pressure on the QB, I think the main key to this side of the ball is can Book make quick throws and decisions under pressure with success?

I think the ND D vs Clemson O can be the determining factor of the game. The key is how much can ND slow the run? If they can slow the run, the game will be close, if ND can shut the run down, ND can win. My biggest concern is Clemson OL is good and not elite, against better run defenses, Clemson has struggled, I can see ND having success. A balance Clemson O is nearly impossible to stop. Stop the run and make TL win the game, he may or may not have a good game :noidea:

ND has to run the ball to win. Clemson doesn't HAVE to. That is a huge difference.

If ND doesn't have 100 yards rushing I would be 99% willing to guarantee that ND doesn't win.

Two things ND NEEDS to go their way.

1. They can't win a shoot out. So to your point. They have to control the running ability of Clemson. Etienne is going to get yards. There is no chance he doesn't get some plays. However he has to kept contained and not allow the 'big play'. And that is one thing that ND has done well both in the rush and pass game all year. They haven't given up 'big plays' of 30 yards or more much at all this year. The only times they really have is when they almost set it up to happen that way because of situational defense.

2. They have to control ToP. In order to keep the shoot out from happening. And to do that, they have to win at the offensive LoS. And that is why the run game is so terribly important for ND. Like I said. Clemson has the ability to win without a very balanced run game. ND has almost no chance of an upset if they can't win in the run game. Without D Lawrence on the D line that is a huge help. The second string is good for Clemson, but they aren't elite like the starters. So Clemson losing their best interior D Linemen will help ND no doubt. So what extent. We will see.

If both teams line up and play to 100% of their ability, I think Clemson wins by 10 or 12. However. If they slip, anywhere, and gift ND a TD, now we are talking 3 to 5 points different. And I think Clemson is more mortal than some think. So it will be on ND to look for those chances and seize them when possible.

So here is to a great game. Honestly if ND doesn't win, it isn't like I am going to stop rooting for ND. If 2012 and all the Weis and Willingham years didn't do it. Kelly isn't going to either. But I think this will be a better game than most expect. I think too many people think this is ND 2012 all over again.

NDGreg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm officially palm sweating... Usually happens on Saturday morning, but shit... Clemson! Can't wait, but I can wait.

NDGreg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey cwalke, you get nervous for big games? You got any crazy superstitions?

NDGreg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what about u poewelch?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the samples were positive which means no Lawrence. Clemson fans can talk up the back up all they want but he isn't the caliber of Lawrence.