• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cotton Bowl: Clemson vs. Notre Dame

_rolltideroll_

4 out of 3 people have trouble with basic math...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're afraid of the dark . Turn that Bama nightlight on and dont lie restless, worrying about that 5'9" Heisman winner.
I don't have anything against the Domers, it's just the clumps year. IF we make it past Boomer, we are going to get our shit pushed in too.

NDGreg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sure ND has less talent then Clemson, but ND has a total team. If I was coaching a team I would rather have a whole team playing as a team then just having 4 or 5 awesome players.

NDGreg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't the 2012 Irish...they don't finger tackle. Y'all will see.

michigaNDer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have anything against the Domers, it's just the clumps year. IF we make it past Boomer, we are going to get our shit pushed in too.
We shall see. Hope we both make it. Playing Clemson and Bama for all the marbles would be a good year in itself.

IrishBlooded

Bewbs or it didn't happen
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is still a ton of questions I have about this team against Clemson.

We all know that ND has a decent offense, and we all know that Clemson has a great defense.

The question will be how is it the other way around. How well can the ND secondary especially hold up against Lawrence all day. ND hasn't seen that dynamic of a play maker with this good of an O line all year. I think the closest would have been Stanford. But without their running game, they were nothing.

I expect the obvious to happen. Clemson's RB is going to get his yards in, no matter what. ND's QB is going to get the ball out fast and to the outside to combat against the teeth of the Clemson front four.

But without getting too commentatorish, what will be the big X factor. Clemson has been to this game 4 years in a row. So the lights and the stage won't get to them. But will the Irish squad be too worried about avenging the 2012 game? Will Kelly stay out of the play calling, and let Chip call the offense.

ND has all the chips against them. No one is picking them to win, and in some ways that will help with the expectations game. So we will see how it works when it hits the field.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the key to ND success on offense is if they explore the middle of the field through the air and do it often. Our LB's have been beaten all year and our Safety, Tanner Muse, is known to miss an assignment or two.

michigaNDer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is still a ton of questions I have about this team against Clemson.

We all know that ND has a decent offense, and we all know that Clemson has a great defense.

The question will be how is it the other way around. How well can the ND secondary especially hold up against Lawrence all day. ND hasn't seen that dynamic of a play maker with this good of an O line all year. I think the closest would have been Stanford. But without their running game, they were nothing.

I expect the obvious to happen. Clemson's RB is going to get his yards in, no matter what. ND's QB is going to get the ball out fast and to the outside to combat against the teeth of the Clemson front four.

But without getting too commentatorish, what will be the big X factor. Clemson has been to this game 4 years in a row. So the lights and the stage won't get to them. But will the Irish squad be too worried about avenging the 2012 game? Will Kelly stay out of the play calling, and let Chip call the offense.

ND has all the chips against them. No one is picking them to win, and in some ways that will help with the expectations game. So we will see how it works when it hits the field.
I think they'll be just fine. Kelly has had these guys ready for every big game, this year. I'll chalk USC up to fatigue from the extensive traveling, and to be honest, they weren't really up for that game. I'll give USC credit too for that first qtr, but even Herbstriet said they looked like they were asleep.
Clemson has it's own question marks. I'm sure they're working on them.

txTIGER1963

ONE TOKE OVER THE LINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 417.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the key to ND success on offense is if they explore the middle of the field through the air and do it often. Our LB's have been beaten all year and our Safety, Tanner Muse, is known to miss an assignment or two.

if it goes like it has all year and we get no holding calls called when playing D our secondary is in deep doodoo

I see a scar game replay with just having to out score them
problem is nd is better on d than scar

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if it goes like it has all year and we get no holding calls called when playing D our secondary is in deep doodoo

I see a scar game replay with just having to out score them
problem is nd is better on d than scar
Yea, I've noticed the lack of holding calls this year. I mean plays where 7, 42, 90, or 99 actually gets turned around from the grab and nothing, no flag.

And yes, our secondary is definitely the weak link this year. Just hope we can get pressure on Book and get him to make hasty decisions/ turnovers.

IrishBlooded

Bewbs or it didn't happen
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Book makes his numbers on quick, high percentage passes. He has been exposed a few times when being forced to the long ball. So it will be interesting to see what he can do with the extra practices. He is still way superior in the passing game to Wimbush so I am glad he is the guy. This is something he has been getting better at. But he is no where near the quality that Lawrence is in that department. Book is a great utility QB. But he isn't heisman quality by any stretch of the means.

I expect to see more of the screen game this game. Which is something that hasn't been used nearly as much this year thus far. Because I expect Bret V to aggressive to push Book to make throws he doesn't want to. ND's O-line is no push over. And will be the best line that Clemson has seen this year. But the Clemson front 4 will by far be the best talent and coaching that ND has seen this season.

I do agree with that Clemson has a weakness in the 12 to 20 yard throw. So will be interesting to see what is moved around to sow that up. That is a place that Chip Long (ND OC) likes to attack, especially with the big TE's that ND uses.

NDGreg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone I can't even read any of those books that you guys, just.

RubinRock

Has a Well-Known Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone I can't even read any of those books that you guys, just.
3sPY.gif

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sure ND has less talent then Clemson, but ND has a total team. If I was coaching a team I would rather have a whole team playing as a team then just having 4 or 5 awesome players.

Kid, I like your spunk. I agree that ND is a well-rounded team, as I said back on Page 2 in my analysis. But these are the playoffs, and Clemson and Bama are both also well-rounded teams. And the latter two are in the top 10 in virtually every single statistic, and top 5 in most. Notre Dame is the #9 scoring defense, but outside of that, all of its stats are in the 20s and 30s (except rushing offense, where you're in the 50s). It's impressive to be top 35 in every statistic, and is a testament to how well-built this team is.

I don't think the spread is disrespectful. That's just how it looks right now. Clemson is the #5 offense and the #1 defense. Notre Dame is the ~#30 offense and ~#20 defense, playing similar schedules. Notre Dame is undefeated, so they're legit. But they've had a lot of bumps along the way. Even after Book took over, they struggled horribly against a 5-7 USC, they struggled against Northwestern, and they struggled against Pittsburgh. Since Trevor Lawrence took over, Clemson is beating teams by 38.8 points, and their closest game was a 20-point, away, night game at Boston College. It makes sense that the experts thing Clemson will control the game.

I do find ND fans weird. Sure, Lawrence is a freshman, and it's understandable to think he could play that way (he hasn't done so yet, but it's possible). But 90% of Notre Dame posts I've seen on all forums have been about two things. (1) Clemson caring only about Alabama, and so will overlook Notre Dame. Does anyone actually think Dabo will have his team overlooking an undefeated team that beat Michigan? Really? (2) They don't want to hear about 2012, but bring up Clemson beating Notre Dame in a close win in 2015. How the hell does that work? Yeah, Clemson had a close, early season win over Notre Dame where Deshaun played really badly. But these are two completely different teams than 4 years ago.

I don't think Clemson stomps Notre Dame. They're a good team. But I do think they win, and if you're hoping that Clemson's just going to overlook Notre Dame, keep hoping.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a bad dream last night that we got our ass kicked 49-14

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No question I'll be rooting for the winner of this game to take the whole thing.

That said go get you some Golden Domers! Get you some of that alter boy dome!