• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Conference Finals: Washington Capitals v. Tampa Bay Lightning

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was upset when Eller extended and am even more upset now. He's having a terrific playoffs.

Yeah, this whole year has been a breakout year for Eller, and he's gotten stronger as the season and playoffs have gone along. Strongest Caps' team down the middle we've had in the last decade with Kuzy, Backstrom, Eller, and Beagle.

What they've been able to do without having #19 in the lineup the last 3 games is incredible - they closed out against the Pens and then whooped the Lightning. Remember too that the Caps have only had 1 home game in May so far with 5 of their last 6 games played being on the road.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's really no way to explain it other than to say once again the NHL is the most unpredictable of all the sports. The Caps have had far better personnel in the past, yet here they are.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's really no way to explain it other than to say once again the NHL is the most unpredictable of all the sports. The Caps have had far better personnel in the past, yet here they are.
I mean, have they? Like eloco said they are as solid up the middle as they’ve ever been. Kuznetsov is better at more things than Semin ever was at his peak. Carlson is continuing his magnificent output from the regular season. Holtby’s back in form. Oshie’s been as good as ever. They have an effective 4th line. And they’ve done a lot of this with an injured Backstrom (and Burakovsky, for that matter).

Where were these more-talented Caps teams over the years? I think people are just conflating a more prolific Ovechkin from years past with more talented teams overall.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely did not see the Caps being up 2-0 or the way they have dominated in both of those games.:clap:

Really refreshing watching this team play free and loose with the 5000 lbs gorilla off their back. No gripping the sticks and waiting for something bad to happen. I'm shocked the way they're kicking tampa's ass so far. Keep it going at home!

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...Kuznetsov is better at more things than Semin ever was at his peak.

Semin: "That not true. Kuzy will not play bongo like me!"

16pzD.gif

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, have they? Like eloco said they are as solid up the middle as they’ve ever been. Kuznetsov is better at more things than Semin ever was at his peak. Carlson is continuing his magnificent output from the regular season. Holtby’s back in form. Oshie’s been as good as ever. They have an effective 4th line. And they’ve done a lot of this with an injured Backstrom (and Burakovsky, for that matter).

Where were these more-talented Caps teams over the years? I think people are just conflating a more prolific Ovechkin from years past with more talented teams overall.

Oh no there was much discussion over the salary dumps from last year. They lost 6 players who accounted for 24% of their scoring and a promising young defensemen to the expansion draft. Hell at the start of the season there was talk about just making the playoffs.

It was the general consensus that this team was not as good as last year by virtually everyone, especially here in DC. Most had them as the best team in the league last year but nobody saw that with this team. Jeez when the Conference Finals started I saw "expert" ratings and just about all of them had the Capitals as the 4th best team.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So the answer is "Yes, this Caps' team is better." And the answer is also "No this Caps' team is not." ;) Let me break it down...

LUCK & PEAKING
The early 2010s teams were loaded with talent. Not the best defensive teams, but frankly much better defensively than last year's Pens' teams that won the Cup. The 2010 team ran headlong into Halak. That team absolutely dominated that series but Halak rose to the task and shut down a team that might have won the Cup had they advanced for all we know. There is luck involved. Timing. Guys peaking. Partly this team is just hitting maximum effort and effiiciency at the right time. Last year's team was definitely just as good if not better, but they didn't peak at the right time.

BETTER DOWN THE MIDDLE
Kuzy, Backstrom, Eller, and Beagle is a strong center column. Some of those guys have stepped up and moved up a line at times as well during these playoffs. We talk about how centers make a bigger difference than wingers. And these guys are making a huge difference.

FASTER & BETTER YOUTH/VET BALANCE
While we lost bigger names and key guys like Alzner and MoJo, this team is faster. It's more adapted to today's NHL and a look at the other teams doing well will tell you that no names or up and comers with speed do better in today's playoffs than guys with proven talent (especially in those middle/deeper forward positions). Most championship teams I've seen have a combination of veteran guys leading and young guys providing a spark. You have Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Carlson as the steady vets. You have Kuzy and Orlov who are going from talented prospects to All-Stars before our eyes. (can't say enough about these two) And you have young guys like Wilson, Vrana, and Stephenson all making big plays. Other teams have had this as well, but see: luck,

THIS D GROUP IS TOP NOTCH
While I don't know if the D-group is as a whole is as talented as years past, the top 3 defenders for the Caps - Carlson, Orlov, and Niskanen - are the best group of 3 in the league right now and the best we've seen from any Caps' team in the last decade. Carlson is absolutely peaking this season. He'll continue to be a great player, but I'll tell you now he will NEVER have another season like this in my opinion. Orlov has been masterful at both ends and has matured from the talented young guy we saw a few years ago to a positioning and physical presence. Niskanen is the steady guy he's always been at the back. On top of that, Kempny has been solid and Djoos has wheels. And Brooks Orpik is making guys hear footsteps and is a +12 himslef, btw. While fans loved Alzner, the advanced stats guys always said he was a liability. Maybe they were right. On top of that, the forwards commitment to defensive play is as good as only 1 or 2 other seasons I've seen from the Caps. And they were sacrificing offensive opportunities to do so (think Hunter years, arggh) - they aren't now.

I just hope all those things continue... because this series isn't done yet.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other possibility is that somewhere in late 2016 we crossed over into some bizarro universe.

Since then, Trump became President, the Cubs won the World Series, and the Eagles won the Super Bowl. Something weird is definitely going on. Ask Kevin, Gene, or Feldman...

wylvd9gmyiqfxcm002ts.jpg

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I compare this years Caps team to the 2011 Canucks ... I got the feeling that if things went bad again against Pitt, the caps would have been torn down (core dismantled - OV to Vegas at the draft ????) Just as was going to happen if the Canucks lost to the Blackhawks in 2011. (Sedins would have been traded and AV would have been fired)

Well, for the Canucks, they slayed their dragon and from that point forward they just played loose and where every playoffs prior they never seemed to get the puck luck, everything suddenly bounced their way :noidea: ... seems like this is happening for the Caps right now

/as the former Kurtenbloggers always mention (and just did now in the cesspool) ... caps look like they are on the verge of escaping the NHL "sad club" (Canucks/Sabres/Blues/Caps) ... "Its like Shawshank and you have to crawl through alot of crap to get out" ... to this date, just when you think you are about to escape the "sad club", things go wrong lol

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I compare this years Caps team to the 2011 Canucks ... I got the feeling that if things went bad again against Pitt, the caps would have been torn down (core dismantled - OV to Vegas at the draft ????) Just as was going to happen if the Canucks lost to the Blackhawks in 2011. (Sedins would have been traded and AV would have been fired)

Well, for the Canucks, they slayed their dragon and from that point forward they just played loose and where every playoffs prior they never seemed to get the puck luck, everything suddenly bounced their way :noidea: ... seems like this is happening for the Caps right now

/as the former Kurtenbloggers always mention (and just did now in the cesspool) ... caps look like they are on the verge of escaping the NHL "sad club" (Canucks/Sabres/Blues/Caps) ... "Its like Shawshank and you have to crawl through alot of crap to get out" ... to this date, just when you think you are about to escape the "sad club", things go wrong lol

They'll never trade Ovi, he is the face of the franchise and adds to the bottom line from a marketing perspective

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other possibility is that somewhere in late 2016 we crossed over into some bizarro universe.

Since then, Trump became President, the Cubs won the World Series, and the Eagles won the Super Bowl. Something weird is definitely going on. Ask Kevin, Gene, or Feldman...

wylvd9gmyiqfxcm002ts.jpg
Deleted because Hakeem Olajuwon was a thing.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if this is the Sad Club are the Leafs all alone in the "God-damn Misery Club"?