• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Completely Non-FF Thoughts

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant 2018...

But the point is that you can make the clear choice at the time, and the results at the end may show you wrong... But at the time it was a no- brainer decision... you made the correct choice... But it did not pay off...

If I bet you 20 years ago whether Pluto was a planet... which side would you have chosen, and how confident would you have been... at the time, wouldn't you say that was the correct choice... just because NOW you are proven wrong, is that relevant to whether you made the correct choice or not...
Yes, again, you answer your own question when you state PROVEN wrong. Again, outcome based. We are not dealing in theorticals, ethics, and moral grounds.......where there may be gray areas. There is, as you said , a PROVEN outcome.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, again, you answer your own question when you state PROVEN wrong. Again, outcome based. We are not dealing in theorticals, ethics, and moral grounds.......where there may be gray areas. There is, as you said , a PROVEN outcome.

I guess it all depends on the question asked....

but any questions about the future can only be based on current knowledge.... and at the time of the decision being made, there has to be a correct choice... right???

its just that that correct choice is not definitive...

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it all depends on the question asked....

but any questions about the future can only be based on current knowledge.... and at the time of the decision being made, there has to be a correct choice... right???

its just that that correct choice is not definitive...
Its not correct or not correct. Its an educated GUESS/CHOICE. Its a projection. So there is uncertainty. It is a TBD outcome. But there will and is an outcome attached to it. So yes, you can feel good about your choice. Im sure at the time the bears did. Im sure at the time the titans did with locker, Im sure at the time the ravens did with boller, and the bills with ej manuel. But Their analysis was wrong, their projections were wrong. They were wrong.

Its not like heres a button, if you push the button you die. If you dont you live. Which do you choose. In that case there is an immediate This or that outcome, there are no alternatives. There is no prediction, there is no other possibility. You press it, you die.

With a draft pick, there is definitive prediction, analysis, projection, and a multitude of outcomes.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not correct or not correct. Its an educated GUESS/CHOICE. Its a projection. So there is uncertainty. It is a TBD outcome. But there will and is an outcome attached to it. So yes, you can feel good about your choice. Im sure at the time the bears did. Im sure at the time the titans did with locker, Im sure at the time the ravens did with boller, and the bills with ej manuel. But Their analysis was wrong, their projections were wrong. They were wrong.

Its not like heres a button, if you push the button you die. If you dont you live. Which do you choose. In that case there is an immediate This or that outcome, there are no alternatives. There is no prediction, there is no other possibility. You press it, you die.

With a draft pick, there is definitive prediction, analysis, projection, and a multitude of outcomes.

but there is still a BEST answer... right???

isn't the BEST answer the correct answer at the time??

and I do think that you ask your self different questions at different times... and in times like this you will ask a question that you are most confident in asking...

For example, On draft day, What is the better question

a. Which player will be better either immediately or a few years in the future
B. Which player fits our current team better

one question is much easier to answer...

which also brings me to the other problem, sometimes players just go to a great situation and flourish while others go to a terrible one and fail, does that mean the player that found success was the better pick??

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but there is still a BEST answer... right???

isn't the BEST answer the correct answer at the time??

and I do think that you ask your self different questions at different times... and in times like this you will ask a question that you are most confident in asking...

For example, On draft day, What is the better question

a. Which player will be better either immediately or a few years in the future
B. Which player fits our current team better

one question is much easier to answer...

which also brings me to the other problem, sometimes players just go to a great situation and flourish while others go to a terrible one and fail, does that mean the player that found success was the better pick??
yes, and you can be wrong! They ATTEMPT to answer those questions when they make the selection. They then become right or wrong.

You want analogies , you keep throwing them out. So in horse racing. A horse goes off at 1/9 . The Public and everyone is ALLLL OVER THAT HORSE. He should romp the field But he comes in second. Were you right to pick him? NO HE LOST!

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, and you can be wrong! They ATTEMPT to answer those questions when they make the selection. They then become right or wrong.

You want analogies , you keep throwing them out. So in horse racing. A horse goes off at 1/9 . The Public and everyone is ALLLL OVER THAT HORSE. He should romp the field But he comes in second. Were you right to pick him? NO HE LOST!

not if I asked myself which horse has the best chance to win??

again, and this is kind of moving the chains... but we have been doing that after each post, as we get further and further to the original point... But we will always ask ourselves easier questions, because we will be more willing to make that decision...

using your horse racing...

if I ask myself, what underdog am I most confident with betting on for the risk/reward... can I ever be WRONG??

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not if I asked myself which horse has the best chance to win??

again, and this is kind of moving the chains... but we have been doing that after each post, as we get further and further to the original point... But we will always ask ourselves easier questions, because we will be more willing to make that decision...

using your horse racing...

if I ask myself, what underdog am I most confident with betting on for the risk/reward... can I ever be WRONG??
But your not asking about chances it's an outcome. If you wanna change the question to chance. Then yes you are correct. ThTs what it boils down to. Are you a person that believe in outcomes. Or are you merely going to say "I tried my best".

everyone gets a trophy.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But your not asking about chances it's an outcome. If you wanna change the question to chance. Then yes you are correct. ThTs what it boils down to. Are you a person that believe in outcomes. Or are you merely going to say "I tried my best".

everyone gets a trophy.

this is not about trying best and everyone winning a trophy... not one bit... its all about the question you ask first... I bet you would be surprised with yourself, how often you make the question easier to answer... that's a human thing...

this is probably all semantics though... Because I will always think the BEST answer is the same thing as the correct answer at the time...

its not to dissolve you from making mistakes... but being judged after the fact is kind of silly as well... isn't it?? Unless your JOB is all about the results... but for those people it doesn't matter what question they asked... and it doesn't matter if their process was correct... and whether or not it was a good decision at the time doesn't matter...

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is not about trying best and everyone winning a trophy... not one bit... its all about the question you ask first... I bet you would be surprised with yourself, how often you make the question easier to answer... that's a human thing...

this is probably all semantics though... Because I will always think the BEST answer is the same thing as the correct answer at the time...

its not to dissolve you from making mistakes... but being judged after the fact is kind of silly as well... isn't it?? Unless your JOB is all about the results... but for those people it doesn't matter what question they asked... and it doesn't matter if their process was correct... and whether or not it was a good decision at the time doesn't matter...
If the best answer doesnt lead to the best possible outcome? how is it the best answer? Isnt football about winning, about the results? Isnt kyle shanahan being chastised right now for his decisions? He thought they were right at the time. They were the BEST answer for him at the time. HE WAS WRONG. They lost. Football is a win/loss sport. It is outcome based. period.

I mean the 0-16 lions, they tried, they drew up game plans, they thought at the time it was the best plan, they were gonna win, but they didnt. They made the best choice then , right?

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also, i dont know where you work, but i think most jobs, well they want you to do a good job. If you fail, mess up, there are usually some consequences............Not a "well you thought it was a good idea" again, philosophy, ethics, religion-maybe. Burger king? perhaps.......but heck even they have expectations.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Stomp were pettigrew and Ebron the correct picks?

Ebron was much worse for several reasons, but both were bad picks. TE should really never be drafted in the 1st as there will always be needs at higher priority positions.

The Lions needed OT help bad and both Oher and Pettigrew were similar talent levels. Pettigrew wasn't a bad player though and performed as expected.

For Ebron we had 2 solid TE on the roster Pettigrew and Sheffler(Who was a FA), that draft was loaded with talent at higher priority positions WR and DB were the big needs at the time, but that draft also had some nice DL talent. On top of that Pettigrews rankings were all over the board and its entirely possible that Mayhew was the only guy that had him as a top 10 prospect.

If you're asking me if I think picks can be wrong. Of course they can all i do is bitch about the dumb picks the Lions have made year after year, but you'll never here me bitch about us drafting a QB when its a team need such as Harrington he didn't end up being the guy, but it was the right pick for the organization to make.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ebron was much worse for several reasons, but both were bad picks. TE should really never be drafted in the 1st as there will always be needs at higher priority positions.

The Lions needed OT help bad and both Oher and Pettigrew were similar talent levels. Pettigrew wasn't a bad player though and performed as expected.

For Ebron we had 2 solid TE on the roster Pettigrew and Sheffler(Who was a FA), that draft was loaded with talent at higher priority positions WR and DB were the big needs at the time, but that draft also had some nice DL talent. On top of that Pettigrews rankings were all over the board and its entirely possible that Mayhew was the only guy that had him as a top 10 prospect.

If you're asking me if I think picks can be wrong. Of course they can all i do is bitch about the dumb picks the Lions have made year after year, but you'll never here me bitch about us drafting a QB when its a team need such as Harrington he didn't end up being the guy, but it was the right pick for the organization to make.
Fair enough. My point isn't that they took a qb. it was that their evaluation was very wrong. And they traded up to get the wrong qb. Furthering the wrong decision. I'm all for doing whatever you have to do get a qb. But damn, you need to be right. Especially with options there. Like your Harrington example. There wasn't much else there. Ramsey? In this case there were options.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Stomp were pettigrew and Ebron the correct picks?

I almost made a similar post to this last night asking if you thought the Steelers passing on Marino was the correct decision because they were afraid to take a chance on the QB they liked.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I almost made a similar post to this last night asking if you thought the Steelers passing on Marino was the correct decision because they were afraid to take a chance on the QB they liked.
I can't answer that to be honest because it was before my time as a fan. I don't know enough about the situation at the time. So I can't really speak on it.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. My point isn't that they took a qb. it was that their evaluation was very wrong. And they traded up to get the wrong qb. Furthering the wrong decision. I'm all for doing whatever you have to do get a qb. But damn, you need to be right. Especially with options there. Like your Harrington example. There wasn't much else there. Ramsey? In this case there were options.

As far as the evaluation goes Trubisky only had one season as a starter in college and if you watch his games in order he was making strides every game and really to be fair he wasn't bad when the Bears line was playing well.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as the evaluation goes Trubisky only had one season as a starter in college and if you watch his games in order he was making strides every game and really to be fair he wasn't bad when the Bears line was playing well.
He wasn't good Either even two
Seasons ago of his 24 touchdowns. 12 came in three games.

i get that he was a one year starter and showed promise. But they made a projection. The evaluated and projected. It was wrong.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best comeback ever

Attachments

• upload_2020-2-11_13-17-24.png
    upload_2020-2-11_13-17-24.png
    732 KB · Views: 2

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a 98 on my Financial Accounting test...shocked I tell you. 3 more months and all this nonsense will be over!