• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

commanders off season thread 2023

dcrising

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're not old school... time, no matter how much of it passes, won't ever change the truthfulness of your statement. I just don't think that it should be the top priority when the most important position on the field is QB.
I don't want to reach for a QB either in the '23 draft after the first 3 or 4. I think you have a competition between howell and someone like jacoby brissett and see what happens in '23 while building the O-line and nabbing secondary and LB help. Then you go get a top flight Qb in the '24 draft if howell is not the answer.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to reach for a QB either in the '23 draft after the first 3 or 4. I think you have a competition between howell and someone like jacoby brissett and see what happens in '23 while building the O-line and nabbing secondary and LB help. Then you go get a top flight Qb in the '24 draft if howell is not the answer.
I keep going back and forth on Carr. He will be released no doubt, so I wonder what type of cash he will command. I really don't know.

If the Howell rumors are simply just rumors and we are undecided at QB, it is a no-brainer to me to use the cap first to secure Carr. In other words, I believe Carr would be more important to this organization than Payne. As I have said, I don't think this team's success lies on whether or not we resign Payne. He is a solid player and he will be missed..however, he isn't Aaron Donald. The biggest issues with this team are NOT the defense at all.

Again, that is IF the Howell rumors are simply rumors. I am not seeing a franchise QB in the 2023 draft currently and Carr will be the best QB on the market once free agency starts. I doubt Rivera drafts a QB in the first 2 rounds because he knows this is his last year with the team more than likely. Why would he waste time developing a QB he won't be coaching?

dcrising

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep going back and forth on Carr. He will be released no doubt, so I wonder what type of cash he will command. I really don't know.

If the Howell rumors are simply just rumors and we are undecided at QB, it is a no-brainer to me to use the cap first to secure Carr. In other words, I believe Carr would be more important to this organization than Payne. As I have said, I don't think this team's success lies on whether or not we resign Payne. He is a solid player and he will be missed..however, he isn't Aaron Donald. The biggest issues with this team are NOT the defense at all.

Again, that is IF the Howell rumors are simply rumors. I am not seeing a franchise QB in the 2023 draft currently and Carr will be the best QB on the market once free agency starts. I doubt Rivera drafts a QB in the first 2 rounds because he knows this is his last year with the team more than likely. Why would he waste time developing a QB he won't be coaching?
i'm only interested in Carr if he is cut by the raiders but this is not a destination place for him if he is released therefore Ron would have to trade for him AND give him a new contract. I would say "homey don't play that". Carr is going to have better options than washington if he is released. NE, TB, MIA, NYJ, CAR, SEA are more attractive places just off the top of my head.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm only interested in Carr if he is cut by the raiders but this is not a destination place for him if he is released therefore Ron would have to trade for him AND give him a new contract. I would say "homey don't play that". Carr is going to have better options than washington if he is released. NE, TB, MIA, NYJ, CAR, SEA are more attractive places just off the top of my head.
I also keep forgetting that we will be a "running team" in 2023...LOL

Carr would not sign here to simply hand the ball off in a 2-to-1 ratio per Mayhew.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love for that sort of plan to work but there are several reasons why it hasn't yet and likely won't.

1. Jacoby Brissett is already a better QB than Howell, his experience and skill set tell me that, so not much competition there.

2. Washington with few exceptions is historically 8-8, or in the new number of games 8-8-1 type of team. This means drafting mid-pack or thereabouts. They will always be out of the high-end QB sweepstakes, unless they trade up, which you don't want and I've read the multitude of comments about tanking...it's ugly!!

3. People often wonder why things rarely "go right" for this team and there's no better comparison than the historical Washington Basketball team. A brief history if you will...
The owner (Pollin) hires a new head coach who wants to install a half-court, walk-it-up offense, except he has gazelles who run getting out of bed, so bad fit, right? So, the new head coach trades out his running team for players more favorable to his style of play. Unfortunately, he continues to lose so of course he's fired after a few seasons, replaced by... wait for it... a new head coach who wants his team to run the court! Now he trades out his inherited players for runners and they don't fare any better than the half-court team did, so he's fired ONLY to be replaced by another half-court wizard (pun intended). This continues until the owner sells/dies and nobody can figure out why that team/organization is never successful!

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fixing the OLine will do wonders and back bad things go away.

Call me old school but the lines of scrimmage are more important than people think.
Always have been.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're not old school... time, no matter how much of it passes, won't ever change the truthfulness of your statement. I just don't think that it should be the top priority when the most important position on the field is QB.
I agree but realistically what qb is the guy in this draft or available by trade or signing ? I am taking fields off the list based on the bears team president public speakings .

I think 24 is the year for that .

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but realistically what qb is the guy in this draft or available by trade or signing ? I am taking fields off the list based on the bears team president public speakings .

I think 24 is the year for that .
Reading through these posts over the years coupled with the ultra-conservative nature of the organization has convinced me that few have the stomach for trading up (using assets), so that generationally eliminates the cream of the crop type players. With that option off of the table, young talented players rarely are on the market but when they are the prevailing sentiment here appears to be..."Naw, we're good with our shit pile." I have identified two players that Washington should move hell and high water to get, one will be much more costly (Fields if he becomes available) the other a lot less so. (Jordan Love)
The 2024 draft is a very serious gamble for Washington, simply because of its historical nature to finish out of the top third of the draft and the now obvious disdain to move up in them. So, here's an unofficial poll question for you and everyone else.

Washington is still in need of an answer to their historical QB question to finish the 2023 season with their usual 7 or 8 wins putting them in a draft position at 14, 15, or 16. Would you or anyone on this board be willing to pay the cost to move up in that draft to finally get an answer to this decades-long question? (I think that I'll create an actual poll for this)

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading through these posts over the years coupled with the ultra-conservative nature of the organization has convinced me that few have the stomach for trading up (using assets), so that generationally eliminates the cream of the crop type players. With that option off of the table, young talented players rarely are on the market but when they are the prevailing sentiment here appears to be..."Naw, we're good with our shit pile." I have identified two players that Washington should move hell and high water to get, one will be much more costly (Fields if he becomes available) the other a lot less so. (Jordan Love)
The 2024 draft is a very serious gamble for Washington, simply because of its historical nature to finish out of the top third of the draft and the now obvious disdain to move up in them. So, here's an unofficial poll question for you and everyone else.

Washington is still in need of an answer to their historical QB question to finish the 2023 season with their usual 7 or 8 wins putting them in a draft position at 14, 15, or 16. Would you or anyone on this board be willing to pay the cost to move up in that draft to finally get an answer to this decades-long question? (I think that I'll create an actual poll for this)
Yes to the 2024 draft and no to the 2023.

I don't think anyone is worth trading up for in the 2023 draft personally.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes to the 2024 draft and no to the 2023.

I don't think anyone is worth trading up for in the 2023 draft personally.
The cost will be steep, especially if Washington finishes in their usual draft position and that cost (paying it) is what this question really is all about.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cost will be steep, especially if Washington finishes in their usual draft position and that cost (paying it) is what this question really is all about.
We won't have a choice if we go the draft route.
It appears to be a good qb class so we might only need to move into a top 12 pick maybe?

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was willing to trade a lot for Watson and all he did was come in here and end our season, but we weren't on his list.

If we were sitting at 7 or 8, yeah, I'd be willing to go get Young or Stroud. I highly doubt Chicago could sell moving from 1 to 16 and if they did, they would want our next three drafts, Sweat, Chase, Tuddy, and anything else not nailed down.

Fields is intriguing, but if I'm Chicago, I'd rather have Fields and three 1st and a couple of 2nds than Bryce Young or Stroud.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was willing to trade a lot for Watson and all he did was come in here and end our season, but we weren't on his list.

If we were sitting at 7 or 8, yeah, I'd be willing to go get Young or Stroud. I highly doubt Chicago could sell moving from 1 to 16 and if they did, they would want our next three drafts, Sweat, Chase, Tuddy, and anything else not nailed down.

Fields is intriguing, but if I'm Chicago, I'd rather have Fields and three 1st and a couple of 2nds than Bryce Young or Stroud.
I never had expectations concerning Watson and this year, it was obvious to me that he would be rusty and possibly not up to his usual productivity. Cleveland will be the team to beat in that division next year. If only there was something that Rivera and Co. could have done to make it very clear to Mr. Watson that he was welcome here...perhaps that is why we weren't on his list.

In the rare event that Washington finds itself at selection 7 or 8, of course, they should attempt to move up, but factually they draft 16th and that means another year of drafting late-round QBs.

You're right Chicago likely keeps Fields and if so, Washington must attempt to go after Love from Green Bay!

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never had expectations concerning Watson and this year, it was obvious to me that he would be rusty and possibly not up to his usual productivity. Cleveland will be the team to beat in that division next year. If only there was something that Rivera and Co. could have done to make it very clear to Mr. Watson that he was welcome here...perhaps that is why we weren't on his list.

In the rare event that Washington finds itself at selection 7 or 8, of course, they should attempt to move up, but factually they draft 16th and that means another year of drafting late-round QBs.

You're right Chicago likely keeps Fields and if so, Washington must attempt to go after Love from Green Bay!
I still think Cincinnati is gonna be favored in that division, but Cleveland is gonna be right there with them. I'd rather try and trade for Rodgers than Love. I do expect Watson to return to form next year.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Cincinnati is gonna be favored in that division, but Cleveland is gonna be right there with them. I'd rather try and trade for Rodgers than Love. I do expect Watson to return to form next year.
Not me, Cleveland will be favored by a lot IMO, and Watson will return to form next year. The scary thing about him is he'll be on a far better team that any one of those that he had in Houston.
I'm teetering between NO and HELL NO for Rodgers...honestly what has he done in the post-season? Beyond that, who gets cut for this guy that they simply cannot afford? Here are his contract details...

1674086515288.png

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Cleveland is gonna be a problem next year. It was hilarious to see how many Skins fans we saying "how could we lose to Cleveland?" It's because they are better than us.

They competed for a playoff spot in the AFC with their back up QB.

I'm not trying to trade for Rodgers, but if we are sending picks GBs way, I would hope it would be for Rodgers.

I'd rather give Howell a shot than trade picks for Love.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Cleveland is gonna be a problem next year. It was hilarious to see how many Skins fans we saying "how could we lose to Cleveland?" It's because they are better than us.

They competed for a playoff spot in the AFC with their back up QB.

I'm not trying to trade for Rodgers, but if we are sending picks GBs way, I would hope it would be for Rodgers.

I'd rather give Howell a shot than trade picks for Love.
I agree with your first two lines!

I'd rather trade for love than Rodgers, in fact, I'd prefer to forfeit draft picks than trade them for Rodgers. My reasons beyond his prohibitive cost follow...
1. Jordan Love cost far less to trade for than Rodgers in terms of draft capital.
2. I don't disagree that Howell needs competition for the job, with Rodgers there's no competition and a setback for Howell's development.
3. Love offers competition because he, like Howell is an unknown and has about the same amount of NFL playing experience.
4. Washington increases its chances two find that elusive long-term answer exponentially with the addition of another young QB, even more if...
5. Washington also drafts another young QB in this draft. (My preference is Hendon Hooker if his knee is ready to go) Giving this team three young gifted athletic QBs to choose from instead of declaring Howell the answer to our prayers which happens to be...quite frankly... dumb as hell!
6. Finally if no trade is in the offering, then I still draft Hooker, yes over Richardson, and for the same reasons why most here loved the Howell pick. (He was the Heisman candidate, in fact, he was the favorite going into week ten of last season. He's smart, a natural leader with uncanny accuracy and touch which are NFL necessary tools that can't be taught, right, and as we speak, injury notwithstanding is top 3 in this class.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. I agree with you on cost.

2. Small sample size, but what little we saw was good. Run, slide, lead receivers, climb the pocket, great deep ball, was running the ball in the endzone in preseason and then again vs. Dallas.

Short, threw a bad pick into triple coverage. Dallas played uninterested. Only threw it 19 times, but what's his yardage if McLaurin and Dotson don't drop? How many points did we really put up if you take into account Slye's performance?

He should be given a real shot in camp.

3. I don't like Love as much as you. I've already put myself in QB purgatory. When it comes to hitting on QBs I'm probably 40 to 45 percent. So you're probably right about Love, but right now I can't support trading for him.

4. Yeah

5. I like both QBs. Richardson is raw and started playing football real late. Hooker is about to be 26 and will probably rehab most of next year.

Those guys put some great stuff on tape this year for sure. Someone probably gets a bust and someone is probably gonna get a major steal. Not sure which QB is which.

6. If the Skins aren't able to pull off a big trade or signing, (Rodgers, Carr, Lamar, Jimmy G, Fields, Stroud, Young) I want them to go with Howell and low cost vet.

Heinicke would be ideal if the fans could keep their man crush on Heinicke in check, realize what he is and not scream for him at the first sign of trouble with Howell.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am just not trading up for Richardson or Levis . Young and /or stroud will cost and when you miss you set back the team 5 yrs

I wait till 24