• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

commanders off season thread 2023

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were warned that Carson Wince was no longer a QB but felt a need to prove that they were smarter than everyone else!
This is all about Snyder . Hopefully new ownership will be better but that isn’t a guarantee.

good ownership , Edward Bennett Williams and JKC were good owners and the teams had success, JKC son and Dan Snyder not so much

if you are trying to be a fan of this team you have to hope new ownership can get it right .

when this team changed its name I said the team would have to earn my fandom and the hard core passion . It can’t as long as Snyder is owner

I never had a 2nd team to follow in my life , I do now because the redskins are dead , only memories.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is all about Snyder . Hopefully new ownership will be better but that isn’t a guarantee.

good ownership , Edward Bennett Williams and JKC were good owners and the teams had success, JKC son and Dan Snyder not so much

if you are trying to be a fan of this team you have to hope new ownership can get it right .

when this team changed its name I said the team would have to earn my fandom and the hard core passion . It can’t as long as Snyder is owner

I never had a 2nd team to follow in my life , I do now because the redskins are dead , only memories.
It certainly doesn't look like it's all about Snyder. To quote the post... "Between last yr + this year's drafts the commanders have used 3 draft picks on QBs And some fans think we should use another pic on what would be the 3rd/4th/5th best QB in this class… why?"

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I almost completely agree with this assessment. The exception being I had him as a third-rounder during his best year at Carolina and he fell to a fourth at draft time.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly...Nothing has changed in Washington. Rivera should have never been hired and once done should have been summarily dismissed after his first or second season here as I wrote about at the time. This link works and it might prove insightful to visit it again just to see how you and everyone else responded to it at the time versus how it all played out now.

Ron Rivera has served his purpose and should be dismissed after the season.

I know that it's way too early for some but hear me out before attacking the messenger. Here are five reasons why they got him and five reasons why they should move on. As I understand it, Ron Rivera was bought in to head the obvious rebuild needed in Washington, but let's take a look at what...

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team needs an infusion of talented youth at the QB position and not just any human body that can stand up and toss a football. Howell needs real competition for the job, Rivera needs to extricate himself from whatever is scaring him into his safe place, and as an organization, Washington must commit itself to finally solving its long-running QB issues.

Let's have some honest clarity about everything that has been offered to date. Rolling with Howell is NOT a plan, it is an admission or for those of you insisting upon something stronger, submission... One based on the realization that at this point they have no other options and no real plan to change or alter that reality.

Last edited:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It certainly doesn't look like it's all about Snyder. To quote the post... "Between last yr + this year's drafts the commanders have used 3 draft picks on QBs And some fans think we should use another pic on what would be the 3rd/4th/5th best QB in this class… why?"
i think you are conflating 2 issues .

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team needs an infusion of talented youth at the QB position and not just any human body that can stand up and toss a football. Howell needs real competition for the job, Rivera needs to extricate himself from whatever is scaring him into his safe place, and as an organization, Washington must commit itself to finally solving its long-running QB issues.

Let's have some honest clarity about everything that has been offered to date. Rolling with Howell is NOT a plan, it is an admission or for those of you insisting upon something stronger, submission... One based on the realization that at this point they have no other options and no real plan to change or alter that reality.
i believe howell should have competition , young competition , i just dont see it available in this draft , i see 2024 as the one to go get one

now if there is a qb in this draft you feel we should trade up for i am all ears and i am interested in what you have to say

i dont see it , because we still have to build the team but then the cap becomes an issue because draft capitol will be used and my only reference is the RG3 trade

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think you are conflating 2 issues .
Perhaps you're right, help me out with this but my response was in relation to what was posted. I read nothing into it beyond what was actually written. If I am conflating 2 issues in my response, which are they?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i believe howell should have competition , young competition , i just dont see it available in this draft , i see 2024 as the one to go get one

now if there is a qb in this draft you feel we should trade up for i am all ears and i am interested in what you have to say

i dont see it , because we still have to build the team but then the cap becomes an issue because draft capitol will be used and my only reference is the RG3 trade
I agree that Howell must have competition, but what causes a sustained head-scratching is the largely unanswered question relating to WHERE this competition comes from. To say that it isn't available in this draft is to say that there won't be any real competition where it's most needed...correct?

My plan included two tradeable options that offer real competition for the job. It includes an addition of a draft player who, if option one fails and if he is fully recovered, will provide the youth and competition for the job (Hooker) In this draft. Washington won't get a better shot at a better QB because of where they've once again landed in the draft, their historical reluctance to move up, and a seemingly natural proclivity to over-value draft picks when the glaring need goes unfilled year after year after year.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dint think anybody thinks Howell shouldnt have competition.

I dont personally think that trading for anybody is a good idea - Jordan love, trey lance, Carr, Grap.

I do think the way to go is to draft a qb, and sign a backup that can at least make all the throws.

We ought to be able to get a qb in here that can take advantage of what is a trio of very good wrs at the very least.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dint think anybody thinks Howell shouldnt have competition.

I dont personally think that trading for anybody is a good idea - Jordan love, trey lance, Carr, Grap.

I do think the way to go is to draft a qb, and sign a backup that can at least make all the throws.

We ought to be able to get a qb in here that can take advantage of what is a trio of very good wrs at the very least.
I'm pretty clear on the whole competition bit but have yet to hear about who and what that competition must be.

The goal, I think, is to upgrade the position, and without trading for the same, if available offers us zero competition.

IMO drafting a late-round QB puts us in the same situation as not having drafted a late-round QB. I simply don't believe in them and even when they show promise, the gigantic leaps and bounds that they have to make just to become a middle-tier NFL QB are daunting! I'm not saying that it can't be done, I just don't believe in this long-shot approach. Washington has been doing that for the entirety of the Snyder ownership AND they've taken this approach without hiring an accompanying complimentary HC who develops him, through a scheme, that uses the strengths of said player.

Signing a veteran that can at least make all of the throws AND is available was just tried... I give you... Carson Wince!!

One other thing, right now, Sam Howell is just another novice with one game's worth of experience. What makes him a novice? Well, unless they hire an OC in-house who wants to stick with the old offensive scheme, he too will be new to the new offense. How on earth do you sell the idea to your veterans that the plan is to go with a second-year rookie, a late-round rookie, and a dud whose job will be that of an I.C.E guy? (I.C.E. = In Case of Emergency)

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why starting TH after the CW injury was a huge mistake. Should have played Howell and would have known what we have in him. Now it's a risk to say if Howell is the guy or not. I think he should get a chance.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think it’s that hard, Sty, but I do think it’s a LOT of work:

A new OC COULD come in and get with Howell and ask him which 10-20 plays he likes to run (feels confident running, can recognize coverages, schemes, knows his reads against multiple defensive looks, etc.), abd build an offense around those plays with the skill players he has now.

Howell threw to Brown in college, so some of those plays could/should go through Brown.

A new OC could do the same with Terry, as he is essentially the leader of the offense (or its best player), and do the same with Robinson/Gibson.

That way an offense would be built around Howell’s strengths, instead of making everybody conform to an outsider.

Like I said, it isnt hard, just a lot of work.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why starting TH after the CW injury was a huge mistake. Should have played Howell and would have known what we have in him. Now it's a risk to say if Howell is the guy or not. I think he should get a chance.

Disagree. TH knew the offense, and the commanders were in the playoffs when wince went down playing the bears.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were warned that Carson Wince was no longer a QB but felt a need to prove that they were smarter than everyone else!
The Wentz trade was the worst trade I can remember in quite some time. It literally made no sense. Dean didn't see it that way though.