• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
And since I am now all worked up about one of my favo(u)rite topics, the Canada-US tax treaty is meant to help people avoid taxation in both countries.

Another fun hypothetical: when I win the $1B Powerball down here, I will need a cooperative and trustworthy Canuck to help me exploit the provisions of the tax treaty. In the US, lottery winnings are taxable and with State taxes, looking at about a 45% total tax rate. A friendly Canadian who wins the lottery will be subject to only a 30% tax rate as mandated by the tax treaty. Of course, lottery winnings are not taxed in Canada, so 30% is the total tax bill. This extra 15% tax on $1B is about $150M, so when I win I will be looking for a Canuck to cash the ticket for me, pay the 30% tax and give me the net proceeds. For a fee of course.
I await your Nigerian Prince email :thumb:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I already have this arrangement with my brother and my sister in law lol

/and for the Canadians buying Powerball tickets ... if the ticket physically leaves the continental US, it is void ... so when I buy tickets I usually leave them at my relatives house ... doubt I ever hear from them again if its a winner :ohwell:
Didn't think the ticket was void, just didn't think we were allowed to bring them cross border (ie. A border rule, not a lottery rule)

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't think the ticket was void, just didn't think we were allowed to bring them cross border (ie. A border rule, not a lottery rule)
ahh you are right ... and I have some questions for my brother :think:

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ahh you are right ... and I have some questions for my brother :think:

I was going to hold onto the ticket and when it wins, send the following text to my Friendly and Trustworthy Canadian:

"Hey <insert name here>, remember that lottery ticket you asked me to buy for you? Yes it won. You have 6 months to come down to claim your winnings. And you owe me $2 for the ticket"

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Did not know that, wonder what the point is
Potentially avoiding wholesale tax avoidance of your plan outlined above.

Maybe the loophole of cross border currency movements (for tix that have already won), like you need to fill paperwork if you bring across more than $10k

I know that up here, if you win 10k on a scratch off for example, there are certain bars you can go to where the hells angels etc will pay you cash for it, plus a little sweetener.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The crappy part for Tavares is even if he gets taxed at the higher rate he gets a foreign tax credit on his US tax return and that’s a dollar for dollar credit against any US taxes. The only problem is if he filed his 2018 return timely, he cannot go back and amend it or file a protective claim for a refund as it’s out of statue now.

This is why any smart athlete takes their pay in bitcoin.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy hell, how do you miss that?

Another angle - Ref is right there.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's time to start fining the refs to send a message to start doing a better job :noidea:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spending $8 mil on just Domi and Bertuzzi.

I don’t think it’s outside the realm of possibility at all that all of Shanny, Tre and Keefe are fired at the end of the year. Fat Eddie might not want to do it but this is pathetic.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spending $8 mil on just Domi and Bertuzzi.

I don’t think it’s outside the realm of possibility at all that all of Shanny, Tre and Keefe are fired at the end of the year. Fat Eddie might not want to do it but this is pathetic.
Can you wait until next year? I don't need any of them in the job market this summer. Thanks.