• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a team with all the money in the world. If and when this can't get done in time for the season you've got to think the blame rests with the player on this one. How can this not get done.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a team with all the money in the world. If and when this can't get done in time for the season you've got to think the blame rests with the player on this one. How can this not get done.

His representation is being incredibly stubborn. If all the reports are true (and this is Bob, so...), that's really the bottom line. Any of those figures are incredibly generous for the player Mitch is today and when combined with his marketing potential as a Leaf all but ensures he'll be one of the highest-earning players in the league for the foreseeable future despite not being a top-25 talent.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have felt this way for a while now. If the Leafs have offered him $11M AAV and he wont take it, then trade his @$$

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have felt this way for a while now. If the Leafs have offered him $11M AAV and he wont take it, then trade his @$$
You need to find a team who will pay that, and then you have to negotiate a trade with them.

With Anaheim about to unload Kase for Faulk apparently there's really only one real option for a trade and that's Columbus but they must see Seth Jones as untouchable and that's probably the only piece the Leafs would have interest in as a basis for a deal.

Which means the Leafs still have all the leverage and eventually this is going to conclude with Mitch either taking one of the deals Bob mentioned (or similar) or sitting the year.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I usually take the side of players over ownership, but when somebody is being offered guaranteed money of 11 million per season over multiple seasons and they're still not signing on the dotted line...

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need to find a team who will pay that, and then you have to negotiate a trade with them.

With Anaheim about to unload Kase for Faulk apparently there's really only one real option for a trade and that's Columbus but they must see Seth Jones as untouchable and that's probably the only piece the Leafs would have interest in as a basis for a deal.

Which means the Leafs still have all the leverage and eventually this is going to conclude with Mitch either taking one of the deals Bob mentioned (or similar) or sitting the year.

Maybe he'll just pivot to a previously used tactic and bring goalie pads to the first day of camp instead :wink:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Jackets could afford him, but no way they would move anything close to what the Leafs want them to. The first D man on the depth chart the Jackets would consider moving at this point is Savard. He's 4th/5th depending on who you ask.

They want the core to stay together and they will move (as many as) 3 D men and (hopefully) a goalie to get help up front.

Now, if you want to talk Nylander...

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jackets could afford him, but no way they would move anything close to what the Leafs want them to. The first D man on the depth chart the Jackets would consider moving at this point is Savard. He's 4th/5th depending on who you ask.

They want the core to stay together and they will move (as many as) 3 D men and (hopefully) a goalie to get help up front.

Now, if you want to talk Nylander...

Well, that is fine if you are happy with your goal scoring capabilities. If you are then sure, hold your top 4 D.

But you gotta give something to get something. You might find a GM willing to trade a high end player for a bag of rocks (where is Chia again?) but I dont like the chances. GMs should have learned by now that a lot of crap is still, well, a pile of crap.

That would be the TOR pitch, who knows if it goes anywhere.

/the idea of Marner playing for Torts is kinda amusing, tbh

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that is fine if you are happy with your goal scoring capabilities. If you are then sure, hold your top 4 D.

But you gotta give something to get something. You might find a GM willing to trade a high end player for a bag of rocks (where is Chia again?) but I dont like the chances. GMs should have learned by now that a lot of crap is still, well, a pile of crap.

I could be forgetting a deal or two but other than Hall-for-Larsson defence-for-forward blockbusters haven't really panned out in recent memory - Nashville traded a top 4 D for RyJo and while initially it seemed smart (Jones hadn't fully developed yet) RyJo never really got into that top tier of centres and now Jones is, uh, very good. Anaheim had a great collection of D-men a few years ago, completely mismanaged it (Theodore lost in the expansion draft, Vatanen traded for a 3C on a good team, Manson for a pick) and have nothing good to show for it. I can't even remember what the Isles got for Hamonic but it wasn't enough. Winnipeg was up against the cap but they basically gave Trouba away.

In general, I would rather keep the good defence. A stud 1D has to be the rarest commodity in the NHL.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be forgetting a deal or two but other than Hall-for-Larsson defence-for-forward blockbusters haven't really panned out in recent memory - Nashville traded a top 4 D for RyJo and while initially it seemed smart (Jones hadn't fully developed yet) RyJo never really got into that top tier of centres and now Jones is, uh, very good. Anaheim had a great collection of D-men a few years ago, completely mismanaged it (Theodore lost in the expansion draft, Vatanen traded for a 3C on a good team, Manson for a pick) and have nothing good to show for it. I can't even remember what the Isles got for Hamonic but it wasn't enough. Winnipeg was up against the cap but they basically gave Trouba away.

In general, I would rather keep the good defence. A stud 1D has to be the rarest commodity in the NHL.

Geez, whose side are you on? :wink:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, it would be amusing to anyone outside Columbus. Here it would be an ulcer inducing mess. Like it was with Johansen.

I think the Jackets scoring will be okay. Obviously, not "one guy will replace Panarin" okay, but better than thought. Texier and Bjorkstrand should have strong years and Bemstrom will help the PP.

What the Jackets need is a 2/3 C who can and will shoot the puck and will help Nyquist get some goals. Wennberg hasn't shown he is that. Don't need to give up a top 4 D for that. Nylander is a big ask, I know but he fits the mold of what I'd like to have.

Maybe a top 4 potential D (Andrew Peeke) and a proven shut down guy who can score (Savard). Hell, we'll give ya Wennberg too if you give us back a second.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I randomly stumbled on this. I'm surprised it's not already out and on everyone's Christmas list but maybe Big Baller will pick it up? :wink:

Road to the NHeLL – by Paul Marner and Ghost Writer Jude MacDonald | Kelly Consulting Agency

So I saw this in my bookmarks and clicked, and it would seem that the Marners are no longer using this agency... or maybe they pulled the projects to add the controversial final chapters? I feel like the children's book his mom wrote had already finished its story but who knows? Maybe she's the one leaking to Dreger :wink:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does he actually think there’s meat in this tweet or is he cognizant if the fact this is a nothing post?

It’s gotten so bad his own coworkers are beating on him.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does seem like this might mercifully be ending though. Both Paul and Chris Johnson are saying there’s been progress.