• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the Raptors blew that one is unreal. Also that final shot after Cousins basically handed the game was brutal.

Up by 6 with the ball and all the momentum so they call a TO. Then the Warriors get the next 10 or so points after the TO. :L

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The basketball gods didn't appreciate the Raptors fans cheering Durant's injury. Can't say I blame them.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to say that was peak Toronto sports but then I remember there are still 2 games to lose and am terrified at what may come.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair it was only the fans from Brampton cheering it. We can sacrifice them.

So... like... what exactly is *wrong* with Brampton? Are there good places to live that are a reasonable commute distance away for someone who works in Brampton?

Seems a really big company in an industry I have experience in is looking for someone to do the job I do now up there and it is actually based in Brampton. I am trying to decide if a summer trip/interview is worth it.

Also another company in Richmond Hill. Both are probably closer to Toronto than I want to be.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So... like... what exactly is *wrong* with Brampton? Are there good places to live that are a reasonable commute distance away for someone who works in Brampton?

Seems a really big company in an industry I have experience in is looking for someone to do the job I do now up there and it is actually based in Brampton. I am trying to decide if a summer trip/interview is worth it.

Also another company in Richmond Hill. Both are probably closer to Toronto than I want to be.
It's difficult to explain. I'll try my best without veering off course or sounding insensitive.

1) As a suburb, it's about as bad as can be. Traffic into/out of Toronto from there is maybe the worst in the region. Nobody there can drive and insurance scams are abundant which makes it the home of the highest insurance rates in the country. It's planned terribly, has very few physical features that provide any charm and it's one of the few immediate suburbs to still have development-ready land available meaning the above is only likely to get worse.

2) It is home to the highest concentration of South Asians in Canada. Toronto’s suburbs are in some cases very, very self-segregated (neighbouring Woodbridge is majority Italian, Markham on the other side of the region is majority SE Asian, etc.). This obviously in of itself is not a negative but some realities do need to be considered – such communities can feel very insular to those who are not of the same race/culture, neighbours’ cooking odours do tend to travel and they are extremely pungent, and of higher concern lately is the fact that crime in the area among South Asians is very much on the rise. The crime part in particular is resulting in the more negative reputation of the area.

3) In terms of a place to commute to for employment, it’s actually kind of plum. There are some pretty nice nearby suburbs and areas that wouldn’t take much more than 20-30 minutes each way to get to – Meadowvale, Streetsville, Port Credit, Caledon, Georgetown, Oakville etc. are all great nearby places to live with great schools, hospitals, recreational facilities etc.

As for Richmond Hill, it’s a lot nicer. King City, Aurora and Newmarket aren’t entirely far from there although the drive from the last two can get pretty heavy. Brooklin and the other eastern towns are an option too.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's difficult to explain. I'll try my best without veering off course or sounding insensitive.

1) As a suburb, it's about as bad as can be. Traffic into/out of Toronto from there is maybe the worst in the region. Nobody there can drive and insurance scams are abundant which makes it the home of the highest insurance rates in the country. It's planned terribly, has very few physical features that provide any charm and it's one of the few immediate suburbs to still have development-ready land available meaning the above is only likely to get worse.

2) It is home to the highest concentration of South Asians in Canada. Toronto’s suburbs are in some cases very, very self-segregated (neighbouring Woodbridge is majority Italian, Markham on the other side of the region is majority SE Asian, etc.). This obviously in of itself is not a negative but some realities do need to be considered – such communities can feel very insular to those who are not of the same race/culture, neighbours’ cooking odours do tend to travel and they are extremely pungent, and of higher concern lately is the fact that crime in the area among South Asians is very much on the rise. The crime part in particular is resulting in the more negative reputation of the area.

3) In terms of a place to commute to for employment, it’s actually kind of plum. There are some pretty nice nearby suburbs and areas that wouldn’t take much more than 20-30 minutes each way to get to – Meadowvale, Streetsville, Port Credit, Caledon, Georgetown, Oakville etc. are all great nearby places to live with great schools, hospitals, recreational facilities etc.

As for Richmond Hill, it’s a lot nicer. King City, Aurora and Newmarket aren’t entirely far from there although the drive from the last two can get pretty heavy. Brooklin and the other eastern towns are an option too.

There's a suburb here (Dublin) that is kind of like that. It's "landlocked" and traffic is just awful in and out of there. If you can stay contained in it, it's not so bad. But trying to get from there to downtown is the worst ever. Up to an hour on a bad weather day. From where I live, maybe 25 minutes and I am further from the downtown core than there.

I have been to both Markham (previous employer had an office there) and spent a few days in a Hotel in Oakville on a trip up there and kind of liked both areas. Oakville was really nice.

Thanks for the info. Was just curious. Have always had an eye on living up there, but I am not convinced GTA is for me unless I am as far away as somewhere between Kitchener and London. I have gotten too used to my little city here and don't really want to get back into a mega-opolis.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a suburb here (Dublin) that is kind of like that. It's "landlocked" and traffic is just awful in and out of there. If you can stay contained in it, it's not so bad. But trying to get from there to downtown is the worst ever. Up to an hour on a bad weather day. From where I live, maybe 25 minutes and I am further from the downtown core than there.

I have been to both Markham (previous employer had an office there) and spent a few days in a Hotel in Oakville on a trip up there and kind of liked both areas. Oakville was really nice.

Thanks for the info. Was just curious. Have always had an eye on living up there, but I am not convinced GTA is for me unless I am as far away as somewhere between Kitchener and London. I have gotten too used to my little city here and don't really want to get back into a mega-opolis.
I grew up in Oakville (as did the guy in the pic) and moved back there last year. Maybe a little biased but it was named the best place to live in the country last year so I guess there's some merit to it.

But I'm kind of in the same boat, the big city life is pretty god damn taxing. If I had the same work opportunity elsewhere I'd probably take it at this point but there just isn't the same opportunity in any of the nearby mid-sized cities and smaller places out west that I've thought about looking for work in (Victoria, Kelowna) aren't in the habit of handing out long-term contracts in my field and I can't uproot Mrs. BBB just to come back a year from now because work dried up.

Considered the States too (wife's from NJ originally) but at this point in my life having to learn all my day-to-day shit in imperial just doesn't seem as worth it.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grew up in Oakville (as did the guy in the pic) and moved back there last year. Maybe a little biased but it was named the best place to live in the country last year so I guess there's some merit to it.

But I'm kind of in the same boat, the big city life is pretty god damn taxing. If I had the same work opportunity elsewhere I'd probably take it at this point but there just isn't the same opportunity in any of the nearby mid-sized cities and smaller places out west that I've thought about looking for work in (Victoria, Kelowna) aren't in the habit of handing out long-term contracts in my field and I can't uproot Mrs. BBB just to come back a year from now because work dried up.

Considered the States too (wife's from NJ originally) but at this point in my life having to learn all my day-to-day shit in imperial just doesn't seem as worth it.

I literally only chose to book the hotel in Oakville because that's where James Hinchcliffe is from :) We were up there for some college visits and I wanted to stay in Hinchtown. I liked it because even though it was between two metro areas, it felt somewhat like a small community. Close enough to stuff but not too close.

The biggest thing I couldn't deal with where I lived in Baltimore was the constant crush of people. I lived in a popular suburb and even on a random Tuesday night there could be an hour and half wait for a table at a restaurant. 22 miles from the office, and an hour each way on a good day. It just wears you out.