• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy gold out of Edmonton

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even think the Caps were all that interested in Kane, likely feigned interest just to drive up the price. Looking forward to the implosion in Edmonton.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt any second team was ever interested. It was just the agent trying to make the Oilers get the paper signed.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt any second team was ever interested. It was just the agent trying to make the Oilers get the paper signed.
A team signed Tony DeAngelo this offseason and he was as toxic or worse. Not finding it hard to think at least one other club probably offered him something.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can somebody explain to me how the investigation the NHL conducted that found no wrongdoing by Kane and subsequently allowed the Oilers to sign him also permitted the Sharks to terminate his contract and get out from under his cap hit because those two things don't seem to align for me?

Granted, I'm not the smartest guy in the room :D

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes Evander, but there are mistakes and then there fucking mistakes!
Listening to his agent today just sums up just why he's going to be who he is for the rest of his career there's just absolutely no accountability on that side for Evander Kane he's going to blow up on Edmonton's and whoever takes a chance on him next it's just ridiculous that is even in the league

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to his agent today just sums up just why he's going to be who he is for the rest of his career there's just absolutely no accountability on that side for Evander Kane he's going to blow up on Edmonton's and whoever takes a chance on him next it's just ridiculous that is even in the league
Dave Chappelle Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how serious to take this tweet lol
If you had to guess three clubs who could sign a guy like this and have it fly under the radar/not get their fanbase in a tizzy wouldn't it be the 3 SE clubs?

So I guess the question is how in it were Calgary, and given that they've been mentioned for other scorers this season (Eichel in particular), I guess it would make sense.

Again, not sure why people are so shocked by teams being interested in a 30 goal scorer available for dirt cheap. These GM's show over and over again they value talent over anything else, even if the talented guy is pure chaos.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that a lot of GMs would sell their own children for a contender, but I guess I had too much hope that Kane's particular antics would have been a bridge too far. like the reaction to Voynov and Virtanen, I guess I had hoped that the culture of the league would hold up and stand up against another domestic abuser with the same fervor here.

Although, I would have probably enjoyed him going to Tampa or Florida and killing the room in those places.

edit: Also from the very second his SJ contract termed it was always "Edmonton and others" but no other was ever identified, so I had hoped only Edmonton was really that stupid.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you had to guess three clubs who could sign a guy like this and have it fly under the radar/not get their fanbase in a tizzy wouldn't it be the 3 SE clubs?

So I guess the question is how in it were Calgary, and given that they've been mentioned for other scorers this season (Eichel in particular), I guess it would make sense.

Again, not sure why people are so shocked bity teams being interested in a 30 goal scorer available for dirt cheap. These GM's show over and over again they value talent over anything else, even if the talented guy is pure chaos.

To me, it just looks like Elliotte rushing to the defense of the Oilers due to the backlash they are receiving for this signing. I have no doubt that GM's made some inquiries, but how serious were they and once they heard the financial numbers, how quickly did they back out? That's the problem with reading a 280 character tweet, it leaves out a lot of details.

Also, and this is a minor point, but he's hit 30 goals (exactly on the number) twice in his career - That's being a little generous calling him a 30 goal scorer, don't you think? He hasn't played a lot of hockey lately either, how quickly will he be able to get up to speed?

Good luck Edmonton.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, it just looks like Elliotte rushing to the defense of the Oilers due to the backlash they are receiving for this signing. I have no doubt that GM's made some inquiries, but how serious were they and once they heard the financial numbers, how quickly did they back out? That's the problem with reading a 280 character tweet, it leaves out a lot of details.

Also, and this is a minor point, but he's hit 30 goals (exactly on the number) twice in his career - That's being a little generous calling him a 30 goal scorer, don't you think? He hasn't played a lot of hockey lately either, how quickly will he be able to get up to speed?

Good luck Edmonton.
His career g/82 is 28.1, so no, not really. Since 16-17 he’s averaged 32 g/82, and he’s 35th in total goals scored in that period despite missing this season to date. Which is even more impressive when considering he’s played on some absolutely terrible teams since then.

And I dunno if Elliotte’s sticking up for Edmonton (I’m not sure if he has a history of defending them or not tbh) but I’m just basing it more on what I definitely know about NHL general managers than anything else. Could the Oilers have been bidding against themselves by the end? Sure. But I don’t doubt at least one other guy went to him with a mil or so saying take it or leave it.

Again, for all the reactions Kane’s caused in dressing rooms, DeAngelo did as bad or worse and the Hurricanes have the 4th best record in the league with nary a peep from him. No reason for a GM to think he can’t do likewise with Kane.

And like you and others have said, Edmonton’s locker room is a lot less stable than Carolina’s or those other teams mentioned. The explosives are there just waiting for Kane to push the lever.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One other thing about DeAngelo is that his dust up with the Rangers was the first and maybe he is capable of learning how to behave to keep the gravy train rolling. Kane has not shown that he is capable.

A second chance versus a 6th chance is not equal footing.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, BBB, I will agree with you that NHL general managers will definitely look past character if it might get them a few points in the standings. Far be it from me to tell anyone how to be a fan, but I would be seriously disappointed and embarrassed if the Flames would have signed Kane to the point that I would seriously consider rooting for a different team.

/Not the Leafs, though :D

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One other thing about DeAngelo is that his dust up with the Rangers was the first and maybe he is capable of learning how to behave to keep the gravy train rolling. Kane has not shown that he is capable.

A second chance versus a 6th chance is not equal footing.
He called a black dude a slur in Junior lol hardly his first second chance.