• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy gold out of Edmonton

Harry Crack

Best 8 sec's of her life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I guess Mark Spector wrote an article about the hiring of Tyler Dellow by the Oilers and he was very snarky. The article has since been removed, but here are some of the juicy tidbits:

No one criticized certain moves by Oilers management more sharply (or sarcastically) than Dellow. On Tuesday, after rumoured consultation with Dellow for months, head coach Dallas Eakins and GM Craig MacTavish have invited him into their inner circle.

From Mom’s basement to Hockey Op’s. That’s quite a leap, and it couldn’t have happened to a more notorious guy.

Dellow was The Voice of analytics online and has spawned protégés. There are others who do what Dellow did when it comes to championing analytics, but nobody did it like he did, slathered in smarm and condescension, with an antagonistic side dish of provocation.

Just as Dellow became the Pied Piper of hockey stats geeks, so too did his aggressive behaviour become a stereotype that has hindered popular acceptance of that community. Mc79hockey believed that any dissenting views should be targeted for ridicule, and if Dellow acts the same way in his new job, he won’t last. Period.

I’ve had a few twitter conversations with the man, but Dellow found a way to make most of them personal. That is why when mainstream hockey writers like myself repeat that we don’t dislike analytics, just many of the people who ply the trade, we’re speaking of Dellow.
He knew everything about the game from his spot outside the circle. Now he is inside, with a chance to prove how smart he’s always said he is.

Godspeed, Tyler. This is where preparation and opportunity meet.
I am a huge fan of Mark Spector. One of the few non-robots in the Oilers sphere

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I'm only skimmed the article, but what I did read was some pretty good stuff. Things will be interesting in Oil Country this season.

that was a huge article. that guy made some serious enemies they will be relentlessly attacked and now he cant attack back being part of a er um ahh having trouble saying it "professional" NHL organization. it will be bad if it acts like he did in the past to the mainstream media. they will bury them

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Gomez to Edmonton?

I don't know if Scott Gomez can successfully anchor a second line for 82 games, but at this point, we're getting kind of desperate. He made 900K last year, and 700K the year before with San Jose, and he's coming off a year where he was in press row a lot. He was put on waivers after Florida decided they'd play the young centres en route to winning the Ekblad Olympics. Having David Perron and Teddy Purcell or Nail Yakupov is somewhat nicer than having Jimmy Hayes and Sean Bergenheim as your partners.

I bet you a phone call from the Oilers would sound pretty good to him right now...

Hitting The Bargain Bin For A UFA Centre - The Copper & Blue

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Gomez to Edmonton?

I don't know if Scott Gomez can successfully anchor a second line for 82 games, but at this point, we're getting kind of desperate. He made 900K last year, and 700K the year before with San Jose, and he's coming off a year where he was in press row a lot. He was put on waivers after Florida decided they'd play the young centres en route to winning the Ekblad Olympics. Having David Perron and Teddy Purcell or Nail Yakupov is somewhat nicer than having Jimmy Hayes and Sean Bergenheim as your partners.

I bet you a phone call from the Oilers would sound pretty good to him right now...

Hitting The Bargain Bin For A UFA Centre - The Copper & Blue

lol they should call the Flyers for Vinny then if they're desperate because a broken down Vinny is still way better than Scott Gomez at this point

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oilers have signed Leon Draisaitl to an ELC - Will he be the starting second line centre on opening night?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oilers have signed Leon Draisaitl to an ELC - Will he be the starting second line centre on opening night?

Ask Spector, after all he's watched him play twice :wink:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guy Flaming @TPS_Guy · 25m
Bad news for @PARaidersHockey as @DuckMillard breaks the news that @Drat_29 will play in Europe if not with the Oilers. On now at @TSN1260

I could be wrong, but I don't think that is allowed under the current CBA and the fact that Draisaitl was drafted out of the CHL. I think it's either Edmonton or Prince Albert for Leon.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guy Flaming @TPS_Guy · 25m
Bad news for @PARaidersHockey as @DuckMillard breaks the news that @Drat_29 will play in Europe if not with the Oilers. On now at @TSN1260

I could be wrong, but I don't think that is allowed under the current CBA and the fact that Draisaitl was drafted out of the CHL. I think it's either Edmonton or Prince Albert for Leon.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a team can loan a player to a European club right? There's talk that if Isles defense prospect Ville Pokka doesn't make the team he might not play in the AHL, but go back to Finland for the season because he can make more money.

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the AHL though... different rules for a CHL aged player.

Like Dash, I'm not fully clear on the rules.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the AHL though... different rules for a CHL aged player.

Like Dash, I'm not fully clear on the rules.

Well according to the Oilers, it's Edmonton or Prince Albert. I suppose Leon could be a malcontent and hold out.

Jim Matheson @NHLbyMatty
Draisaitl cannot go to Europe to play if doesn't make oilers. Because drafted out of chl has to play for junior team, so say Oilers.#oilers

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, this thread started with a Edmonton blog comparing Jeff Petry to PK Subban - Now they're comparing Justin Schultz to PK Subban (lol)

Justin Schultz?s contract will be two or three years | Edmonton Journal

This thread is the gift that keeps on giving...

eddie_leisure.jpg

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last three years, the Oilers have finished 30th, 30th, and 29th, yet they have no glaring needs according to David Staples. To be fair, Justin Schultz looks to be the real deal on defense and should help, but they stil have a suspect defense corps and the goaltending situation is still shaky.

Geez, I must have drunk too much cough syrup that day to declare that Justin Schultz is the real deal...

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great quote from Eakins about Dellow in Mirtle's column the other day. He's been saying a lot of things lately to make me like him.

“I heard through the grapevine [during the year] he was being highly critical of our team,” Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins said on Tuesday.

“That didn’t bother me. I’m like, ‘How can he not be highly critical of our team? We’re in 28th place.’ So of course he was.”

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geez, I must have drunk too much cough syrup that day to declare that Justin Schultz is the real deal...

Nah. I still think he has what it takes to be a very good offensive defenseman. Those Corsi stats are pretty alarming though.

He certainly shouldn't be compared to Subban, or to Karlsson, as Oilers fans were wont to do a year or so ago. :burt: